Tinamou - Page 2 - RC Groups
Mar 06, 2008, 02:21 PM
he's the link to the x wing Herk

http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=261

I must have got a bum steer on the origin of that, but yes I'm sure I read about the UAV thing on Bsquared site
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2008, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS
He is quite an accomplished artist
sounds realy interesting, shame the info isn't more widely
available
Mar 06, 2008, 05:01 PM
We talked with Gene some years ago while he was looking for copies of Icarosaur plans. He had sold a number of copies, but was unable to track down anyone else, and his own plan set was lost in a divorce.. Indeed, he did sell the rights to a UAV firm, with the understanding he would no longer make plans or airframes available. We did a brief write-up on the Icarosuar in OTW #25 - the PDF is available at <http://www.glide.net.au/on-the-wing1/25MiscTopics.pdf>.
Mar 06, 2008, 07:08 PM
Herk
Of course we might add that Miniphase is more than a bit of an accomplished artist himself.
Mar 07, 2008, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS
Of course we might add that Miniphase is more than a bit of an accomplished artist himself.
I've somehow managed to make a reasonable living from
drawing/design- but how on earth did you know that?
Mar 07, 2008, 10:15 AM
Herk
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniphase
I've somehow managed to make a reasonable living from
drawing/design- but how on earth did you know that?
Chris -- I'm not sure. Maybe Sean Walbank's White Sheet, or Dave Jones rambling - or perhaps personal communications in years gone by. Sailplanes are art too - consider your "balsa sculpture" designs.
Mar 07, 2008, 10:23 AM
Red Merle ALES VI
I viewed the X-wing and was surprised, for some reason, to see it DS'ing. Must be one tough bird. It had an interesting buzz during some high speed, guess that's drag from the fuse interesection or the tiplets. I'd seen this wing before but the price kept me away and good thing I guess, as I thought it was a thermal model for some reason.

Curtis
Montana
Mar 19, 2008, 10:42 AM
Herk
I think maybe there is actually a relationship between my hand-launch thermal wing and the X-wing design. I had a discussion many years ago with a person whose name I'm now unable to remember. He said that he felt that I'd used too much twist. In the ensuing dialog, I told him that the small twist he suggested would be great for a slope ship, but not enough for my design objective - thermalling at slow speed. To make a point, he later sent me a set of beautifully made sheeted foam cores for a wing with his concept. It used the same thinned airfoils as mine, but had less than half of the geometric twist. It sure does look like the X-wing - which by the video on their website is an excellent sloper.

I have to drive about four hours to get to a really good slope site, so never did anything with the cores until recently. My plan now is to play with a mix of flaperons and elevons to see what the concept of an adjustable trailing edge will do for a wing. Since this wing is pretty small, I'll only use two surfaces on each panel - inboard flaperons and outboard elevons. Otherwise it'll look a lot like my little picture to the left.
Mar 19, 2008, 11:13 AM
Red Merle ALES VI
Herk

This will be interesting to watch. I assume you're planning on reflexing the outer elevons and cambering the inner ones to obtain the twist you need for the type of flying you're looking for? How are you launching, via a small hi-start?

For some reason your Avatar isn't showing up, hmmm?

Keep us posted.
Curtis
Mar 19, 2008, 11:56 AM
Red Merle ALES VI

Paint Scheme

Here's my projected paint sheme, well actually it's going to be Monokote.

Do you think I'll be able to differentiate the top from the bottom?

The tiplets will be blue on one side and red on the other but I'm not sure which side will face in or out.

Thoughts?

Curtis
Montana
Mar 19, 2008, 12:05 PM
Red Merle ALES VI
Here's one outer tip panel ready to sheet. I won't do any sheeting till the entire wing is in this state of readiness.

The black stripe is .007 CF which adds a ton of bending strength, it's on top and bottom. The red is a hollow tube for the servo wire. I think I'll have the servo pushrods extend from the bottom of the wing as to keep the nice paint pattern on top intact. I added 1/8" light balsa to the tips and fiberglassed them on. This will make a nice sandwich in between the 1/16" balsa sheeting. I'll also be adding 0.2 ounce CF Tissue in between the foam core and balsa sheeting for torsional strength.

Curtis
Montana
Mar 19, 2008, 01:55 PM
Will work for foam
Cloudy - not sure what type of pushrod/control horn setup you are going with, but you may want to keep the pushrods extend from the top of the wing to minimize their flexing. during normal flight, the elevons are always under downward pressure. a top mounted control system would always be in tension (especially when pulling up elevon) rather than compression. any flex in the control system would only show when doing outside loops or fast rolls. just my $0.02.

Beautiful build by the way. Herk's HLG wing and write-up was what got me into designing my own wings.
Mar 19, 2008, 02:19 PM
Red Merle ALES VI
Wingnutt,

Thanks and I'll think about it. However, my design considerations are for soaring and not loops, rolls or speed.

Curtis
Montana
Mar 20, 2008, 08:21 AM
Herk
Curtis -- I don't seen any Avatar for your posts either. Mine shows up fine on my displays - as does that of most of the others.

I'm not sure what combinations I'll use for the elevon - flaperon mixing. There is info on how the Hortens did it in the Horten Sellinger book. I'll just play with them and see what I get.

For these modes I use a very light weight short hi-start. I think this model will be less than ten ounces ready to fly.
Mar 24, 2008, 06:01 PM
Red Merle ALES VI
Here's the bottom of the right wing with the tow hook mount block installed. It's four layers of 1/8" plywood with about 1/8" sanded off the aft 1/4 of the block to fit in the wing. This is mounted 5.5" out from the centerline and I'll be using a bridle for launch off a hi-start. The block is 3" long as I only have a calclulated balance location and that I'm sure will change during flight testing. I've mounted the block from about -5% to +15% static margin.

Notice the addition of CF where the two foam panels join? Well I forgot to joing the panels when I initially added the CF so all the strength was gone at the splice, so that's why the additional CF.

Hopefully my tired old brain will remember on the other wing half and not have to do this again!

Curtis
Montana