Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 04, 2008, 03:37 AM
Student of Ivan
mountainman2442's Avatar
Discussion

Chilliwack BC May 2008 Fly-in


There's still several months to go, but I'm getting quite excited about actually coming out for the May Chilliwack meet this year. I hope to, no by gosh, I will have the Beverley done by then and have her shipped out via Greyhound for the meet. LukeZ has graciously volunteered to be my chauffer, host and tour guide for the trip. Actually, this trip started as his idea. Not sure if he really thought things would come together when he suggested it, cause I didn't! But with the blessings of my wonderful wife ("You're going to travel 2500 miles, just to fly your airplanes?!?!") and the help of a decent tax return, things have been falling into place. I even tempted fate and purchased my plane ticket last week.

Of course, flying isn't the main reason to come out, meeting many of the folks in-person that I've had the sincere pleasure to meet here on RCG is at the top of the list. The talent up there in the northwest is amazing!

Since I am a married guy with three growing children, I'd like to save a few bucks on the trip where I can. Is there anyone who would be interested in splitting a room at the Days Inn? I'd stay with Luke but since Sarah is coming too, well, three's a crowd as they say . I currently have reservations for May 23-26 and I do get a corporate discount which knocks 10% off the price. It doesn't have to be for the whole time, if you just want to split a day or so, that would be fine. No hurry on deciding, but just wanted to throw this out...

Anyway, this promises to be a memorable trip. I'd say I can't wait but I know the time will pass by fast enough, especially with me scurrying to get the Beverley finished!

John
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2008, 06:48 PM
Registered User
LukeZ's Avatar
Woohoo! It's never too early to start discussing the next Chilliwack. I've been checking the weather already but for some reason they don't yet have the forecast for May posted.

In terms of impressive Ivan planes in attendance, I think this spring may beat them all! Or at any rate it certainly has the potential to. Record numbers of Solents, Mars, and Beverleys are rumored to make an appearance.

Can't wait to have you out here John, we're going to have a great time!


Luke
Mar 04, 2008, 09:13 PM
Fly2Build.com
scratchnhover's Avatar
Oh boy, you guys are making this trip hard to pass up. Its killing me not to come! Is it too early to start a chilliwack 2009 thread?

Maybe the planets will align somehow and a goose will maiden before the middle of May...one can dream anyhow.
Mar 04, 2008, 09:31 PM
Registered User
RiBell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman2442
There's still several months to go, but I'm getting quite excited about actually coming out for the May Chilliwack meet this year. I hope to, no by gosh, I will have the Beverley done by then
John
OK since you've thrown the gauntlet down as a challange; I will do my best to have my Solant ready as well.
Rick
Mar 04, 2008, 11:55 PM
Electric baptism 1975
DavidN's Avatar
What are the dates?

I am only 4 hours away.......if it doesn't snow on the mountain passes.
Mar 05, 2008, 12:03 AM
Registered User
RiBell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
What are the dates?

I am only 4 hours away.......if it doesn't snow on the mountain passes.
It's the US Memorial day weekend
Mar 05, 2008, 02:52 AM
Student of Ivan
mountainman2442's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN
What are the dates?
David - According to the MAAC website it's May 23-26, as Rick mentioned.

Mikjon - We are going to the Evergreen museum as well (you gotta see the Hercules!)...com'on up man!
You're only what, 12 hours away? Less if you fly most of the way, I'm sure there's somewhere close you can land your plane...

John
Mar 05, 2008, 03:13 AM
Student of Ivan
mountainman2442's Avatar
I forgot to mention that I've found someone to share a room with for Friday and Saturday night. Falconhob was in the same boat so he's going to share the room. Thanks Wayne! It's really going to be a great time.

John
Mar 05, 2008, 07:16 AM
96RC/3178W
MattZC's Avatar
Aww man I want to come!!!! It sounds like you guys are gonna have the biggest Ivan's Planes party yet! I believe it is now:

3 Beverlys,
[Rudderman98, Mountainman2442, and Ivan's]

4 {5} Solents,
[LukeZ, RiBell, Ivans 400 and 480] {Mountainman2442}???

2 or 3 Mars [??]
[Rudderman98, Falconhob, and Ivan's old one]


Am I right with all of these, or Perry are you not going to bring both the Mars and the Bev.?


I dont know how many others but I believe those are the big groups.

Guys, make sure to take lots of pictures!!!
Mar 05, 2008, 09:13 AM
Slip the surly bonds...
Sopwith Mike's Avatar
I'm jealous! Trevor and I are definitely coming over for 2009 but neither of us can make it this year. Take lots of pictures, you lucky guys. My Catalina is 90% finished on the building side, and with the flight battery (a 3-cell 3700 Lipoly) and all the other hardware, still only weighs 3lb, so it looks as though I've got a fair margin of error for the covering. Solartex on the wings, Litespan on the tail and glass-cloth for the fuz and sundry sheeted parts. Then some paint, markings, charge the battery and....some time in April?
Mar 05, 2008, 07:14 PM
Registered User
Gonzo007's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjem13
Aww man I want to come!!!! It sounds like you guys are gonna have the biggest Ivan's Planes party yet! I believe it is now:

3 Beverlys,
[Rudderman98, Mountainman2442, and Ivan's]

4 {5} Solents,
[LukeZ, RiBell, Ivans 400 and 480] {Mountainman2442}???

2 or 3 Mars [??]
[Rudderman98, Falconhob, and Ivan's old one]


Am I right with all of these, or Perry are you not going to bring both the Mars and the Bev.?


I dont know how many others but I believe those are the big groups.

Guys, make sure to take lots of pictures!!!

Plus we will have a MiniCat and a Big cat and most likely 2 old Sealands.

It should be a blasted

Colin
Mar 06, 2008, 03:25 AM
Student of Ivan
mountainman2442's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopwith Mike
I'm jealous! Trevor and I are definitely coming over for 2009 but neither of us can make it this year. Take lots of pictures, you lucky guys. My Catalina is 90% finished on the building side, and with the flight battery (a 3-cell 3700 Lipoly) and all the other hardware, still only weighs 3lb, so it looks as though I've got a fair margin of error for the covering. Solartex on the wings, Litespan on the tail and glass-cloth for the fuz and sundry sheeted parts. Then some paint, markings, charge the battery and....some time in April?
Mike, Now I'll have to try to make this an annual trip !

I've been watching your Catalina build by the way and enjoying every update too! She's looking great.

John
Mar 07, 2008, 01:20 AM
Registered User
LukeZ's Avatar
Mike we'll definitely take lots of photos for you, hopefully of some Catalinas too. We'll have you so motivated for 2009 you won't be able to wait!


Luke
Last edited by LukeZ; Dec 21, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
Mar 07, 2008, 01:24 AM
Registered User
LukeZ's Avatar
And I couldn't help but to put up this photo as well, taken last May by Hal Norrish. Good times!

Can't wait to see the lineup this year!


Luke
Mar 07, 2008, 03:06 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
Sopwith Mike's Avatar
Has anyone had any experience of sending models air-freight? I can't see any other way of getting mine out to Chilliwack next year. The Catalina box will be about 90"x20"x20", and if the Princess gets built in time, that's another similar size box, but not as long: say 60 or 70", as the wing will divide in two, just like a glider.

Mike


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fly-In Chilliwack BC May Fly-In Airbus RC Flight Events 46 Jan 13, 2007 12:05 PM
Chilliwack Red Barns Indoor Fly-In this Weekend! DougB RC Flight Events 0 Feb 27, 2004 11:05 AM
Chilliwack Spring Classic Electric Fly-In - 2002 dave_lilley RC Flight Events 4 Sep 11, 2002 11:57 PM
Chilliwack Spring Classic Electric Fly-In - 2002 dave_lilley Site Chat 0 Sep 02, 2002 12:24 AM
Article Chilliwack Spring Classic Electric Fly-In - 2002 Martin Hunter RC Flight Events 0 Sep 01, 2002 01:00 AM