This thread is privately moderated by rdwoebke, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 17, 2008, 01:50 AM
Thermaler,

Did you work on any of your LSF tasks today?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2008, 07:43 AM
Balsa Breaks Better

8 am my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler
Buddy #2 reminded me of the advice he had given me the last time we flew together. I wrapped my hard head arond it and got the best two and last landings for my level II.
Yes! Off to the sod farm for more work on the Level II.

Joe
Aug 17, 2008, 12:32 PM

What being a Level V is all about

On Saturday, I watched an LSF Level V ignore his own unlimited moldie and do the following: Help me set up a previously unflown 2 meter, spend a lot of time tuning a $50 2 Meter ARF so that its pilot could fly it better, and coach/cajole Thermaler into correct landing discipline. Now that's a class act.
Thank you, Buddy #2,
Jim Deck AKA Thermaler's Buddy # 3
Aug 17, 2008, 03:13 PM
Balsa Breaks Better
Buddy #3 is really buddy #2, he was just the #3 to show up. Tiz will always be #1.

Joe
Aug 18, 2008, 08:50 AM
founder of the SSP
I like the fact he didn't mind flying the $50 Vista while that sweet moldie was sitting there just to help me. The help was apreciated and for a cheap plane it doesn't do too bad on the right days. I'll be more amazed if we can get Thermaler to actually put all those parts on the winch though.
Aug 18, 2008, 10:24 AM
Balsa Breaks Better
The world is out to get me to do something!!!!

Joe
Aug 19, 2008, 06:28 AM
founder of the SSP
Well you don't have wife so someone has to bug you. You don't have time to chat on here. You have a winch to re-build man.
Aug 19, 2008, 10:40 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.

new LSF Aspirant

Hello everyone,

Reading this thread has really reinforced my decision to join LSF. I am about as new to flying as they come. I started building my first and only plane this past February. I have no flying experience and decided that gliders are for me. I spent most of late winter and spring building my plane, a Sig Riser 2M, and practicing on a flight simulator.

Once the weather started to get warmer, mid May this year, I started to get to know some of the members of the Minneapolis soaring club, MRCSS. With their help and some help from a few gas modelers where I live, I am proud to say that I accomplished my first task for level one this past weekend. I maidened my plane June 7th and made my first 5 minute TD flight in a contest this past Saturday. My actual flight time was 7 min 58 seconds. The wind was a little high so I missed all of my spot landings but I did land within the designated LZ for the contest.

I just wanted to share this with someone.

Wayne
Aug 19, 2008, 10:53 PM
Way to go Wayne! Thanks for sharing your story. So cool.
Aug 20, 2008, 06:43 AM
founder of the SSP
Way to go Wayne! It a great feeling getting that first 5 minute flight. Welcome to the LSF and to r/c in general.
Aug 20, 2008, 07:48 AM
RC Sailplane Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence
I am proud to say that I accomplished my first task for level one this past weekend.
Wayne, that is great. Welcome aboard and we are glad that this thread inspired you some. And thanks for sharing your story.

For some folks, this hobby can be a bit intimidating/frustrating at first, but it really does become better. The day will come when you will be able to go out to the field in just about any weather conditions and be confident that you are going to have some good flights and not break anything. The LSF tasks will be your barrometer as you go. After you complete L2 by then probably you will be at the level where you are having really good fun all the time because your skills allow you to have a fun flying day most non rainy days.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Aug 20, 2008, 04:03 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
I would like to clarify something about the spot landings for level 1. Am I correct that these can be completed outside a sanctioned event provided I have a qualifying witness? i.e. I can do these at my local flying field and have another flyer sign off on them.

Wayne
Aug 20, 2008, 04:30 PM
absolutely yes. You can do spot landings anytime, anywhere. There is no requirement for a 'sanctioned event'.

You can even do your own contests. No need for a 'sanctioned event'. rdwoebke covered this pretty well here
Aug 24, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hit my smoke....
Thought I had my LSF IV 60 min in the bag today, then a layer of alto stratus eased over the field like a wet blanket.... it was a gallant fight, that ended finally at 54 min.

And as per SOW, once we packed up the winch and airplanes, the high layer cleared, and things began popping.... sigh....

Sounds like a labor day task! It's really about the journey...

Dan in Dallas...
Aug 25, 2008, 02:05 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
If anyone needs contest points toward their LSF tasks, there will be an ESL contest on Long Island, NY on Sept 20 & 21. This is open to anyone who is an AMA member.

There will be at least 25 pilots, so this would qualify for contests for all levels. Virtually all of the ESL contests have at least 20 competitors for winch launched gliders and at least 15 contestants in the hand launched contests.

To register, visit www.flyesl.com There is a full calendar provided so you can look at the contests available for the rest of the year. There will have a similar contest schedule next year.

You can find a list of member clubs where the events are hosted. Many East coast folks should have at least a couple of contests near enough for you to attend.

http://www.flyesl.com/about_esl/clublist.asp
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 25, 2008 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply