Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 09, 2008, 02:42 PM
Question

6 channel vs. 8 channel receivers

I have a Flinton Extra 300 (39.5" wing span) - which receiver should I use in it?
Will the 6 channel receiver have enough range to fly this plane? Or should I just use the 8 channel one?
Last edited by xman2004; Mar 09, 2008 at 03:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2008, 05:10 PM
It depends how far you are going to fly it!
Mar 09, 2008, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisM
It depends how far you are going to fly it!
Yes, well... I am not sure... This is my first electric and while I have flown it last year on 72mHz I cannot say if I kept it under 1000', and since I had full range receiver in it I really was not concerned with range.... and since I have one of the XPS 6 channel receivers I might as well use it in this plane. Just want to make sure it has enough range for this size plane.
Mar 09, 2008, 06:36 PM
You can call me FANBOY!
Where did you fly it? An interesting thing I did one day was to pull up our field on Google Earth and take some measurements. 1000' doesnt sound like much, but its a pretty long way to see something that size. So to answer your question I think yes it would, be like previously stated it depends on what you are going to be doing with it.
Mar 09, 2008, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot
Where did you fly it? An interesting thing I did one day was to pull up our field on Google Earth and take some measurements. 1000' doesnt sound like much, but its a pretty long way to see something that size. So to answer your question I think yes it would, be like previously stated it depends on what you are going to be doing with it.
Well, I guess the trick will be to keep it in range... I just looked up the specs for the 6 channel receiver on XPS website - it states for air range 1500', line of sight.... I do not think I will be able to fly this thing to 1500' without a pair of binoculars
Apr 21, 2017, 06:43 AM

6 or 8 channel receivers

With a small aircraft like yours, a six channel is more than sufficient. I usually reserve the 8 channel or higher receivers for much larger aircraft.
Apr 21, 2017, 10:12 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
First of all, the reference for the first post in this thread was for the original 6 channel park flyer receiver, not the Nano receivers that we offer todya.

The 6 channel Nano receivers replaced the original 8 and 10 channel receivers because they are a substantially better receiver! The Nano receivers operate down to 1.8 volts (vs. 2.9v of 8/10 channel receivers), and have 25% better range.

You can gang up as many Nano receivers as you want to obtain extra channels. For example, if you needed 16 channels you could use three Nano receivers together to get 18 possible outputs.
Last edited by JimDrew; Apr 22, 2017 at 09:05 AM.
Apr 22, 2017, 05:08 AM
I have used both the Nano and the Sailplane 8 channel receiver in my unlimited class sailplanes and the only advantage the Sailplane receiver has over the Nano is a much better antenna. Nano antenna are a real pain in skinny sailplane fuselages. Sailplanes normally spend a lot of flying time at extreme range and I have yet to experience any range problems with any XPS receiver. I have been flying only XPS receivers for the last 10 years.
Today, 08:03 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckA
Nano antenna are a real pain in skinny sailplane fuselages.
Amen !

Pete
Today, 10:50 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
That's why there is the RFU. Smaller than a sailplane receiver, and much better antenna system!