Tinamou - Page 9 - RC Groups
Aug 13, 2008, 08:36 AM
Red Merle ALES VI
Norm,

Thanks for asking, it went quite well. I didn't have it in my heart to throw her off the mountain as she may end up in the bottom of the canyon, I did hi-start her and she's flying real well. Launches and lands great!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892478

Post #2 shows a nice video of Tinamou and other models.

I haven't flown her since I got home but she's all cleaned up and ready to go again, perhaps this weekend.

I plan on going back a few steps such as move the balance point slightly aft and take the fences off. Sometimes I think you'll do things and you think it really helped her fly and then after awhile you go back to the original and find they actually hindered things, so that'll be my next step, but she really is flying fine.

Thanks
Curtis
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2008, 10:36 AM
internet gadfly
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudyIFR
Post #2 shows a nice video of Tinamou and other models.
I saw that video yesterday. That's what reminded me about this thread.

Quote:
Sometimes I think you'll do things and you think it really helped her fly and then after awhile you go back to the original and find they actually hindered things
Yeah, like training wheels. You get some experience in safe mode then take them off and see what happens. Good luck and remember one experiment at a time

--Norm
Aug 18, 2008, 08:51 AM
Red Merle ALES VI
Well after about six weeks I took Tinamou out again. It was an excellent weather day in Montana, upper 80's, and no wind, none just dead calm hot! I went around noon so the thermals should have been popping and oh were they!

First three flights I flew her with no changes and the third flight I got about eight minutes. I did a little camber changing to see if she'd climb better in lift but I couldn't tell any appreciable difference.

Then I removed the fences for the next three flights. I had another very nice flight, about 10 minutes and I couldn't tell any difference in thermaling with or without the fences and the same as with trying some camber.

However, between the flights with and without fences I did notice that the stall took longer to recover from without the fences, probably no more than 1/2 turn difference but I do believe there was a difference. Entry to the stall I don't think was any different though.

I tried entering and exiting lift to see if I could detect it and you certainly can. I think you see a yawing change more than a pitch change, of course you can see the roll. The lack of seeing a pitch change is probably due to the lack of tail moment. I also believe it takes just a little more finese' on the flight controls and patience as you can't haul her around tightly in a turn, just be patient and she turns very nicely, but it's a large diameter circle. This keeps you from doing the stall spin with no warning!

I think that's about it, maybe next time I'll try moving the balance point slightly aft, I think I'm about 8 or 9% right now, I would like to try 5-6%.

Curtis
Aug 23, 2008, 10:53 AM
Red Merle ALES VI
Tinamou Video Compilation.

Tinamou Compilation (1 min 45 sec)

Curtis
Montana