Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Feb 22, 2012, 08:13 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
rcwings's Avatar
Looking good guys! Keep up the good work, Startin to look like a plane!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2012, 10:11 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
rcwings's Avatar
OK, just so you guys don't think I have been slacking off, here is the project that has been postponing the RV-4 build. Covering is finally done and just need to complete a few finishing touches and paint some plastic when the garage warms up. Lucky for me the RV does not have two wings or N-struts.......those dang struts alone took me two hours each to cover....but am really happy with the outcome so far.

So to stay on the topic of this thread.....here is the RV-4 being inspected by the supervisor. If approved......construction will begin shortly!
Feb 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
Registered User

wow


great covering job! It's another daunting aspect of this project for me. Could use some tips when the time comes. Like how you could cleanly get the red/white and black in there to look like it was painted on. Great job!
Feb 25, 2012, 01:46 PM
Registered User
hmmm still a delay with starting the fuse. One fuse side is refusing to straighten out, wet it and weighed it down again. The other side straghtened out nice.
So I find myself with another delemma. The left wing tip and far left end of the wing are 1/8" shorter then the rest of the wing? Have no idea how it occured. I'm thinking the fix would be to resheet the end of the wing from the spar back and open the abs at the TE of the tip and add some scrap abs. Open to suggestions.
Feb 25, 2012, 02:22 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
rcwings's Avatar
Rob,

I think that might be the best bet to resolve the issue. Is the taper correct to where it ends? If so you could just add a small piece of balsa (CA'd) to the trailing edge as well as the tip and sand accordingly. Failing that you will likely need to re sheet at least top or bottom in that section.

Marko
Last edited by rcwings; Feb 25, 2012 at 02:33 PM.
Feb 25, 2012, 02:23 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
rcwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai
great covering job! It's another daunting aspect of this project for me. Could use some tips when the time comes. Like how you could cleanly get the red/white and black in there to look like it was painted on. Great job!
Thanks! I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Am in the process of writing up something to get you going with tips and tricks for success.
Feb 25, 2012, 02:29 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
Thanks! I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Am in the process of writing up something to get you going with tips and tricks for success.
HA!

I'd be thrilled with that nice a covering job. Thanks for considering doing that - seriously.
Feb 25, 2012, 02:32 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
Rob,

I would not be concerned with 1/8" difference in the wing halves span. It may be possible that the plan is off so when you built over it....would account for the difference. If it bugs you, you can change it, but for that amount I doubt very much it will be noticeable in appearance or flight characteristics. Your call.

Hmmmm...may have misunderstood what your issue is. Is is possible your aileron is thicker than what is needed due to the leading edge piece not being shaved down enough? Might be easier to shave a bit off the rons to make it all the same........

Marko

The rest of the left wing and right wing is 2 1/4" off the WTE spar including the flaps and ailerons, it's just the end to the left of the left aileron that is 2 1/8".
Feb 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
rcwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai
The rest of the left wing and right wing is 2 1/4" off the WTE spar including the flaps and ailerons, it's just the end to the left of the left aileron that is 2 1/8".
Sorry I misunderstood and rewrote my response. See above.
Feb 25, 2012, 02:37 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
Sorry I misunderstood and rewrote my response. See above.
Great... well I better get at it. I'll remove the sheeting from the WTE back and redo. The abs shouldn't be that difficult. Removing the sheeting though could be a pain.

Thanks Marko
Feb 25, 2012, 02:48 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
rcwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai
Great... well I better get at it. I'll remove the sheeting from the WTE back and redo. The abs shouldn't be that difficult. Removing the sheeting though could be a pain.

Thanks Marko
Rob....is the taper ok to the existing TE on the tip in question (aside from ABS)? Or is the taper off as well? If the taper is OK and it is just short, then you can CA a small piece to the TE to extend it and sand it to match, maybe even fill slightly to smooth out as 1/8 is not that much. If the taper is out, then you will likely be best to pull the sheeting off on the smallest section you can get away with to extend the TE. Does that make sense?
Feb 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
Rob....is the taper ok to the existing TE on the tip in question (aside from ABS)? Or is the taper off as well? If the taper is OK and it is just short, then you can CA a small piece to the TE to extend it and sand it to match, maybe even fill slightly to smooth out as 1/8 is not that much. If the taper is out, then you will likely be best to pull the sheeting off on the smallest section you can get away with to extend the TE. Does that make sense?
The taper is good but short 1/8". I've tried to figure out how to extend but because the taper is good it would be messed up trying to tack something on to it. I've got the sheeting off now from the WTE and will redo it. Then just open up the abs tip and add 1/8" to that. Hopefully with bondo I'll be able to make it smooth.
Feb 25, 2012, 05:39 PM
Registered User
pablojaime's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings
OK, just so you guys don't think I have been slacking off, here is the project that has been postponing the RV-4 build. Covering is finally done and just need to complete a few finishing touches and paint some plastic when the garage warms up. Lucky for me the RV does not have two wings or N-struts.......those dang struts alone took me two hours each to cover....but am really happy with the outcome so far.

So to stay on the topic of this thread.....here is the RV-4 being inspected by the supervisor. If approved......construction will begin shortly!
Nice Work!!!!

Pablo
Feb 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
Registered User
pablojaime's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkai
hmmm still a delay with starting the fuse. One fuse side is refusing to straighten out, wet it and weighed it down again. The other side straghtened out nice.
So I find myself with another delemma. The left wing tip and far left end of the wing are 1/8" shorter then the rest of the wing? Have no idea how it occured. I'm thinking the fix would be to resheet the end of the wing from the spar back and open the abs at the TE of the tip and add some scrap abs. Open to suggestions.
Sorry to hear (see??) your problem... you will find a way to overcome!!!

Pablo
Feb 25, 2012, 06:10 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
rcwings's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablojaime
Nice Work!!!!

Pablo
Thanks Pablo.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Wanted:Great Planes RV-4 40 kit Warby Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Nov 27, 2005 05:04 PM
FS- Great Planes RV-4 Ready to ... wolfast Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 May 01, 2004 05:56 PM
Ebay - Magnum XL-61 4-stroke and Great Planes RV-4 kit <24 hrs to go neilo Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Feb 23, 2004 12:37 AM
Great Planes RV-4 kit pepflyer Electric Plane Talk 2 Jan 10, 2003 04:09 PM
Great Planes RV-4 conversion anyone? All__talk Sport Planes 7 Apr 01, 2002 02:53 PM