This thread is privately moderated by vmaxmasonrya, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 12, 2008, 01:35 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

glider in the '80's

Does anyone have any information about a 36" ws glider in the '80's? It was called "Acro Zephyr". Balsa built up, semi symmetrical airfoil, designed by a guy named Bob Owens. A unique feature was a finger hole in the bottom for pilot to put his finger in to increase the "snap" when launching. I saw Bob when I flew on Mt. Washington in Los Angeles, California.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2009, 02:42 PM
I built one from the plans that were sold at that hobby store in the SF valley. I used Futaba S-20's in them and a 250 mAH battery. I used a cable pushrod for the elevator and a single servo in the wing. I flew it on Mt. Washington in the summer of 1981 with Bob, Katherine, Glen, et. al. If you were there that summer, mine was navy blue and yellow and it was pretty squirrely. I usually flew the Katie II and later the stock looking black and silver Gryphon. I was out there about 2-3 hours a day that summer with another flyer who had the heavily modified Gryphon. We had a great time lounging there chatting and flying almost every day. I may actually still have the plans in my pile of flying stuff in the garage along with a still unbuilt Gryphon and partly built SR-7.
Mar 20, 2009, 06:21 PM
I just dug out a set of those plans today. I've had them for years but never built it - am thinking about doing it now. I was searching the web for other info. on the plane and saw your post.

They are a single sheet (3' x 2') of full-size plans, a list of materials and a sheet of wing rib profiles. Perhaps Kinkos can copy the big sheet - not sure. Let me know if you're interested.

-Chris
Apr 30, 2009, 02:14 AM
Thread OP
rsrocket1,
I probably flew when you were there in the '80's. That hobby store was probably Tony and Addie's Hobby shop. I remember the acrozephyr being very squirrely as well. I had a one with a yellow fuse and wing 1/2 transparent green and 1/2 transparent yellow. I don't think there were too many of our planes out there on the slope. Do you still have your SR-7?

Vincent
Apr 30, 2009, 02:51 PM
Yes I do. It is still half-built. I think I covered the wings with the plywood and left it at that. I am getting back into the hobby and may yet finish it now that my kids are getting to the age where they can enjoy flying. My Jaguar did not survive my resurection into RC in 1992-2000. The fuselage got a bad wrinkle at Los Banos Creek Reservoir after many pleasant flights over the Pacific just north of the Golden Gate bridge in howling winds. The Coyote seemed to be a very good compromise between having enough wing for light air days, yet slick enough for heavier winds.
Nov 27, 2019, 12:53 AM
I found these if you are still looking.
Nov 27, 2019, 01:05 AM
I flew and sold framed up Acro Zephyrs and Zephyrs at Mt Washington in N. Los Angeles in the 80's. It flew on a breeze and in wind too, but squirrely in big wind. The fuse was weak where it met the fin, so I reinforced it in later builds. The turbulators also broke when mishandled, but that has a fix too.

Quick Reply