Feb 21, 2018, 05:54 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
Thread OP
Sorry, I can't help much with lam film. I've only used it over completed Monokote/tape builds or in 2-4" strips along the LE.
My lightweight "Quick Build" JW is in my blog. I dig this plane a lot and it was pretty easy with a goofy strapping tape pattern.
Yes it has a 1mm wide carbon TE I got cheap from Aloft.

54oz AUW. Build log here...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Build-Sessions
Latest blog entry: JW48 - Lightweight DS Build
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2018, 06:05 PM
And Repairs
Thanks for the blog link!
Ty
Feb 21, 2018, 06:29 PM
And Repairs
Stu, You build a lot of really nice wings and planks. I’m curious, do yours generally need to be replaced because they go out in a blaze of glory in a high-speed smack into the rocks - or is it more about replacing the worn rashed ones with a new and slippery build?
Feb 21, 2018, 06:37 PM
Thread OP
A little of both. I build new ones because I usually want to try some different build tricks. I have a hard time parting with planes so I've got a roomful.
Feb 22, 2018, 05:20 PM
the occasional flyer
Boneyard. Is it visible on Google Earth?
Feb 23, 2018, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Lol, yeah, pretty much. Almost all of them are in good condition. A couple of the 200mph planes are waiting for new bagged elevons to go faster.
Feb 24, 2018, 10:43 PM
And Repairs

Gyro stabilizer install?

Started on my first JW build. Thanks for the great kit, Aaron! Hoping to use a Lemon stabilizer, but if I do will need to have some sort of hatch access for occasional pot dial adjustments. So thinking about a small hatch just big enough to access the dials. Dial adjustments after initial flights should be rare, so I can just keep the cover taped closed most of the time. May use servo cover material instead of coroplast, just to keep it smooth looking on top of the wing.
I couldn’t see any pics of gyro hatches in this thread - so just let me know if I’m off track.

I normally don’t use a RX power switch, but I’d better on this one to keep things clean. Maybe even a Zepsus
Last edited by TyFlies; Feb 24, 2018 at 11:22 PM.
Feb 25, 2018, 12:32 AM
Fly low, fly fast
Some of the lemons have remote gain adjustment from the tx. Just FYI
Feb 25, 2018, 12:44 AM
And Repairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle View Post
Some of the lemons have remote gain adjustment from the tx. Just FYI
Thanks. The Lemon version that I have has the capability to have Master Gain on a TX slider, but that adjusts all 3 pots equally. So they still need to be tweaked individually- at least until you decide where you want to keep them. (But so far with my wings I’ve kept Aileron gain pretty low and elevator gain real low.).
Feb 25, 2018, 01:01 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
I've always never run pitch correction, only on roll. Can you set the lemon to only do roll? Then you could adjust from tx slider
Feb 25, 2018, 01:09 AM
And Repairs
Yes, by turning elevator pot to 0. Glad to hear you like it that way. I’ve ended up with my other stabilized slopers at almost 0 on the elevator.

Seems like it would still be a good idea to have the RX somewhat accessessible if needed. But Hopefully pretty rarely. I’m just not used to having a buried RX.

FWIW, I only have one powered non slope plane on a stabilizer and I do keep the elevator at the same gain setting as the Aileron & rudder on it.
Last edited by TyFlies; Feb 25, 2018 at 01:14 AM.
Feb 25, 2018, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Just poke a couple holes when you install the recr. Install it slightly offset from the center so it’s not under the fuse. Make your access hatch on the bottom if you really want one so everything stays clean on top. I agree so far with what you said about low on ail and very low or min on ele. If ele is important or not is still a hot issue among us.
Feb 25, 2018, 01:12 PM
And Repairs
The holes are a great idea. I’ll go with that.
Feb 26, 2018, 09:52 PM
And Repairs
For those of you who use short servo arms and bury the rods - are you putting the servos closer in to allow for more foam thickness?

My servos are about 12 inches out. Afraid to go any deeper into the foam.
Pretty sure I’ll just use the longer arms and clear the foam.

Shorter servo arms provide the best resolution of course, but seems like the typical JW build is without buried rods so I’ll plan on that.

Planning on using the highest hole on the elevon horn, right?
Feb 26, 2018, 11:45 PM
Thread OP
About 12” from cl to clevis. Everything barely fits when it’s buried. Yours look good so far. I like buried because it’s cool but it’s not necessary.

Quick Reply