This thread is privately moderated by HelloScott, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 12, 2008, 02:33 PM
SSMA #01M9382, AMA #137824
Thread OP
Discussion

If its RC, I love it!

I've been at this crazy RC hobby for over 35 years. I started out flying control line and RC in the Buffalo, NY area in high school. Running my hobby budget on a summer job income didn't do so well back then. Every time I crashed, it took me quite a while to get back in the air again.

I moved to east Tennessee with my family after high school. While in college there in Knoxville, I got heavily involved in the "East Tennessee Soaring Society" and learned a lot about RC sailplanes, thermals and building. Those were some great years with great guys! Now I'm back to RC sailplanes having competed in the NATS the last few years and enjoying the annual Woodcrafters event as well.

Now I live near Indianapolis, Indiana and continue to fly with the Blacksheep Squadron RC Airplane Club (www.blacksheepclub.org). I've always dabbled in designing my own airplanes and had a life-long dream come true when Model Aviation magazine offered to purchase my INDY 400 construction article for their magazine. It was featured in the July 2006 magazine. The INDY 400 is the photo RCU Avatar that I'm using. I had my email address in the article, and have really enjoyed talking to guys all over the world who are building INDY 400's. Lazer Works in Ohio is now creating an laser cut short-kit of the INDY 400. How cool is that!

I've also always loved R/C boats. I joined the Indianapolis Admirals several years ago and have really enjoyed the personalities and camaraderie that I have experienced with the Admirals (www.indyadmirals.org). We run scale electric boats and sailboats. There are some amazing museum quality modelers in that group.

My son got me into R/C car racing. He's always had a "thing" for race cars since he was a toddler. So, when he showed interest in that side of the hobby, man, I was there in a heartbeat. Now we are racing Vintage Trans Am and USGT on-road Associated TC3 and TC6 cars. What a hoot! I'm having a ball and am truly blow away by the technology in R/C cars. I had no idea how cool they were! We race Friday nights when we can at www.IndyRCRaceway.net

Lately, I've been volunteering to help the Avon Parks Department with their new RC off-road track. We have formed a club, the "Hoosier RC Racers" which is at www.HRCRacers.com.

Well, that's my story in brief. What's yours?
Last edited by HelloScott; May 16, 2019 at 05:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2016, 11:24 AM

Skybench Oly II

Scott,
This may be way off topic, but I found you from posts several years ago on the Oly II.
I bought one about a year ago: never built an airplane previously...just ARF's. Finally opened the kit a few weeks ago, and
I am struggling with several confusing items.
I have emailed Ray, and I guess my questions were too dumb or something, so no help there.
Was wondering if you might be able to assist me with my build?
Or perhaps refer me to someone who might?
Thanks,
Dave Hall
Fresno, CA
Jun 13, 2016, 12:09 PM
SSMA #01M9382, AMA #137824
Thread OP
Happy to help Dave. I built my Olympic II this past winter. I did a complete build thread on it here on RC Groups:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2574783

I'm glad to help. I'll PM you my home email too.

Quick Reply