Mar 13, 2008, 10:35 AM
Question

How 'Bout an Accurate L-4

Was out flying the old 60" J-3 this morning -- big winds are on the way, so figured if I was going to fly this week, today would have to be the day. Turns out it was a good choice, but that's another story.

Anyway, it occured to me that it was about time to add a 1/8 scale Cub (53" span) to the Short Kit line, but figured the market place was rich with J-3's, but grossly lacking in L-4's.

So the question is, is there enough interest in building a good accurate 1/8 scale L-4, comlete with battery access through the cabin door and all the glazings of a true L-4, not just a modified J-3 kit? Let's hear what you all have to say.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2008, 10:38 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
Pat,
I am always interested in recon aircraft, an L-4 with all the windows would be a perfect addition to my fleet and 53" is a good size. Naturally it should not be overpowered and unrealistic. What power setup and finish do you have in mind?

cooper998
Mar 13, 2008, 10:41 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Where's the "buy" button

Go for it Pat - you'll sell at least one!

I need an L-4 to re-enact the Storch/L-4 dogfight- Think I'm joking? Click here

After the L-4 you can then build the Storch!

Cheers,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Was out flying the old 60" J-3 this morning -- big winds are on the way, so figured if I was going to fly this week, today would have to be the day. Turns out it was a good choice, but that's another story.

Anyway, it occured to me that it was about time to add a 1/8 scale Cub (53" span) to the Short Kit line, but figured the market place was rich with J-3's, but grossly lacking in L-4's.

So the question is, is there enough interest in building a good accurate 1/8 scale L-4, comlete with battery access through the cabin door and all the glazings of a true L-4, not just a modified J-3 kit? Let's hear what you all have to say.

PAT
Mar 13, 2008, 10:42 AM
pie hopper
Yes, most definitely. After I finish your Super Cub this spring I was thinking of either starting a J3 or those Fairchild plans of yours that I have... I have not bought a J3 kit yet, so if you get this one going, It'll be at the top of the list.

It took me about three minutes to post this reply, so I figure at the rate you build you have it just about framed up by now...

Dave
Mar 13, 2008, 10:59 AM
Considering the quick responce I'd say there's definitely an interest. Meanwhile, I dug out the old 3 views and am ready to get started.

The plan is to work it up with an opening cabin door/window, scale rib spacing, and true to outline. Power would be either a Himax 2808, or RC Hotdeals 2409-18 (1000KV) on 2 cells swinging a scale length (9") prop. I'll build the p-type with the 2808 since I have a couple spares on the shelf.

The plan is to finish the model in silver Litefilm sprayed with Model Master enamels since the colors fade nicely in the sun. And, when the paint starts chipping, the silver will show through from below. A great combination for natural weathering.

This is going to be FUN!

PAT
Mar 13, 2008, 11:03 AM
After the L-4 you can then build the Storch!

My what timing, the 55" Storch is already at the top of the short list and the design will get underway real soon -- but that's a secret, so don't spread it around

PAT
Mar 13, 2008, 11:14 AM
Got Epoxy
Pat, grossly lacking , how bout non-exisiting in a light but somewhat parkflier , looking forward to this one.

Is it done yet

only kiddin

Glenn
Mar 13, 2008, 11:17 AM
Although I would personally give priority to the Storch, an L-4 is also interesting..

Bulent
Mar 13, 2008, 11:21 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
Well Pat, I couldn't agree more.

Looks like it's a race...

Brian
Mar 13, 2008, 11:43 AM
Hey Pat -

Great idea! Any chance you'd be into making it slightly larger - 1/7 scale? That way it could sit right next to my Champ and they'd look real nice together.

-Sky
Mar 13, 2008, 11:45 AM
Hi Pat,
I'm really interested in an accurate L4 and and Feisler Storch. I built a semisclae Storch and would really like a more scale version that's in the 50-60" range. I have a 2409-18 ready to go too! My preference would be for the Storch first but whatever feels good to you. Thanks for the wonderful contributions!
Ray
Mar 13, 2008, 11:49 AM
Sky, I'll stick with 1/8 scale so it aligns with the Champ, Chief, C-120 & Super Cub. I also intend to do a 4 ch. Luscombe, Piper Super Cruiser and of course the C-188 Ag Wagon (in progress) to fit the series too.

PAT
Mar 13, 2008, 11:59 AM

seems that a stinson would be better..

What about an L-5? i've been dying to build one since i saw the photo in my daughter's elementary school of one that the school bought in 1943. My dad says that all of the Detroit schools competed to see how fast they could raise the money for one of the planes, and my daughter's school actually got their name on the plane!
With all of the Cubs, a stinsone would set itself apart a little more.
Mar 13, 2008, 12:12 PM
Oh, a Storch would be so nice. No hurry for me as my wife will kill me if I do one more plane until next winter, but it would sure be something to look forward too. Hopefully the ultra STOL performance would translate to the model. Thanks for all these great airplanes.
Mar 13, 2008, 12:18 PM
I was struck by the profile of Brian's CAD drawing and the drawing of the full sized Cub, and noticed that that there is significantly more downthrust on the prop shaft than with the full sized Cub. What is the reason why models need more downthrust than full sized airplanes (if this is a correct observation)?