Mar 18, 2001, 04:01 PM
Thread OP
Lately thats all ive been doing,blue for the fuse,white for wings,balsa tail.I find a 3-view of the plane i want to do,have it enlarged,i use Jim Ryans formula.3m it to some poster board,and then use that to hot wire foam and sand away.Door skins for wing templates,been using a thinned clark y.Have not made one of my own designs yet.Seems like everything has been pretty much covered by someone else.Although i will soon start glide testing my THUD prototype. Mike
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2001, 04:48 PM
Unfortunetly for me, foam is non-existant in this area of the world. Seriously - all I can find is 3/4" white foam. I've asked at several different home improvement wharehouse type stores and the typical response I get is "Huh?".

I did find a new store that can order the blue in 2" - but I don't need a truckload.

Steve
Mar 18, 2001, 05:10 PM
i have succesfuly built two planes out of pink and blue foam. one was a corsar/sport plane and the other(my favorite)was an f-15. they both flew like trainers.
Mar 18, 2001, 05:47 PM
kit basher,
Don't short change yourself. I count "designed" as even using someone else's balsa design or 3-view design and making a foam plane from it. I guess I should really call that a "translated" or "interpreted" foam plane. Oh well. It is close enough to "designed" for me. Since there are special skills involved in transforming a balsa or 3-view drawing into a flyable foam plane, those will count too.

Steve,
My source for wings also sold me 2x3x30" blocks for $1.50. I have been using those for fuses. So far, they work well. My foam plane that I designed and currently building uses the 2x3x30” block for its fuse. After I cut it down to shape, it is 28” long. The fuse, tail, wing, and canopy weigh 3.9oz right now. After I cover and paint it, I expect it to weigh ~6oz. With gear, I should come in around ~18oz. For a bigger fuse, I was thinking of gluing two 2x3x30 blocks together to get a 4x3x30 block. This would be a nice size for a t450-sized plane.

Anyone got pics? I'll show you mine if you show me yours. BTW, keep this legal. I am talking about planes here.

Dave
Mar 18, 2001, 08:01 PM
Thread OP
Has anybody used these guys for epp?Or maybe their wing blanks? http://members.aol.com/Rpvi/EPP.html

[This message has been edited by kit basher (edited 03-18-2001).]
Mar 18, 2001, 09:09 PM
RPV builder & operator
Love the stuff. Cheap and builds quickly. There's also a bunch of postings here on finishing it with silkspan and water based polyurethane.

Bought my first foam kit recently, and after I opened the box thought to myself: I could have done this from scratch probably just as well.

My planes at http://www.geocities.com/pfaudette/eplane/
Mar 18, 2001, 09:33 PM
Giddy up!
Dave,
I think you know about my Bearcat. This was made completely of foam (coroplast doublers & tail feathers). I shaped it from two 2" chunks of pink foam. The outlines were from Jim Ryan's plans (although I built it to take the training abuse for the real Ryan bird that I have). I plan on building other planes the same way. Long live foam.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...562&p=44125846
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...562&p=44125841
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...562&p=43463017
Mar 18, 2001, 09:35 PM
I am doing a Staudacher out of epp. 42 in. wing span about 350 sq in. Band sawed the fuse and stole the wing off an Bowman,s Hobbies sloper. With all the pieces piled on the scale it looks like 38 40 ounces or am I dreaming. Motor is Kontronick bl-400 with Astro super box. That's with 12 1250 nicads.I think covering will be .5 glass cloth with latex sanding sealer and latex paint. A friend just covered a foam wing this way and it looks real nice.I'll send pictures when my daughter brings the camera back. I hope it works as good as it sounds right now.

garyg

Mar 19, 2001, 01:45 AM

How many people foam bash?

Who out here has built or contemplated building their designs primarily of foam? I have a couple of projects in the works and I just wanted to know if I had company. I know that flailing and Steve Neill have scratch built some very nice planes. What has everyone else been doing?
Mar 19, 2001, 06:03 AM
How do you get the designs for your planes? plans? out of the blue, or free fantasy? I'm about to make my own foam saw, and I really like some templates/plans.
Mar 19, 2001, 09:14 AM
RPV builder & operator
For foam fuses, 3-view drawings can be used, scaled to the right size, followed by lots of carving and sanding.

For foam wigns, the easiest way is to use plans with rib templates.

An helpful tool for scratch builders is a template generator, where you select all the parameters yourself. You can also get profile coordinates from various web sites.

Here's a site with some good references: http://www.rcsail.com/otherlinks.htm
Mar 19, 2001, 11:18 AM
I cheat. I bought some wings from Flying Foam. Bob did an excellent job on my wings. I could cut some myself, but I know that they would definitely not come out as good as he can cut them.
http://www.flyingfoam.com/

Next, I picked an idea of a plane from my mind that I liked and I drew a few sketches. After I had the basics down, I found a plane in Real Flight that had a similar profile and design in Real Flight. I changed the Real Flight plane’s wing to match my wings and then I adjusted the incidence and such until it flew correctly. For my first plane, the closest Real Flight match had a symmetrical airfoil and a zero incidence. After I changed the wing to a Clark Y, all I had to do was give the wing two degrees of incidence and it flew great. I checked the vital dimensions of my Real Flight plane and I scaled them down for my plane. The dimensions that I had guesstimated for my creation were darn close to the Real Flight plane. I was not modeling the Real Flight plane, but I was looking to make sure that my percentages were correct since the planes were so similar in their basic shapes. What percentage is the fuselage’s length as compared to the length of the main wing? If the motor is at the dead center of the axis of the fuse, the wing and tail are located at what percentage away from the center axis of the fuse? What is the percentage of distance from the front of the fuse to LE when compared to the total length of the fuselage? The CG is located where? I also checked the relative scale and area of the tail to the wing. When I settle on a shape, I cut the tail from balsa.

I used Real Flight as my three-point view. As a bonus, I could try different things with my setup, such as adding washout to the wings and see how that flew. For example, my plane was a 6” to 4” tapered Clark Y wing. When I tapered the Real Flight plane’s wing to match my wing, there was a tendency to have a more abrupt tip stall. When I added in three degrees of washout to the wing that my wing has, this tendency was greatly reduced just as it should in a real model. I know Real Flight does not have a perfect flight model, but it works well for what I used it for and it should give me an approximation of what I could expect from my plane. If you are building a plane that is in Real Flight, you can turn the model around on the runway or fly it around in a pattern, zoom in, and compare it to your creation. This may not sound very scientific, but so far, it seems to work ok.

If this does not work for you, there is always one of the modeling CAD programs that provide detail three-view drawings.

Dave
Mar 19, 2001, 02:12 PM
BTW,

Here's a preview pic of my plane. I got it shaped and all of the pockets for the gear carved out. I still need to cut out the ailerons, install the gear, hinge the elevator and ailerons, and coat and paint it. I've also decided to put a CF strip on the top and bottom of the main wing. I thought about capping the wing with a LE balsa strip the way Dave Collins did with his Viking design, but I still haven't decided for sure. It would make the LE a little less susceptible to dings and it would definitely make the wing much stronger, but I've had a hard time finding LE balsa at the LHS. I could carve my own, but I'm on a lazy streak right now.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dave_lill...l=fld3&.src=ph

I'm going to use a 5.5x4.5 prop with a 30mm spinner, a s400 6v, and an 8x600 pack. My whole design is based around that system since it is cheap and easy to setup. I'm sure there are much faster combos out there that would work well too. I just wanted to keep the costs down. The s400 6v system has worked well with so many planes of this size, it just seemed like a good place to start.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dave_lilley (edited 03-24-2001).]
Mar 19, 2001, 04:52 PM
RPV builder & operator
Looks good Dave. Are you planning to put a landing gear or skid on that thing, or just land on the wing?

Another tool for designing and doing 3-D views is rccad: http://www.rccad.com/
Mar 19, 2001, 05:29 PM
Giddy up!
Dave,
Is it just my computer or can you not reach the pic on your link? I had the same problem when posting pics on Yahoo/Geocities a couple of weeks ago. The site said something about too much traffic. I've since moved to Photopoint.

Quick Reply