Mar 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
SoarScale
Discussion

LaserFlight 1:3 Slingsby Petrel - LIMITED DISCOUNTED RELEASE

Hello all,

LaserFlight has completed the design of a 1:3 scale Slingsby Type 13 Petrel that will span 5.78m.

This message is to inform you that for those customers that have expressed an interest in purchasing this short kit, a limited release at a highly discounted (35%) price WILL be offered.

The 1:3 scale Petrel short kit will be offered to the first EIGHT (8) customers that meet the terms of the limited release at a highly discounted introduction price of $450 + plans, shipping, handling and tax for California customers.

Plans are being offered at $35 for a two, large sheet set.

Please also note that the short kits will be cut to order so please allow 7 to 10 business days for shipping of your short kit.

I will post a release notice on Wednesday March 12th 2008 at 5pm Pacific. The 8 discounted kits will be offered through this release notice with specific terms. Please look to this forum on Wednesday for the release notice. This will be a first come, first serve process and the process of how to be one of the first 8 customers will be detailed in the release notice.

Best regards,

Tony Elliott
www.laserflight.com
(530) 878-0728
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
Tony, sounds great. Can you describe the general construction of the kit e.g. wood throughout (no glass fuse)?, for the fuse and wings...self jigging? Ballpark estimate of the materials required to complete framing.

Thanks,

Steve
Mar 10, 2008, 07:59 PM
SoarScale
Sure, and you are correct - no glass fuse. This is a full laser cut short kit. A glass fuse may follow if the interest is there.

Fuselage is self jigging to the precut keels top and bottom. Fuse formers are 1/8 marine ply from the nose to the rear of the canopy, 1/4" Lite ply from there to the wing joiner assembly/formers, 1/8 marine ply from the wing joiner formers to the TE of the wing and 1/8 lite ply formers from the TE of the wing to the fin. Wing joiner retainer system is jigged to formers using pre-cut wood dowel locators. Ensures accurate alignment. Fuselage is built in two halves split vertically and glued together after assembly of each half.

Fiberglass custom laminated bellcrank included for full flying stab.

Canopy tray parts precut and a clear canopy is included.

Stab has 1/8" marine ply root ribs and 1/8" balsa ribs and are slotted for spruce caps. 1/32 ply TE required (not included). Will be sheeted in whatever the builder wants - 1/64 ply, 1/32 ply, 1/16" balsa or 3/32 balsa (sheeting not included).

Rudder is similar construction with 1/32 ply TE and 1/8" balsa ribs, 1/4 to 1/2" balsa posts and similar sheeting choices.

Wings are a mixture of 1/8" marine ply ribs laminated to 1/4" at root and at the R5 for the wing joiner, 1/8" lite ply between root and R5 and R6 to the gull. All ribs after gull are 1/8 balsa. Sheer webs for spar and sub-spar ain root section are cut from 1/8" Lite ply and are self jigging to all ribs. Provisions have been made for spoiler in appropriate ribs. Gull braces are also cut and included.

All wing and stab ribs are tabbed with pre-cut snap lines to remove. Aileron LE ply is pre-cut and included as are all of the aileron geodetics (approximately 80 of them).

Additional materials required include:

1). stringers for the wings in a combination of 1/8" square to 1/4" square.
2). stringers for the fuselage at 3/8" square.
3). 1/8" Sitka spruce for the laminated spar caps
4). 0.014" x 1" pre-preg carbon to be laminated between spar caps.
5). 3/4" diameter carbon wing rod and tube
6). Sheeting materials for fuse, wings, stab and rudder (cambination of 1/32 ply, 1/64 ply , 1/8" balsa, 3/32 balsa and 1/6" balsa).
7). General hardware
8). unwaxed dental floss or kevlar chord to wrap spar at wing joiner area.
9). TE ply for wing, stab and rudder (typically 1/32 ply)
10). various balsa blocks for filling and filleting

Other than your general building stuff, that's about all that's required. Sources for additional materials are included on plans as are the details of the wing and spar jigs needed to build the wings and spar caps.
Mar 10, 2008, 08:54 PM

count me in

Hi Tony. please count me in.
please advise on amount to send now.
kevin kavaney
Mar 10, 2008, 08:58 PM

Helps If one reads

please ignore my hasty response.
I will try to be on time on wednesday.
kevin
Mar 10, 2008, 11:28 PM
Are you serious?
Tony
Nice work on the release, Any sort of indication on what packaging size/weight this is going to be? Being in Oz, i'm wondering whether its going to be too expensive to get over here.

Steve
Mar 11, 2008, 03:21 AM
Geppetto

Count Me In!

Hi Tony. Please count me in on this first go around also
How would you like payment? And, it the kit ready to ship now?
Thanks,
Geppetto
Mar 11, 2008, 12:11 PM
SoarScale
Gentlemen/Ladies,

Firstly let me apologize for the "process" involved here. The bottom line is that $450 is very close to my cost and I cannot afford to continue shipping this product at this price, hence my limited release. Since I committed to this price for a limited time, I want to honor it.

In order to give people a chance who may not check this forum daily, I wanted to provide a pre-announcement (this thread) and then a couple days later provide a release announcement. This gives people a chance to read the forum and be aware that the offering is being made and more importantly, when.

Please, do not send me money until after I confirm you are one of the first eight via e-mail. That confirmation will likely occur tomorrow evening after I release the Petrel with the terms.

I have also received requests for the Petrel from oversees and this may represent a problem from a timing perspective of the release message. Since I do not want to constrain this product just to the US, I will see if there is anything I can do for these oversees customers.

For these oversees customers, I will send you personal mails regarding box sizes and handling fees so we can determine shipping costs.

I appreciate everyones patience with this release and remember, I am looking for direct feedback from the build processes you go through in order to correct and or enhance this and future products.

Lastly, as I indicated in the earlier pre-release message, kits will be cut to order. As of this writing, I have one kit available to ship immediately, three more probably by the end of the week, and the remainder by the end of next week.

Will post the release message tomorrow at 5pm pacific.

Tony Elliott
www.laserflight.com
Mar 11, 2008, 11:23 PM

Petrel short kit

Tony, I will be on the road to my Madera night class tomorrow, but will check this thread as soon as I get to my IS 15 class at 6pm. Thanks for the up date. Chuck
Mar 12, 2008, 09:04 PM
MTT
MTT
I care about rising air !
I always liked the looks of the Petrel, and would love to build it, but 1/3 scale and 5.78 m wing span is just too freaking big for me...

Don't get me wrong, I am a firm believer in "bigger is better" when it comes to scale sailplanes, but I would never get to fly a bird this size, due to the lack of tugs in my area....

Any chance for a 1/4 scale version in the future ?
Mar 13, 2008, 01:11 PM
SoarScale
MTT - always a chance!! Depends on demand but I will look into it.

Tony Elliott
Mar 14, 2008, 01:35 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Tony,

Wednesday came and gone.... still waiting.

Brian, an EAJ
Mar 14, 2008, 01:48 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
Tony,

Wednesday came and gone.... still waiting.

Brian, an EAJ
Brian, he started a new thread about it (fooled me too ) - look here.
Mar 14, 2008, 11:13 AM
SoarScale
Gentlemen, my apologies, I thought my description further down of the process was fairly clear - perhaps not. Yes, I had intended to post a new thread with the release message which I did at 5pm Wednesday.

The reality is that all 8 Petrels were allocated within the first five minutes! I had a few requests trickle in later that evening but to date, the first eight have all met the terms of the release message I posted and have paid for their Petrels. My message seemed to be clear to most of these folks so I am not sure what happened for you - again, my apologies.

Tony Elliott
www.laserflight.com
(530) 878-0728