Mar 05, 2008, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Profile F-101B Voodoo build...

Here's what I worked on tonight, 39" long, wingspan is around 24", area near 200 sq inches. Overall weight for the structure is 3 oz so far. Motor mounted in the stinger.

Will do a full flying elevator for simplicity and ailerons. Man, that wing looks tiny

It's a direct scale up of a 3 view, with a modified canopy/nose/afterburners for the B version.

Still would like to find exactly what color they were gray/light blue.

I have some documentation for Voodoo's, in the photos it certainly looks like most of the F-101B's used by air guard were a very light blue, but I heard one reference to a Gray, does someone have a reference color on the web I could look at?

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Mar 06, 2008 at 02:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2008, 04:57 PM
Early ones were dull aluminum (natural). then light grey. then camo..., never saw a blue one....
Mar 05, 2008, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Here's two pictures I was referring to, maybe it's gray, but it sure looks light blue...
Mar 06, 2008, 05:38 AM
The Ultimate Interceptor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Here's two pictures I was referring to, maybe it's gray, but it sure looks light blue...
Frank, the color was called Air Defense Gray. Our F-106's were the same color and it does seem to have a very slight bluish hue to it.
Mar 06, 2008, 06:52 AM
EB-66C Team Member
I agree with DD. I've seen alot of pics of them and there does seem to be a bluish cast to the "gray".
Here are pics I took at Ellsworth AFB in their display area. They were taken on a gray day.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
Mar 06, 2008, 10:30 AM
Thread OP
Ok, Air Defece Gray was what I had read, maybe I'll give my gray a light misting of the light blue just to give that same effect.

Frank
Mar 06, 2008, 01:54 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I would mix a little blue into the gray till it looks right to you.

J
Mar 06, 2008, 02:12 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
Frank,

This is not really a very good picture, but its an RF-101 Voodoo done up in Viet Nam lizard paint. I took this while stationed at Clark AB, Philippines in 1966/68.

Tony
Mar 06, 2008, 05:26 PM
hey frank,
nice job. i'm working on a built up Voodoo design currently. i'm very interested in hearing how she performs for you and where you find the CG to be optimal in the flat plate version. has she flown already?
-beanie
Mar 06, 2008, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, this is just taped together, but I did do some glide tests last night, it was a little tail heavy just as is, but not by much, I have the CG currently at 6" from the leading edge at the fuse, which is about where the wing would intersect the fuse if you extended it fully to the fuselage. My chord now is around 13.75", but the rear of the wing also extends to the fuse.

When I did a quick MAC drawing using just the wing where it hits the intake tunnels, it showed 30% of mac would be about 8" aft, and I'm running 6". I think that's pretty close to a full fuse, as the fuse/intake tunnels add quite a bit of area, the full fuse would have more forward area due to the fuse profile where mine doesn't have any area forward of the intakes. I'm going to run a C-20 1500Kv motor with a 6x4, this is the same motor I'm running in my XF-85 goblin which weighs around 9 oz with about the same wing area. That motor weighs only around 26 grams, which I wanted since the motor is pretty far aft in the stinger, which is why I put off making a voodoo for a while. I think it will work fine with a 1320 pack, and weigh around 9 oz rtf.

The wing is quite small, so you have to either keep it light, or make it large, my current length was set at the max depron length I had without splicing of 39", and the wing is pretty small. I think if you don't keep it light, you'll have to launch with a lot of throttle, and with the tiny wings, you will have some good torque roll on hand launch.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
hey frank,
nice job. i'm working on a built up Voodoo design currently. i'm very interested in hearing how she performs for you and where you find the CG to be optimal in the flat plate version. has she flown already?
-beanie
Last edited by burkefj; Mar 06, 2008 at 06:37 PM.
Mar 06, 2008, 11:38 PM
EB-66C Team Member
That's the same problem I have been worried about. Heavy motor, way back, needs bigger batt to balance, bigger batt, more weight, yada, yada, yada.
So I have put it off too. Now that I know what the LSSPJ will do I figure to go ahead and build one. Plus my F-105 flies great on a small wing.
Looking forward to your build.

J
Mar 07, 2008, 02:16 AM
Thread OP
Here's the completed parts sanded and ready to assemble.

Beanie, you can see a small black spek about where the carbon spar hits the centerline, that's where my CG is.

I decided to use basswood blocks on either side of the fin to give more support to the pivot for the full flying tail, and I used small depron fairing pieces in the front and back to blend it in. It should look ok with the tail mounted.

Frank
Last edited by burkefj; Mar 07, 2008 at 02:34 AM.
Mar 09, 2008, 09:38 PM
Thread OP

Maiden...

Here's the finished plane, I managed to get done and fly it this evening with the extra hour of daylight. Like my Komet this morning, the test glide conservative CG was still a bit aft, but nothing that prevented me from flying it. It only took 1/2 ounce of nose weight to move it 3/8"+ forward which should be fine.

Unfortunately with paint and decals, etc, it came out at 12 oz, 2 ounces more than I was hoping, but the little C20 flew it fine. It isn't over powered but flies very nicely, other than being pitch sensitve due to the CG on the test flight, it made rediculously small loops, and rolls extremely extremely fast. Landing was very nice, although due to the CG I over-flared a bit and touched down tail first. It looks really good in the air, the full flying tail has good authority, and the T-tail really has a nice look in the air.

For Beenie, if you upscaled a bit, say another 50%, and with a lsjs and kept it under 20 oz, it should be a great flyer.

Frank
Mar 09, 2008, 09:56 PM
congrats on the maiden. sounds like a nice flyer. mine is designed for 36" WS. it'll probably be 24-30oz i'm guessing. i never know exactly how to measure the wing area, but if i just take the silhoutte of the wing, i get 400sqin of wing. at 30oz, i'd still be at just 11oz/sqft; so i'm hoping for a gentle flyer. i'm finishing up the final CAD stage and soon i'll be cutting out pieces and test fitting them. how much down thrust did you introduce to the motor mount? right now, mine is guesticalculated at 5 degrees which seems like a touch much. i'll be limited on work on mine because of work schedule. i'm out of town or busy for something like 6 of the next 7 weekends! that takes a huge bite out of r/c time.
-beanie
Mar 09, 2008, 11:06 PM
EB-66C Team Member
From the pic, doesn't look like any upthrust. I used 2 or 3 degrees upthrust in all my high motor mounted F-4s.
Looks good Frank. Congrats

J

Quick Reply