This thread is privately moderated by burkefj, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 12, 2008, 02:24 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Starfighter

Well, I just couldn't bring myself to put the "round" GAD starfighter that I got for xmas together, since I wanted something a bit bigger, so some more drawing and cutting....

Boy is that wing small, still should be around 1.6 sq feet, 55 inches long, and the wing is pretty far back. I'm hoping that I can get by with a 1320 pack for CG, and keep the weight around 15-16 oz. We'll see.

I'm using a carbon tube down the middle, a spliced center fuse/tail section, two spliced body doublers for the fuse outline, and two intake doublers to simulate the intake, will run a full flying T-tail. Same old Grayson parkjet for power that works so well.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Apr 16, 2008 at 03:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2008, 04:31 PM

Profile F-104 Starfighter

would you have a PDF of the Profile F-104 Starfighter layed out???
Mar 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
Thread OP
Hi, not yet, I didn't make tracings of it this time, wasn't sure there would be interest, but a couple of people have asked, so in the next week or so, I'll draw up some.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by randynsaudi
would you have a PDF of the Profile F-104 Starfighter layed out???
Apr 12, 2008, 12:22 AM
Closed Account
Dont test spray paint on your garage door! jeez!
Apr 12, 2008, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
Oh, that wasn't a test, that was for real, because the pull cord for the door hangs at just the right level for me to hang my models by the tail when I paint, unfortunately the overspray hits the door, of course I could wait till spring to paint, but in the NW you have to make due indoors when you can

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMoore12
Dont test spray paint on your garage door! jeez!
Apr 12, 2008, 11:58 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Oh, that wasn't a test, that was for real, because the pull cord for the door hangs at just the right level for me to hang my models by the tail when I paint, unfortunately the overspray hits the door, of course I could wait till spring to paint, but in the NW you have to make due indoors when you can

Frank

I have worse in my bedroom, i was just giving you a hard time. I used to live on a farm in Va but i moved to maine, i feel yah on the painting situation. 10 months out of the year its a no-go outside for painting. Good scratchbuild tho.
Apr 15, 2008, 12:55 PM
Thread OP
Deleted
Last edited by burkefj; Jul 29, 2015 at 03:57 PM.
Aug 10, 2008, 01:35 AM
GorillaGlue, Tape...I'm good

Final CG?

Hello Frank,

I've read through this thread, but I may have gotten lost on where your CG ended up. I think you at least moved the battery forward 1 inch, maybe 2. So where is your CG now on the 104?

I also started with CG near the same area, where you had it initially, for my profile F104 (5-layers thick, though). When I did a glide test, it flew level, so I thought I was right on. When I launced with power, the tail went down and stalled. Tore one wing off.

If you dialed in the CG, I'd like to compare what you have with mine.

By the way, of all the videos I've come across in RCGroups, your wife seems to be one of the better video camera person. Many people have hard time with zoom, focus and framing, but your wife does it all pretty well.
Aug 14, 2008, 02:15 AM
Thread OP
Hi, the CG in the plans should be correct, I have two marks on mine, the forward one is 5" back from the LE at the root, I think that's where I fly it now. I also notice that mine pitches up a lot under high power on hand launch, but under power and glide is fine once moving, I don't launch with more than 50% power, although the full flying tail is pretty responsive and will save bad pitch ups. BTW, my videos are done by my 11 year old daughter, and yes, she has gotten pretty darn good. Please post and let me know if you still have problems, or if your CG was off.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Gotts_Ta_Fly
Hello Frank,

I've read through this thread, but I may have gotten lost on where your CG ended up. I think you at least moved the battery forward 1 inch, maybe 2. So where is your CG now on the 104?

I also started with CG near the same area, where you had it initially, for my profile F104 (5-layers thick, though). When I did a glide test, it flew level, so I thought I was right on. When I launced with power, the tail went down and stalled. Tore one wing off.

If you dialed in the CG, I'd like to compare what you have with mine.

By the way, of all the videos I've come across in RCGroups, your wife seems to be one of the better video camera person. Many people have hard time with zoom, focus and framing, but your wife does it all pretty well.

Quick Reply