Mar 11, 2008, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Question

Graupner WIESEL

hi,

has any one built this boat or have any details on it? im looking at it for my next build if funds allow for it

thanks
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2008, 06:58 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
I didn't know that Graupner still made that model, or is this one that has been stashed away?

Grab it---.
Mar 12, 2008, 01:13 AM
Hello Big-,
I hesitate to jump in here, but I may have a bit of information for you. Back in the 70's, I purchased in a hobby shop an essentially completed patrol boat model. The hobby shop owner didn't know what model it was, only that an older customer of his who was an experienced model airplane builder had made it.
Printed parts numbers on some of the balsa pieces told me that it had been made from a kit. The model had an old-style resistor motor speed control ; no other electronic equipment was in it.
It was powered by two new but small electric motors and had two large propellers and three rudders.
I put it on a shelf, admired it and kept it dusted. Then, two years ago, I saw its twin for sale on eBay, and discovered that it was a Graupner Wiesel type patrol boat. Three or four of these models have come up for sale since, some for sale in the UK.
Judging by what I have and what I have observed on eBay, there may be two versions (sizes) of this model. My model is 37" long and has about a 6 1/4" beam. It has two torpedo tubes on each side, angled outboard, and no radar equipment on the mast. The scale is supposed to be 1:40.
I have observed two of these models on eBay that seem to be 42" in length, that have a radome on the mast, and only two torpedo tubes mounted aft, parallel to the model's centerline. The model currently available on eBay appears to be of this larger (later?) type - 42" long.
I really like the lines of the model, and judging by the sleekness of the hull, it should be a real performer on the water - relatively speaking, now - although it is a displacement hull.
If I can get pictures of my model, I will post them.
Sorry for my verbosity, but I really like this type of model. I'm a bit embarrassed that it took me about 30 years to figure out what I had, but the relatively few boat modelers down this way seem to be the go-fast guys. Not many scale modelers around that I'm aware of.
Bill
Last edited by jeepers1940; Mar 12, 2008 at 09:07 PM.
Mar 12, 2008, 07:11 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Jeepers, the model is fashioned after the "Jaguar" class, descendant of the WWII schnellboot, in use by the German Federal Navy in the 1960's and '70's.

A guy in my club had one in the early 1980's, and it would really move out. It's
probably still around somewhere, though I don't know who owns it now.

I remember the boat having a prominent radome on the mast, and two torpedo tubes facing aft.
Mar 12, 2008, 08:14 AM
https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=2145
Kit was reissued a few years ago. Cheers.

Bill.
Mar 12, 2008, 01:37 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash8man
https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=2145
Kit was reissued a few years ago. Cheers.
Bill.
Yes, that's the boat I remember, about 40" long---.

The kit is rather pricey, if you consider the Euro is about $1.50 now---.

That puts it at roughly $375.00---.
Mar 12, 2008, 03:46 PM
Thread OP
thanks for all the advice/info
its about 150 here in the uk which doesnt seem to bad im still just looking into this kit as im a student i need to wait until i have finished the boat i am building at the moment before my next invesment
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830659
Mar 12, 2008, 03:51 PM

"Puma" nee Wiesel

Here's my version, built in the mid-80s. Different armament. Also used a pair of rudder servo mounted microswitches to reverse the inboard motor at hard-over rudder via a pair of relays. Allows one ESC to permit "twist ship" maneuvering with rudder hard-over, slow ahead. Either direction left or right twist. Direct drive Pittman 12V motors from electronics surplus store. Ancient VanTech RET4 ESC....still runs great.

John
Mar 12, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thread OP
WOW

that look so much better than the manufacturers pictures!!!!
your making me want this kit even more now

cheers for the pics
Mar 12, 2008, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Beesley
WOW

cheers for the pics

You're welcome! If you decide on the kit, PM me and I'll send you other pix as well. It's a relatively easy kit to add detail to (WTD, fire hose racks, torpedo on rack in front of tube, etc.), ABS hull & superstructure. Oh yeah, she's fast on 16V!
John
May 21, 2008, 11:58 PM
May 22, 2008, 11:01 AM
Thread OP
i havn't bought this kit i splashed out on a smit rotterdam so cant afford it

i take it thats the "..."

Mat
May 22, 2008, 07:44 PM
Big - , Thanks for the update. If this rain will clear out, I will try to get photos of "mein Viesel."

Bill
May 23, 2008, 09:07 AM

Graupner Wiesel

Redundant response....sorry.
Last edited by Swift16; May 23, 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Redundant reply
Sep 01, 2019, 08:57 PM
jack charrin

jack

Can anyone assist with pictures of Weisel Graupner boat. I have one purchased in 1980's from shop in Paris France. I need detail of superstructure deck
ideas to improve authentic look in the water. jack

Quick Reply