Mar 07, 2008, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Stihl Engine Conversion

I'm converting a rear intake engine from a Stihl FS44 trimmer. Will I mess up the intake if I cut the carb intake tube down? I'm try to reduce the distance the carb sticks out. I'm also having a hard time determining what size engine this is. Stihl's website doesn"t offer much info since it's an older model trimmer. I'm not even sure it's a Stihl as there are no stampings or etched markings. I'm heading to a Stihl dealer next but wanted to try this forum first. The motor came with a Walbro WT-160B carb. I've heard putting a larger bore carb makes a big improvement in power. How much larger? I think the bore is 7.63 mm. The next size is 9.63. Is that enough??? Thanks for any help. Tim
to remove ads between posts
Mar 08, 2008, 10:53 PM
I'm no expert, but I would recommend getting a "made for aircraft" engine.

Unless, it's just the challenge you're after.
Mar 09, 2008, 08:59 AM
Thread OP

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion and I would agree it's not cost or weight effective to mess with these engines unless you've been in the hobby and accumulated a bunch of spare parts.
Mar 09, 2008, 10:14 AM
MY DREAM: FLYING

Chainsaw conversion

Hello Tim

Me and my friends have converted a chainsaw engine into air.
The only problem are the machined pieces needed to mount the prop.
Also puting electronic ignition instead of original.
Have tested and all seems to be OK.
It's a 36ccm, assembled in US, a funny brand on label :"O.K."
It's turning a 20x8 prop with 6500rpm.
Total weight is 1750grms including engine mufler battery and ignition.

Is a good choice for a low cost engine.

Your's
JIMMY
Mar 09, 2008, 08:12 PM
Thread OP

Engine Ideas

Great looking set-up. I'm doing the same with an electronic ignition. I'm just regretting this trimmer is rear intake and not through the side. Less space from the firewall. Hindsight is everything. Tim
Mar 09, 2008, 09:00 PM
Here's my weedeater conversion https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793079
Mar 09, 2008, 10:32 PM
Here's my 75cc Stihl conversion. Complete with RCXCEL ignition. My 75cc Stihl swings a Xoar 24-10 at 7300RPM. It weighs 4lbs -- 6 ounces WITH the ignition system, battery and muffler.

Quote:
I'm no expert, but I would recommend getting a "made for aircraft" engine.

Unless, it's just the challenge you're after.
You're right. You sir, are not an expert. You DO realize that the Fox, Brison, Zenoah, Taurus engines originated from chainsaw engines?

Conversion engines are a good value. They aren't heavy. They run good. I paid $325 for my 75cc engine. It's got a brand new cylinder, piston, rings, bearings, seals and carb. The only used parts in the engine are the crank and rod. Those don't wear out if you don't run the engine lean.
Mar 10, 2008, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcpilet
You're right. You sir, are not an expert. You DO realize that the Fox, Brison, Zenoah, Taurus engines originated from chainsaw engines?
I have described my Zenoah powered plane as sounding like a flying chainsaw.

For me, the converting part would be a bummer.

BTW...nice looking converted engine set up!

Quick Reply