Thread Tools
Old Mar 01, 2008, 02:44 PM
Edwinzea is offline
Find More Posts by Edwinzea
the answer 42 is
Discussion

Thrust Vs Weight??


Hey there

Im new in electrics, Im now plannig to build a EDF BD5 but I was wondering how to select and EDF what is a good relation Thrust Vs Weight??

thanks for your advices

Edwin
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2008, 07:42 PM
vintage1 is offline
Find More Posts by vintage1
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
EDF? go for at least 150W/lb unless the model is quite slow. Probably at least 30% thrust to weight needed.

Probably more info in the forum devoted to EDF.
Old Mar 01, 2008, 10:11 PM
Ron van Sommeren is offline
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Ron van Sommeren's Avatar
@Edwin
Meet the natives:
www.modelbouwforum.nl

Hey, another 'uomo'

Vriendelijke groeten Ron van Sommeren
int. electric fly-in, Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Old Mar 02, 2008, 07:28 AM
Edwinzea is offline
Find More Posts by Edwinzea
the answer 42 is
thanks Ron But my dutch is not so good,

good fligths

EZ
Old Mar 02, 2008, 12:33 PM
Wulf_Flieger is offline
Find More Posts by Wulf_Flieger
ProBro Wulf
Wulf_Flieger's Avatar
Edwin, General rule of thumb for 3d is 150watts/Lb of plane for good 3d, 200 watts/pound for great 3d power. Depends on your flying style.
Old Mar 02, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hasina75 is offline
Find More Posts by Hasina75
Registered User
Edwinzea> As a rule of thumb, you need at least 1lb of thrust to fly a 3lb model. A model aircraft can not be flown or it just barely stays in the air if the thrust to weight ratio is less than 1/3= 0.33. Some cheap r/c flying toys you purchase at your local toy store have a ratio of 0.25. That's why many customers are not happy with them. They just bring them back to the store and ask for a refund!!!. These are the thrust to weight ratio guidelines:

1lb/3lbs = 0.33 basic flying

1.5lb/3lbs = 0.5 advanced flying


1.71lb/3lbs = 0.57 aggressive flying



There is also a relationship between watts/lb and thrust to weight ratio. If you are curious about it, just look for my thread in which I talk about it. I can not post it twice.
Last edited by Hasina75; Mar 02, 2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2008, 07:34 PM
EDF30 is offline
Find More Posts by EDF30
Suspended Account
EDF30's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasina75
Edwinzea> As a rule of thumb, you need at least 1lb of thrust to fly a 3lb model. A model aircraft can not be flown or it just barely stays in the air if the thrust to weight ratio is less than 1/3= 0.33. Some cheap r/c flying toys you purchase at your local toy store have a ratio of 0.25. That's why many customers are not happy with them. They just bring them back to the store and ask for a refund!!!. These are the thrust to weight ratio guidelines:

1lb/3lbs = 0.33 basic flying

1.5lb/3lbs = 0.5 advanced flying


1.71lb/3lbs = 0.57 aggressive flying



There is also a relationship between watts/lb and thrust to weight ratio. If you are curious about it, just look for my thread in which I talk about it. I can not post it twice.
That's the bottom line. I've found the watts/pound guidlines assume a reasonably light wingloading of 15oz/sq-ft or less. I have EDFs that need 200W/lb to even fly decently.

I'm ready to fly my 4oz EDF30 Vampire now, and am hopefully just above the minimum specs for decent flight. Well see:
1. The Cox 109 wing platform seems to fly well at low power levels with their planes at 5.5oz. I'm at a good bit less, being 4oz AUW.
2. I have 30W total, or 120W/pound.
3. Thrust to weight ratio with 1.5oz thrust is about 37%.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bill
Last edited by EDF30; Apr 01, 2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2009, 01:07 PM
rimshotcopter is online now
Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasina75 View Post
Edwinzea>

There is also a relationship between watts/lb and thrust to weight ratio. If you are curious about it, just look for my thread in which I talk about it. I can not post it twice.
Please post it, I am interested.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:41 AM
flyandi is offline
Find More Posts by flyandi
Registered User
I am interested, too! :-)
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:34 PM
marc1 is offline
Find More Posts by marc1
I will be an angry old man!
marc1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
Hey there

Im new in electrics, Im now plannig to build a EDF BD5 but I was wondering how to select and EDF what is a good relation Thrust Vs Weight??

thanks for your advices

Edwin
Assuming you use quality components, 160-180W/lb is a good setup for an EDF. If you use an inexpensive motor and fan unit, then you may require more than that to get good performance (220-250W/lb).

The most expensive EDF units will be about 75-80% efficient, the cheapest about 50-60% efficient.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:32 PM
asm_ is offline
Find More Posts by asm_
Registered User
I'm glad marc pointed out. It's not as simple as x number of watt per x number of lb. A poorly designed power system could wast more then half of the electric energy by converting it into heat. It's all about efficiency.

-
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:21 PM
flapdown is offline
Find More Posts by flapdown
Suspended Account
***


for high performance EDF jets, 300+ watts/lb... Or
something like 1.5 T/W ratio is very normal.


Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:53 AM
vintage1 is offline
Find More Posts by vintage1
Registered User
vintage1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by asm_ View Post
I'm glad marc pointed out. It's not as simple as x number of watt per x number of lb. A poorly designed power system
= any EDF!
Quote:
could wast more then half of the electric energy by converting it into heat. It's all about efficiency.

-
And EDFs are at best 30% efficient at model flying speeds.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:11 PM
rimshotcopter is online now
Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1 View Post
= any EDF!


And EDFs are at best 30% efficient at model flying speeds.
Would this change for the better as the KV goes higher?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 09:57 PM
Dr Kiwi is offline
Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Registered User
Dr Kiwi's Avatar
I think the problem is that we have miniscule impellers spinning at ridiculously fast rpm (we must do that to get any decent thrust at all).... a tiny impeller generating 100-200mph "pitch speed" is not moving a lot of air (it is just making a hole in it) so, for our modest flight speeds, the system is simply wasting energy making noise and heat. A relatively far larger prop is always going to move air more efficiently than an EDF.

Higher Kv might be fractionally better.....31% efficient???


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Thrust vs Weight??????? (In picking power) arcticflyer Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Oct 31, 2006 11:12 PM
Discussion Thrust vs. Weight freedomflyer Power Systems 2 Jan 01, 2006 07:30 PM
Thrust vs weight and prop sizing BlueSkyBlack___? Electric Plane Talk 2 Sep 06, 2005 09:00 PM
whats the best thrust vs weight in small fans Mike Caspari Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 22 Feb 03, 2003 06:00 PM