This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 24, 2008, 08:10 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Project Zero 2.0 nearly complete!

Tell you what: Had I known this was going to be so relatively simple, I probably wouldn't have bothered all of you with progress reports.

I'm pleased to say that I'm down to the nitty-gritty. Here's what's been done since my last update:

*Crud emptied frrom the inside of the wing.

*Holes in the wing patched and painted. Not quite true olive drab as it turns out (too much green in the original paint), but I'll try and match it later.

*New gears in the stripped Hitec HS-81 aileron servo.

*Ailerons realigned.

*Forward wing locator tab epoxied in place. Owner of the LHS suggested that I reattach rather than replace the tab since the epoxy would be stronger than the surrounding wood. He was right.

*Engine cleaned out as a precaution since there was sand stuck in the carb's intake. Off came the carb, in went some nitro engine spray. All was nice and clean. Reset the throttle cable as well.

*Original covering on the underside of the fuselage at the firewall epoxied in place over the trim tape I'd used to replace it in the first place. Went back on nice.

*Replaced 3x25 wing hold-down bolts (one was bent in the crash) with beefier 6/32x1 socket head bolts and #6 blind nuts. The blind nuts were a perfect fit, but I'll have to buy a 5/64 socket driver. HIGHLY recommended upgrade.

*The cowl is filled, sanded and ready for a coat of dope.

All that's left is to dope the cowl, reinstall the fuel tank, test the engine, resolder the antenna lead on the receiver (it snapped in two a couple of inches up from the receiver case) and test fly the little monster. Should be soon.

Pix on the way!

UPDATE: The fuel tank's in and the new prop is going on in a moment so that I can check the engine. Found an unforseen but minor problem: The power switch for the receiver is kaput. If I hook the battery directly to the receiver, all is well. Going through the switch gets me zilch.
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Feb 24, 2008 at 11:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply