Thread Tools
Mar 17, 2008, 10:53 PM
Alpine Soaring in Wyoming
Help!

Scale ships with multiple wing panels


Are there any scale ships/gliders out there with 4-5m WS which have multiple wing panels?? Transport & storage would be a lot easier if there would be 3 (or 4) wing sections.
Any suggestions?? Thanks
Erich
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 17, 2008, 11:27 PM
Registered User
PeteSchug's Avatar
There's no kit for the HP8 and probably never will be, but it was a pretty slick glider and it had a three piece wing.

I wonder if there are three views of it. I remember it as being a pretty fantastic looking vee tail. It was based at the field where I learned to fly.

Pete
Mar 17, 2008, 11:51 PM
70 is the new 50
bobthenuke's Avatar
The Tangent Nimbus 4 has 2 panels per side...6 meter total.


I'd love to find a kit or plans for an HP-18, Pete; used to own one.

-bob
Mar 18, 2008, 03:19 AM
Registered User
Big Nuts 181's Avatar
the old patt teakle range of gliders had an HP 18 in the line up to 1/4 scale they fly fantastic, as did all of pats models. A new owner has bought all of pats moulds and has begun production again, can't remember the name though.
Mar 18, 2008, 04:28 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Roger Lombard's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Nuts 181
the old patt teakle range of gliders had an HP 18 in the line up to 1/4 scale they fly fantastic, as did all of pats models. A new owner has bought all of pats moulds and has begun production again, can't remember the name though.
I think it was an outfit called Northernridge sailplanes but I can't find a website

daveosaur might know because he's referred to them a couple of times in this forum.

Edit - I tracked it down through the BARCS site but the outcome is bizarre

www.northernridgesailplanes.com

Anybody explain that?
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Mar 18, 2008 at 04:34 AM.
Mar 18, 2008, 06:50 AM
Registered User
PeteSchug's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthenuke
The Tangent Nimbus 4 has 2 panels per side...6 meter total.


I'd love to find a kit or plans for an HP-18, Pete; used to own one.

-bob
Just to be clear, I did say HP8. I learned to fly in the early sixties at Wurtsboro Airport, and George Moffat had the one and only HP8 there.

I helped put it together a couple of times and the center section must have weighed as much as the entire wing of some other gliders.

Feel good moment. Watching Moffat outclimb me in "The Lead Sled" on my first hour long solo in the very easy thermaling 2-22. To me the HP8 was a very striking looking ship and looked even more fantastic seen from above. (for a little while anyway)

Pete
Mar 18, 2008, 06:54 AM
VNE ? I bite my thumb at thee
stinkyfive's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
I think it was an outfit called Northernridge sailplanes but I can't find a website

daveosaur might know because he's referred to them a couple of times in this forum.

Edit - I tracked it down through the BARCS site but the outcome is bizarre

www.northernridgesailplanes.com

Anybody explain that?
no longer going I'm afraid

Ell.
Mar 18, 2008, 07:07 AM
70 is the new 50
bobthenuke's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
Just to be clear, I did say HP8. I learned to fly in the early sixties at Wurtsboro Airport, and George Moffat had the one and only HP8 there.

I helped put it together a couple of times and the center section must have weighed as much as the entire wing of some other gliders.

Feel good moment. Watching Moffat outclimb me in "The Lead Sled" on my first hour long solo in the very easy thermaling 2-22. To me the HP8 was a very striking looking ship and looked even more fantastic seen from above. (for a little while anyway)

Pete
That's what I thought you wrote (HP-8). I mentioned HP-18 deliberately - your mention of the -8 brought it to mind.

bob
Mar 18, 2008, 12:20 PM
Registered User
ToniGe23's Avatar
Hi Erich,

I have a new HF Modell 6 metre Ventus 2cx all moulded it has a 4 piece wing
http://www.faltusmodel.com/en16.htm

but the fuselage is nearly 7 feet long that's the problem

Tony
Mar 18, 2008, 10:56 PM
Alpine Soaring in Wyoming
Tony,
Thanks for the info, 6M WS and 2.1M fuse, way to big and to expensive for me. Looks like I will have to remain "non scale", to bad sure like the sleek looking ships. I have a LET ASH-28-18 3M electric, beautiful model, but would like something bigger without having to fight the large wing panels. I'll keep looking though.
Erich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23
Hi Erich,

I have a new HF Modell 6 metre Ventus 2cx all moulded it has a 4 piece wing
http://www.faltusmodel.com/en16.htm

but the fuselage is nearly 7 feet long that's the problem

Tony
Mar 18, 2008, 11:53 PM
Are you serious?
Miraj's Avatar
What about building something? I know Tony at laserflight has some fuselages, then all you need to to is build the wings the way you need it.
M
Mar 19, 2008, 02:34 AM
Registered User
Daniel Gut's Avatar
I am just finishing off a Nimbus 4dm, 5.3 m Span, 4 piece wing with the longest part of the kit (fuselage) being 1.7m. Flying weight +/- 5.5kg. From what various owners have reported it is a fabulous thermaler. http://www.icare-rc.com/nimbus4d_5_2m.htm

Regards from Zurich

Daniel
Mar 19, 2008, 03:52 AM
Registered User
Big Nuts 181's Avatar
I so want one of those!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Gut
I am just finishing off a Nimbus 4dm, 5.3 m Span, 4 piece wing with the longest part of the kit (fuselage) being 1.7m. Flying weight +/- 5.5kg. From what various owners have reported it is a fabulous thermaler. http://www.icare-rc.com/nimbus4d_5_2m.htm

Regards from Zurich

Daniel


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion CG calc for wing with multiple sweep angles rosco Modeling Science 13 Jan 09, 2008 04:35 PM
Question joining wing panels with CF tubes atjurhs Thermal 16 Sep 28, 2006 07:13 AM
Help with aerodynamics of a scale plank-style flying wing SoarNeck Flying Wings 3 Jul 22, 2004 12:20 PM
Help with aerodynamics of a scale plank-style flying wing SoarNeck Modeling Science 1 Jul 21, 2004 05:11 PM
Speed 400 with Symetrical Wing Greg Covey Electric Plane Talk 13 Jul 27, 2001 12:50 AM