Mar 01, 2008, 03:34 PM
Balls O' Wood
Thread OP
Discussion

Organic 2/2.5m experiences

Although there are bits here and there on RC Groups, and some related threads, I couldn't find a thread expressly devoted to sharing experences with the Organic sailplane from Vladimir's models. So, I thought I'd start one. Hopefully many of you out there experienced with this model will chime in.
Last edited by RV-4 flyer; Mar 01, 2008 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2008, 03:41 PM
Balls O' Wood
Thread OP

Variants of the Organic

To eliminate confusion, there are two variations of this model that I am aware of: a 2 meter version (78.75") with a root chord length of 210mm and a 2.4 meter (98.5") with a root chord length of 190mm. Both employ the MH-32 airfoil, and are available as pure sailplanes and electrics. They are produced by Vladimir's models in Ukraine.

http://www.airplane-model.com/organic2000sp.htm
Last edited by RV-4 flyer; Mar 01, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Mar 01, 2008, 04:08 PM
Balls O' Wood
Thread OP
After admiring this sailplane for many years, I finally acquired one. I swung a deal with sal (of NSP) for a used one that he apparently hadn't flown in many years. It shows it's age by needing recovering and some minor repairs, but sure is a beautiful design. I look forward to restoring it to tip-top shape.

But before I got started on that I decided to take it out and fly it when the opportunity presented itself a couple days ago. If i was gonna have a mishap with it I figured I'd rather have it happen with the model a little rough than freshly recovered. The weather gave a nice little break from the cold and wind of an Indiana February and was beautiful with a sunny sky and light breezes... which turned out to be nice little thermals moving through.

I had taken the time to set up the radio the night before and balance the model. There seems to be some confusion out there regarding CG range for this model and I think some of it comes from the two different chord lengths/versions. Even the manufacturer's site lists one CG one place and others elsewhere. Anyhow, I went from the drawing above and balanced mine at about 85mm or so. Mine is the 2 meter version.

My model, with a good old Hitec Super-Slim RX and Volz Micro-Max servos throughout weighs 854 grams/29.89 oz without an RX pack. I flew with a 4xAAA 750 Mah pack to get that balance above with no additional nose weight. I need to weigh that pack to get an all-up weight. Anyway, very light for what it is. Cool.
Last edited by RV-4 flyer; Mar 01, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Mar 01, 2008, 04:21 PM
RV4-Flyer, I really like your all red Organic, it looks very good and the white tape on the LE is something I will copy.
The carbon D-box is way cool, but hard to see when desending/landing to a dark background.

My Organic is the 2.4m, I bought it second hand and it is my first pure sailplane. Up until now I have been flying all kinds of things and only powered sailplanes so I have very little to compare 'pure' sailplanes too...But I love the Organic!
It's still winter here in Finland, but I have managed a 8:58minutes flight and that is what I will have to beat next time I'm out. I have totally fallen for the sailplane thingie and the Organic should have the honorsfor leading me to the right path.
I think the quality of this plane is excellent.

My last fuel plane will be sold next week and replaced by...jep, another pure sailplane

/Former motorhead, now a sailplane nutter

Here is a picture of it fresh off the hi-start.

And the maiden
Organic 2.5sp maiden (1 min 46 sec)

-------
AR7000 receiver
2100mah ni-mh
2x hs81 on aileron
1x hs85mg on flap
2x Graupner c261 on tail
CG @ 80mm
-------
Last edited by Test005; Mar 01, 2008 at 04:35 PM.
Mar 01, 2008, 04:28 PM
Balls O' Wood
Thread OP

First flights

Hey there Test!

I've been enjoying your Organic thread and will probably list links to it and others. Such a cool sailplane.

Well I range checked and found a little glitching and so I rearranged the model to be a little farther off the ground by propping it up on my field bag and this seemed ok. Sal had the antenna running through the carbon/kevlar weave fuselage and I left it there thinking I might run it outside if need be. But seems good for now, and appparently it worked for Sal, so...

Deep breath and hand chuck to 20' or so. Nice. Floats. Had the flaps set about 3-5 degrees and l didn't touch them, just let it glide. Didn't think it was ever gonna stop sliding in the snow after touching down. Two more. Last one was a big circle to a landing with half flap. Out comes the highstart. Same 3 degrees of flap. Another deep breath and up it goes. Straight up and very steep. Tries to stall on the line a couple times. I hold nose down. Off the line I find no evil traits. Seems slippery like a moldie. Stall is gentle enough. No tendancy to tip stall any more than normal, from what I can tell. Anyway I'm nervous, but have no problem. Seems to be flying well enough, and almost comes to a stop with flaps for landing. Total of three trim flights off the highstart and then on the fourth flight I see it climbing very steeply on the line and I'm still holding a little down and I think "hey, I think I just flew through some lift on the line"... so I circle around and 15 seconds later whaddya know, I find it. "Saddle up the horses John, there's lift in them 'thar hills! Thermal gold!" I had the new RAM3 on board and here are the results showing the three trim flights and my lucky thermal hook up.
Mar 01, 2008, 04:42 PM
When I hand launched mine for trimming it flew way further than expected. Overshot the small soccer pitch I was at and got me in trouble,,, both times.

Ouch, that's a serious flight there! Only thing is that you should keep the altimeter in Meters, not feet. It's so confusing for 'metric people' like me ??? (Divide by three, right?)
I should get an altimeter also, in fact that's on the top of my when-wife-looks-other-way shopping list. I was thinking to get the Zlog4, seems like a nice unit.
Is your O the 2m or 2.4m? ...Sorry the 6.56feet or 8.2feet
Mar 01, 2008, 04:44 PM
Balls O' Wood
Thread OP
Mine's the 2m -I forgot to mention that, didn't I?

The dip in the graph after peak altitude is me running for the other side of the sky out of fear. I was looking to get out of the lift. I don't yet feel comfortable at really high altitudes with this thing yet. Just not set up to my liking. I still feel like I have to fly it all the time, and that's hard when you can barely see it. I think the CG is too far back. The dive test is OK, but the recovery is very slow.

Wow does this thing move though! It went whistling across the sky and I got a little concerned because there is a lot of slop in the ailerons (at the hinge inboard end it seems) and I thought they would just flutter off at any moment. Well, they didn't. I then found another thermal and bailed out of it too. Tried my 'thermal escape maneuver'. Full flap and full aileron, rudder and elevator back. It didn't come down fast at all, doing a very flat spiral. Graph shows 350fpm descent for that maneuver -which is about what the max climb rate was in the first thermal.

I definitely have to get this ship figured out before I get it to speck altitude. It needs to be very predictable for me to fly it out at distance -an I'm not there yet. It was a little spooky.
Mar 01, 2008, 05:00 PM
Balls O' Wood
Thread OP
So l should have quit there, but hey, that was fun! Let's do it again! So I had a near miss.

Up it goes just as a stiff little breeze starts blowing and I'm thinking 'Thermal!', but the air is cold and my eyes start watering and I'm blinking frantically to keep the plane from going blurry -and this thing goes up the line fast (it's just so light and clean -makes my highstart line whistle). Well, I get off the line and it's just acting weird -I think it's me at first, and I resist freaking out a little and it's sort of on the edge of control and I'm still blinking and trying to wipe my eyes, and I just want to get it down in one piece. Long story short I drop the flaps and sort of plunk it down ungracefully in some weeds off the field in a slow slightly descending turn. Not bad. No damage. Very short flight. Sigh of relief.

I find the problem. Ruddervator horn broke loose from the left ruddervator. Looks like it might have happened a time or two before-judging from the glue evidence there. Whew!
Last edited by RV-4 flyer; Mar 01, 2008 at 05:08 PM.
Mar 01, 2008, 05:05 PM
Balls O' Wood
Thread OP

Photos of the 'experience'

Well, hopefully I'll get to fly again soon, but need to come up with a good fix for the V-tail control horns.
Mar 01, 2008, 05:10 PM
So I take it a V-tail flies with only one side working? (This is my first V-tail but I like the clean look of it)
My O balanced at aboutish 80mm is good, it cruises hands off and I can't wait to get my first strong thermal pulling it way up there.

This plane definately moves though, it's slick and cruises up wind with no effort. I like that you can range anywhere to look for lift, wind penetration is really no show stopper on this one.

My aileros and flaps are very locked in, no slopp in the hinge lines. Actually the best hinges I've seen, they have some special design that I'm not familiar wih.

...Mine is charged and good to go, looks like I have field day tomorrow.
Mar 01, 2008, 05:18 PM
Balls O' Wood
Thread OP
Yes, it will fly with only one side of the V-tail working, but you'll know something's definitely wrong. That's my take on it. I probably could have done better if I wasn't mildly freaking out.
Mar 01, 2008, 10:48 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Here is a picture of mine taken a few years ago. I will have to admit that the Organic 2m is about one of the best I've flown.

Kurt
Mar 02, 2008, 05:54 AM
I have the 2.5 SP, when there is (some) wind then little reflex (1mm) does a lot of change in keeping up the pace.
I do have the impression that the large deployed flaps make a wake for the Vtail that seems to lose authority in that phase. I have a hard time target-landing this bird compared to other planes. I know, more exercising makes miracles.
That little aluminium(?) block driving the flaps, I had to overhaul it a bit so to fasten the screws harder. The screws have a metal nut now, flaps hold position firm.
Organic is no look-a-like, it has that real own spirit and handling
Jurgen.
Mar 02, 2008, 08:43 AM
AR7000 installed with whiskers, Regretably I had to remove the ballast tube to fit the receiver. The satllite RX is installed in the tail via a 36" extension cable.

In the nose I have 2100mah Sanyo Ni-mh, on/off switch and Graupner C261 servos.
The two extra batteries next to the switch is ballast to get CG right.

The visible cable is connected between the switch and battery, I pop it open when charging the pack.

Bought my bird second hand with everything except the RX installed.
Mar 02, 2008, 05:10 PM
A few quick questions.

Kennedy Composites is recommending (5) JR285 servos and a 1500mah battery pack. Any comments on this setup?

Does this model tend to need noise weight to balance?

The fuse I received appears to be kevlar only (not kevlar/carbon weave). Did anyone build up the area around the tow hook as mentioned in the build directions? I don't quite understand where you would mount the 'epoxy board' to distribute the launch load.

I see some installations where the gear install is in the top and other installations where the gear is installed on the underside. Is there a right/wrong way?
Last edited by Sanman; Mar 02, 2008 at 05:16 PM.

Quick Reply