Mar 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

RC Laser Discussion Group

I have recently resurrected my IOM which I build about 5 years ago from scratch. In my attempt to find parts and get back into it I discovered that 5 years is a long time in the model boat business. While a lot of things remained the same most of it has changes drastically.

I have chosen the RC Laser as my new boat simply because it is not hand build and can be sailed sooner than any other boat. I can remember when I used to sail and it took hours of work to get set up to sail. Right now I am looking to sail and not have build or maintain a boat so much. I am in the queue for the latest batch of RC Lasers and waiting for it to arrive.

I am interested to hear from other with the boat or considering getting the boat or have been sailing for years.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2008, 04:31 PM
Your attitude is your alt
I bought the Laser three years ago, haven' sailed it all that much but when I did it did a fantastic job and I really like it because of it's simplicity. It only takes a few minutes to assemble, is water tight, fast, and fairly easy to sail. I just recently built a Graupner Trueblue 1 meter boat. Much more complicated, takes time to setup correctly but it does sail nicely. I'll include a few pictures of it here of both the Laser and the Graupner.

Gary Morris
Mar 17, 2008, 08:57 AM
Thread OP

RC Laser

I think one of the reason I am buying the boat is because of it's simplicity. I want a boat that allows me to concentrate on sailing and not on the setup or maintenance of the boat. The value of one design racing is to eliminate the boat from the equation, as much as possible, and make the skipper the most valuable part of the boat. I don't want to spend all my time working on the boat. I want to have a good sail because that is what it is all about for me.

I built my original IOM and it was more a labor of love. I will continue to build boats but only for display. I don't want to put all that work on the pond where sailing is what counts and not so much the construction skills or funds.

Just my opinion....
Mar 18, 2008, 12:40 AM
What is this a center for ants
I sailed mine with the B-sail for about six months, then ordered the A-sail and it was like a new boat.. No modifications,,just fun.
Mar 18, 2008, 03:03 AM
Useful Idiot
http://www.rclaser.org.uk/
Mar 18, 2008, 08:23 AM
Thread OP
Martin, Thanks for the UK link. You guys have a number of the same problems we have over here but it's good to read a different perspective on the usual and some new insight into others.

I also looked at the Irish site and they appear to have the club operation well in hand. It is good to join such a strong worldwide fleet.

I will be trying to start a new fleet here in Raleigh NC. US. Anybody out there in this area looking for a club, let me know.

Thanks
Mar 18, 2008, 09:02 AM
Suggestion - contact the club below and see if they are interested in letting you sail with them and develop a second fleet of Lasers.

Worst case they will decline, best case they will cooperate and you will have a built-in group to handle your regatta chores - otherwise if everyone in your Laser group wants to sail/race - who is going to be your race committee?

Raleigh/Durham/Research Triangle Park
Triangle Model Yacht Club, (#28)
Gerry Cobley, (919) 851-8410
102 Lochhaven
Cary, NC 27511
Sailing Site: Lake Johnson Park, Raleigh N.C.
Classes Sailed: EC-12
Mar 18, 2008, 11:38 AM
Thread OP

Triangle Club

Dick, I have been watching this club sail a lake Johnson for a while and I don't think they have a laser class now but I am going to approach them when I get my boat ready and try and get some converts and new sailors. This club only sails Victoria's and the EC-12's at present. I would like to join them and bring in the laser as another class for the club. I could be the GTG for the club laser fleet if they want.

Wish me luck.....
Mar 18, 2008, 08:56 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
finally a laser thread! iv had alot of fun with my laser, which i got used 2 years ago. itll handly about any wind you you think of. and takes about 2 minits to rig, less if you can transport the sail built. it may not be as gracful as the sloops, but itll get the job done , faster in most cases to!
mike
ps, just watch the heavy dwon wind runs, itll trun into a submarine haha, its fun knowing it wouldnt get the inside wet.
mike
Mar 19, 2008, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
pitviper51, glad you like the thread. I had a feeling there were many people out there that would like an RC Laser thread. I am looking forward to receiving mine soon and getting to see just how fast it is.

Cheers.
Last edited by rickbuck99; Mar 19, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Mar 26, 2008, 09:03 AM
Thread OP

Telltales for the Laser

Looking at pictures of the Laser I notice some "telltales" that extend off the back of the sail. In my experience tell tales are meant to indicated if the sail is shaped right for the course and wind. I have always put my telltales on the mast edge of the sail so that when the sail is right they lay flat and straight against the sail. These are always on both sides to indicate both sides of the sail. I don't see the usage of the trailing telltales. Can someone explain?

Thanks,
Apr 09, 2008, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbuck99
Looking at pictures of the Laser I notice some "telltales" that extend off the back of the sail. In my experience tell tales are meant to indicated if the sail is shaped right for the course and wind. I have always put my telltales on the mast edge of the sail so that when the sail is right they lay flat and straight against the sail. These are always on both sides to indicate both sides of the sail. I don't see the usage of the trailing telltales. Can someone explain?

Thanks,
From my big boat sailing there are telltails on both the luff (front) and leach (back) and on several locations up the sail. The telltails on the leach you would want to be laying flat on both sides as you described. If one is lifting, then you have turbulent air running along the sail and is not producing the maximum lift. Then the telltails on the leach you want to be flying straight back and these show that you have power along the back of the sail. You can have the luff telltails flying perfectly but have the leach tellsails stalling. You would want all of them flying straight back. You would adjust these with a combination of outhaul and sail trim. This is obviously much easier when you are actually on the boat vs standing on the shore.

Now my Laser has a telltail at the top and this would be more used as a wind indicator than for sail trim. From a RC sailboat perspective, I don't see much value in the luff telltails as I would not be able to see them from shore.

Here are pictures of mine if interested.

http://msprygada.smugmug.com/gallery...o4QbG#65026032

I wish we had more people in Mid-Michigan that wanted to race. I love racing but just sailing by my self gets boring real fast so I have taken up RC flying. There are a few guys that I find got out once in awhile if your paths meet but it would be great to have a once or twice a week racing. I would ditch flying for sail racing any day.
Apr 09, 2008, 01:02 PM
"I wish we had more people in Mid-Michigan that wanted to race."

Not to hijack the thread, but I have built a few of the Victor CupClass boats for some sailing friends back there. I would suggest you contact the local NACRA catamaran dealer (The Cathouse - ask for Mark) in Freeland/Saginaw and ask him if they are still doing any spring/fall racing. They used to have an off-season racing series, and maybe even took them to big regattas to race after the cat races.

A short drive to Saginaw, and Haithco Park that borders the express way at Tittabawassee Road at I-675 has a wonderful sailing location. Lots of room, bank and docks, and open area uncluttered by big buildings or trees for nice wind. Also touch with Parks Director for Saginaw County as he was building for the 10 Rater class for a while (ask for John)

My guess both are inactive - but with some "push" and promotion - and a cheerleader, the area is ripe for r/c sailing - unless you drive to Detroit, Ann Arbor or Muskegon area - too long of a drive.

Tell both of them that "I" told you to call. Maybe you can inject some interest. (BTW - I lived there for 40 years and did my big boat racing on the Bay and up at Tawas. There is also a landyacht sailor there in Bay City you might consider introducing to soft water).

Good luck
Apr 09, 2008, 01:10 PM
<< Now my Laser has a telltail at the top and this would be more used as a wind indicator than for sail trim. >> Yeah its always confusing the difference from 'true' wind and 'apparent' wind. True wind in relationship to your boat is where is the wind coming from, if your boat was sitting still! Apparent wind is how the wind is actually hitting your craft because your boat is moving. You can be easily deceived by a mast head telltale thinking that as you tack you need to go so far when in fact the real tack position is much further and consequently you stall the boat! Been der' done dat'. Having got a handle on that anomaly, now its still the 'going away from me the handle goes' and 'coming to me the handle goes' problem! Russ
Apr 09, 2008, 04:33 PM
Russ - ya gotta know dem tacking angles !

As for the this way or that way - make up a thin cardboard disk to slip over your rudder stick. Going upwind red/green. When you make your turn at windward mark, flip the card over so it is now green/red. Just another thing to keep you busy and ot paying attention.

Either that or turn around and look back over your shoulder. Surprising at how many guys do that !

Quick Reply