This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 19, 2018, 08:41 PM
check for reversed controls
I just got the Revolution for carrying around for small place impromptu flights.but reading here I wish I had gotten the Timber. Anyway any tips on making me better at rationalizing my poor choice . Lol
One thing disappointing about the Rev. Is it won't hover due to prop tork. How can you call that a 3 D plane
It is a good looker tho. And because the top wing had to be reglued on ,the hobby store gave me 10$ off
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2018, 08:43 PM
check for reversed controls
I'm definitely gonna check out the Timber I
Mar 22, 2018, 07:03 PM
FPV Lawnmower
i own both P3 Rev and Timber... and a bunch more UMX

The P3 is a fast flying fast rolling bi plane - that looks sooo cool, not my favourite flier tho

The timber can do aerobatics as stated - but with slats installed it doesnt do aerobaticas as well - if you get this plane it definitel excels at STOL which is what it is designed for

my all time favourite UMX hands down is still the Pitts.... followed by the J3 cub for more relaxed aerobatics
Mar 27, 2018, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
The UMX 182 and AC have lots of power. However - if you're really cramped for space & want a serious hot-rod that can takeoff & land in ~3 feet, go for the absolutely outstanding UMX Timber. It's a purpose-built SuperSTOL plane that can also do pretty-much any aerobatic maneuver in the book - including some mild 3D. It even has enough thrust to effortlessly climb straight up out of a hover. And with the LE slats installed, it can fly slower than walking speed with the flaps extended. It's an impeccable aircraft!

Joel
As I understand it, you can't remove the slats once they are installed, right? If so, I'm curious what people recommend with them. I hope to someday get a Timber and before making a permanent decision on that I'd definitely want some input!
Apr 03, 2018, 03:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgebraicMirror
As I understand it, you can't remove the slats once they are installed, right? If so, I'm curious what people recommend with them. I hope to someday get a Timber and before making a permanent decision on that I'd definitely want some input!
Slats can install removable if you use double-sided tape.
And a permanent installation is also no problem because there is no limitations in aerobatics with slats. You can also do anything with slats.
Apr 04, 2018, 03:41 PM
If anyone is on the fence, the UMX Tundra from Horizon is a winner. A little delicate in construction, but flies like a much bigger plane and will takeoff and land from just about anywhere.

If you want something to fly in tiny places, the UMX T28S is tuff to beat as well. SAFE Mode and AS3X make flying these planes weighing an ounce or two possible in winds a whole lot more than you would think.
Apr 04, 2018, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakennin
So for those that have the UMX Pitts and the UMX Timber what is your favorite?
Can't imagine anything flying better than the Timber.
Oct 22, 2018, 10:52 AM
Between the Blade Torrent 110 and the Beta75X what would be the better choice? Looking for something a bit more powerful than my Tiny Whoop for flying outdoors. Would either of these have a longer range/better camera or are they similar?
Oct 24, 2018, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41
I just got the Revolution for carrying around for small place impromptu flights.but reading here I wish I had gotten the Timber. Anyway any tips on making me better at rationalizing my poor choice . Lol
One thing disappointing about the Rev. Is it won't hover due to prop tork. How can you call that a 3 D plane
It is a good looker tho. And because the top wing had to be reglued on ,the hobby store gave me 10$ off
Easy to fly and Hover...HA....
R 3 Flying Really Low with Hover catch (1 min 47 sec)
May 22, 2019, 02:24 PM
For the novice --3rd plane, after Timber UMX and Delta Ray One.....................

What is the major difference between the 1) Gee Bee UMX R2 with SAFE and 2) Pitts S-1S 850mm with SAFE Select?
May 22, 2019, 03:27 PM
I'd rather be flying!
They are completely different classes of aircraft - both in size & aerobatic capability.

The UMX Gee Bee is a small true-scale-outline model of the famous Reno racer. It uses the little 2s 200-500mAh UMX packs & weighs a bit less than 0.25 pounds all-up. Does basic aerobatics, but it's not a pattern or 3D plane. It's suitable for flying from a softball/baseball infield or a decent-size parking-lot. It's fairly fast for a UMX/backyard category plane & it needs a hard-surface or packed sand runway, so it's not well-suited for true backyard flying.

The 850mm Pitts is a much, much larger true-scale model of the famous unlimited aerobatic plane. It uses 3s-4s 1800-2200mAh packs & weighs nearly 3 pounds all-up. Does unlimited aerobatics on 3s & has unlimited vertical performance. Has crazy ballistic performance on 4s. It's essentially a club-field-size plane due to its weight & speed. Has relatively small, scale-size wheels, so it needs a hard-surface runway for comfortable landings without a tendency to nose-over.

I wouldn't consider either one to be a great choice for a 3rd plane - unless you have have mastered the Timber in AS3X-only mode & are comfortable with doing any aerobatic maneuvers it can do (such as loops, rolls, inverted flight, KE flight, split-S & Immelmann turns, spins, snaps), have mastered using the rudder to do coordinated turns, and are able to do nice 3-point landings.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jun 14, 2019, 08:56 AM
First plane: XK A800
Second plane: XK X520

Most critical step for new fliers: finding about 2 acres of open field with no trees or any other obstructions.
Jun 29, 2019, 08:03 PM

getting back in the game..

hi guys! been flying my umx sbach lately after a long hiatus and loving it. but part of the love is wanting another plane of course.

my friend just got an umx Timber and i flew that for a few minutes and i thought it was excellent., kinda thinking i should get one.
it seems like the timber is pretty much universally liked and for good reason. (i'd definitely be wanting to try flying it with floats)

but

other part of me wants a bi-plane. Pitts or Waco. (have always wanted the pitts and the waco looks awesome to my eye)

(side note: i'm also in the progress of getting my 41" 3dhs buckhuck back up and running, i figure that is a bit like the sbach in a much bigger form and also know that i dont fly 3d like a pro at all, just a sport flyer primarily )

what say you? and no i'm not buying both! not right away anyway
Jun 29, 2019, 08:35 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Welcome back to the hobby!

Trying to compare the UMX Timber & UMX Pitts is sorta like trying to compare corn to kumquats. They're so far apart.

That said - if you're not going to eventually get both (although you really, really should, 'cause they're two of the very best UMX planes available), then I suggest going with the UMX Timber because it's a SuperSTOL bush-plane that can also do most aerobatic maneuvers & handles most grass runways just fine. In contrast - the UMX Pitts is a true-scale pattern aerobatic plane & it needs a hard-surface runway for ROG takeoffs & conventional landings.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Jun 30, 2019, 09:34 PM
just like the logging guy says......

https://media1.tenor.com/images/3d5d...itemid=5003314
Last edited by RickBee; Jun 30, 2019 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply