Slow Build Thread for RT models Ivan Pettigrew De Havilland Mosquito - RC Groups
Mar 07, 2008, 08:04 PM
Discussion

Slow Build Thread for RT models Ivan Pettigrew De Havilland Mosquito

Well I was able to grab this kit of Perry (Rudderman98). So far the laser cutting looks pretty good.

I don't have a big enough work bench to be able layout all the parts. I hope to be able to have it built for May Chilliwack. But I think that is going to be pretty tight to get it done for then. I found out the day after my Granny passed away that she use to build the wings for the Mosquito during the war. I was really upset that I didn't learn that info before she died so I could have had a chance to talk with her about it. I am going to do some research and see what planes came out of her factory and try and match up a color scheme to it.

Colin
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2008, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo007
Well I was able to grab this kit of Perry (Rudderman98). So far the laser cutting looks pretty good.

I don't have a big enough work bench to be able layout all the parts. I hope to be able to have it built for May Chilliwack.
Colin
Go man go
Mar 08, 2008, 02:17 AM
Student of Ivan
Colin,

I'm signed up for this build as well. It will be interesting to see how well a laser cut Ivan's plan goes together.

Sorry to hear about your Granny too. There's alot of hidden history out there in the older generations. My father passed away 4 years ago and I still regret not talking to him more about his Naval career which included photo interpretation at the Pentagon during the Bay of Pigs and Cuban missile crisis. Unfortunately, much of this history and their stories are disappearing without being properly honored, but at least in your case, your Granny's unknown history is being honored posthumously.

John
Mar 08, 2008, 12:39 PM

colin

hi colin. im from winnipeg. were are you getting lazer cut parts for ivans mosquito. thanks carl
Mar 08, 2008, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARL SCHIMNOWSKI
hi colin. im from winnipeg. were are you getting lazer cut parts for ivans mosquito. thanks carl
You can't get this kit anymore. I bought it off a Rcgroups member used.

Here is a link to RT models. But be warned some others are having problems getting there kits delivered.

http://rtmodels.com/Ivan_Pettigrew_D_H_Mosquito.htm

Colin
Last edited by Gonzo007; Mar 09, 2008 at 10:43 PM.
Mar 08, 2008, 05:08 PM
Well today I stopped buy Norburn hobbies and bought all the wood I will need to make the strips. I am going to start framing up the fuse tonight. My wife has to go out so I will have a few hours to be able to work on it. But first things first clean up the workshop, so I can move in it.

Colin
Mar 09, 2008, 01:08 AM
Yeah, danged if we didn't have to clean our workshops every now and then, we'd get so much more done. I think I spend almost as much time cleaning the workshop as I spend messing-up the workshop.

Well anyways the laser cutting looks pretty nice. You're the first person to post about building from this kit so I'll be watching it with interest (even though it's no longer available). According to Pentaxman the Mosquito is one "cracking" flyer (maybe you Canadians will understand that), so I think you'll be happy with the end result in any case.

Luke
Mar 09, 2008, 09:12 PM
Well tonight I have started to work on the tail. What is Disappointing is the parts don't match the scaling of the plans. I tried the original set and my copy and neither are a match. The original and the copy are only about 1/32 difference and the parts to the plans are almost 1/8. So I will be doing a bit of adjustment to make all the parts fit. But it still allot nicer for me then cutting out all the parts by hand.

Colin
Mar 09, 2008, 10:17 PM
I have finished framing up the elevator now. I think I am going to put some cross braces in like pentaxman did on his build.

Here a few pictures. So far I have about 45 minutes into the build.

Colin
Mar 10, 2008, 01:23 AM
Well you can be sure it takes more than 45 minutes on the elevator when you're scratch-building an Ivan plan! So I'd say good work.

Seems like you should probably just build to the parts, rather the plan, if the two don't match. So long as the parts are happy with each other I think everything will turn out fine.

Luke
Mar 10, 2008, 08:45 AM
Student of Ivan
Looking good Colin.
Geez, it's going together faster than Perry's Beverley!

John
Mar 10, 2008, 04:39 PM
Hello Colin

What's with the OREO cookies ? You are making me hungry !

Hal
Mar 12, 2008, 12:41 PM
Gonzo.

Just to reitterate Lukes comments, any hassles you have now will be more than worth it when you fly your Mossie.
I built mine from scratch with Ivans plans, and there were some issues along the way especially since I was using brushless motors.

I will not say she flies like a trainer, but she is not far off. As long as you have had some tail dragger experience and are used to using the rudder then she will fly easily.

The sound of twin engines running is amazing, especially with the 3 blade props I fitted.

She has a certain presence both in the air and on the ground, and I quickly get an audience when she flies - be they Joe Public or experienced fliers.

Good luck
Jun 01, 2008, 06:36 PM
What Tree
Gonzo, Im not sure if you new but Brad Trent had a Ivan Mossie acouple of years ago and it flew great. I look forward in the posts to come.