Feb 29, 2008, 11:18 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Thread OP
Discussion

3D Hobby Shop 47" Extra 300 SHP***(Part 2)***

Alright guys let's keep this great thread going!!

Due to the huge response and posts to the original 3D Hobby Shop 47" Extra 300 SHP thread (8,727 posts) it has become necessary to start a PART 2 thread on this FANTASTIC airplane.

So please let's keep posting on this new thread with any questions, comments, and pictures/videos you guys have of your 3D Hobby Shop 47" SHPs.

SO LET'S ROCK ON!!

The original thread can be found here:

3D Hobby Shop 47" Extra 300 SHP (Part 1)

After much anticipation and wondering by many as to what 3D Hobby Shop would be offering next in there new line of high quality balsa arf's the wait is finally over. 3D Hobby Shop is pleased to announce there all new 47" Extra 300 SHP (Super High Performance) 3D airplane. This Extra is a 3D Hobby Shop original design that was developed by Scott Stoops (sukhoi26mx) in cooperation with 3D Hobby Shop and their partner factory in China. The sole purpose of the Extra 300 SHP is rock solid 3D flight to the MAX!!

47" Extra 300 SHP Specs:

Wingspan: 47.25"
Wing Area: 464 sq. in.
Length: 44"
AUW: 37-41 oz.
Wing loading: 11.4oz./sq.ft.-12.7oz./sq.ft.

Recommended Equipment:

Motor: Torque 2818T/900
ESC: Torque Airboss 45A Elite
Prop: APC 13 x 6.5E

Battery: 3DHS 3S 2200 20C or lightweight 25C

Servos: (4) HS-65HB

The Extra 300 SHP will come with all the same high quality hardware that the current 3DHS Yak-54 and 3DHS Katana models utilize. However in addition to that the Extra 300 SHP will also come with convienent changes.

- Hinges come pre-installed in all the surfaces.
- Hinge slot in the rear of the fuse now comes pre-cut.
- All Extra 300 SHP's will come with 52mm heavy duty wheels (very solid).
- Scale looking Extra 300 CF landing gear (no straight CF legs on this plane).
- Pull strings in each wing half for aileron wiring.
- Firewall hole is now a perfect match for the Torque 2818T/900 motor.
- 3mm motor mounting harware included.

All 3D Hobby Shop airplanes are made of light weight laser-cut balsa and light plywood. The Extra will come with a pre-cut fiberglass cowl and wheel pants, uniquely effective canopy hatch attachment, and a two piece removeable wing which rests on a carbon fiber wing tube.

3D Hobby Shop will be taking pre-orders on there new Extra 300 SHP within 24hrs. These planes will be available in March and will be offered at a price of $149.99 for the Extra 300 SHP ARF. There will also be a power-combo being offered which will include the airplane, Torque 2818T/900 and the Airboss Elite 45A speed controller for $269.99. Ben has also included a Complete Combo offer that will include pretty much everthing you will need to finish your Extra SHP minus radio and rx.

Update 2/13/08:

Due to the enormous popularity of this airplane and the large number of posts (currently over 8,000) I have decided to post some helpful links that will allow those new to the thread an easier way to seek out some useful information on this terrific airplane. I would also encourage those that have time to read through the entire thread as there is a lot of great additional information that has been posted and definately worth the time to read.

I will continue to udate this post and future posts to come with additional helpful links. I hope everyone finds this as a useful and informative addition to this already immensely popular airplane.

Actual picture of a full-scale SHP:

Mike Guolian's Castrol Aviator SHP

Flight report and RCG's Review:

Scott Stoops' overview of the 47" SHP

RCG's Review

Build Videos by Kevin (IPSmotors):

Build Setup Videos

Alternate Motor Setups:

Cobri Gearbox install pictures

47" Extra 300 SHP Video's:

Scott Stoops video w/ 47" SHP

Scott Stoops flies the Yellow 47" SHP.

Collin Bullock (Cobull) flies the SHP in Australia.

Blucor Basher flies the Yellow 47" SHP.

Video w/ Torque 2814-820/ 3S lipoly/ 14x7 APCe

Josh Young's (BoneDoc) blog with lots of SHP action

Flight SIM Stuff:

SHP for Reflex XTR from W3 group.

Modifications by users:

Pull-pull elevator w/ larger servo by W3 group.

Add-on canpoy latch for SHP V1 owners.

Color-matching spinner for yellow SHP by JE

Cool Stuff:

Cockpit insert file to print out

Earle Andrews' very highly detailed SHP.

.pdf of a Homer Simpson pilot figure - print and cut out for the SHP.

Photo of SHP 47" ARFs on the production line.

Scale cockpit for 47" SHP.

Manual:

.pdf of Instruction manual for V1 Extra SHP 47"
(V2 comes with printed addendum in box).

I will continue to update this post with additional useful and helpful links so as to continue to make this the best and most useful thread on the Groups.

Tim
Last edited by sun.flyer; Nov 22, 2008 at 06:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 29, 2008, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
O.K., let's keep it going guys!!

THIS THREAD IS ALIVE!!!!

Tim
Feb 29, 2008, 11:23 AM
3DHS Koolaid Fan
Subscribed....part Deaux!

Do any of you fellas have a version of an electric SHP for RF3.5 that sems reasonably close to realistic? I downloaded one from Knifedge forums and I love it....but there's no way the real one hovers this easy....
Feb 29, 2008, 11:29 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMX Dave
Subscribed....part Deaux!

Do any of you fellas have a version of an electric SHP for RF3.5 that sems reasonably close to realistic? I downloaded one from Knifedge forums and I love it....but there's no way the real one hovers this easy....

You might be surprised.

I have a version for AFPD and it flies very much like my 47" with just a little fine tuning.

Tim
Feb 29, 2008, 11:30 AM
Team 3DHS
I couldn't believe that we could be at part two with the new way of doing things. I guess 8000 posts is probably the limit .
Feb 29, 2008, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc
I couldn't believe that we could be at part two with the new way of doing things. I guess 8000 posts is probably the limit .

Actually 8,727 must be the new limit Bones.

Tim
Feb 29, 2008, 11:39 AM
3DHS Junkie
aww dang it---so much for the 10,000 post give away
Feb 29, 2008, 11:40 AM
3DHS Koolaid Fan
Another question...is there a free motor calculator program for the Torque motors? I've had great success with sizing prop, ESC, and batt combos so far with the free programs available....I especially like to know the battery life at full throttle so I can set my timer on the DX7. (I usually go 3 times longer....if full throttle time is 3 minutes, I can usually get 9 with my style of flying)
Feb 29, 2008, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 800mZero
aww dang it---so much for the 10,000 post give away

Maybe we could add the two thread totals together.

If so we only need 1,273 posts in the new thread to get to 10,000 total posts.

Hmmmm.......

Tim
Feb 29, 2008, 11:43 AM
3DHS Junkie
Quote:
Another question...is there a free motor calculator program for the Torque motors? I've had great success with sizing prop, ESC, and batt combos so far with the free programs available....I especially like to know the battery life at full throttle so I can set my timer on the DX7. (I usually go 3 times longer....if full throttle time is 3 minutes, I can usually get 9 with my style of flying)
What setup are your running--theres enough of us one here with different setups that we could tell you how many minutes.
Feb 29, 2008, 11:46 AM
I think it should be an 11th post on the 2nd thread give-away!!

p.s. I find it sweet that the moderator had to close the 1st thread becuase there were too many posts! Too much good things to say about this plane that were overloading servers
Feb 29, 2008, 11:47 AM
ADC Vinyl
Quote:
Huh? Why space the motor forward? This is the first I've seen of this.
If the battery has to be too far forward to achieve an acceptable CG, pushing the motor further out in front of the firewall with the spacers should get that weight further forward, and allow you to slide the battery back to get your CG, and have the battery weight more centered over the wings........if my congested, half antibiotic'd head is thinking straight on this.

Lew, I believe this is what you were after?

I have not heard of having to do this on the SHP though.

Does the motor rub on the top of the cowl, or is it close once you put the spacers in? I know I am really close with a direct firewall mount.
Last edited by Fliprob17; Feb 29, 2008 at 11:54 AM.
Feb 29, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:

Dave,

Found this during while conducting a search here on RCG. You might find something that will help you out.

Motor Calculators and Stuff

Tim
Feb 29, 2008, 12:35 PM
Team 3DHS
Quote:
I usually start at 5-6 min, and extend it 30-60 sec each time, till I get close to 80%. IMHO, that's the most reliable way.
Feb 29, 2008, 12:50 PM
3DHS Koolaid Fan
You're talking 80% of the mAh on the pack, right?

Quick Reply