This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 14, 2017, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
Brazzo,

First of all, congratulations and good job for sticking with it... Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a full blown addict, ooppsss meant Hobbyist.
Yeah, thank you!!
But I'm an addict/hobbyist since 20y or so, just stopped flying due to job, family, kid etc.
Now seems like mid life crisis or so
Na, joking, I want to spend more time out with the kid, so hey, lets go to nature and continue where I've left 20y ago.
That time I've spent more time on buliding than flying. Graupner E-Uhu and Taxi were my first planes. Balsa, foil, hot iron etc.
Crashed them a lot, and probably gave that hobby up too early.

Now within a short time and great models I've learned a lot, so I'm ready for the next step - easy sports flying.
I think that I shall really go for the Pitts, as this is mentioned to be one of the best Umx so far, from most people.

Happy weekend!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2017, 09:46 PM
better is enemy of good enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazzo

I think that I shall really go for the Pitts, as this is mentioned to be one of the best Umx so far, from most people.

Happy weekend!
Good call on the Pitts.
You will not be disappointed!

rick p
Feb 01, 2017, 02:36 PM
Had my pitts out for some 12 mph wind fun today, what sa blast.
Feb 04, 2017, 04:40 AM
Ordered the Pitts now, and a used Parkzone Wildcat
Now the snow has to disappear..
Feb 10, 2017, 06:56 PM
Yvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazzo
Ordered the Pitts now, and a used Parkzone Wildcat
Now the snow has to disappear..
This is my favorite of the UMX. They fly well, acrobatic and hard..
I love him so much, that I have a other Pitts in his box.
I think the Waco will be as good.
Yvan
Feb 17, 2017, 09:55 AM
Wait .... what ?
Flying original UMX Beast and Sbach without AS3X is a lot of fun but they really keep your thumbs working. The Beast I fly when I want to do crazy flying up close and the Sbach is more like a mini pattern plane for me. The Sbach at speed will eat a lot of airspace quick but is so precise. I just started flying the UMX Pitts and it really is an awesome little plane that doesn't know it's a little plane. Flies in wind really well and just flys "big". Slow flight is awesome and at speed with max throws can get pretty crazy. Super fun airplane to just take to the park and fly slow passes then go to max throttle and go straight up and throw it into some evil spins. If u want a super cool UMX plane I really can't recommend a better plane this size than he Pitts.

Nick
Feb 25, 2017, 04:59 PM
I'm new to the hobby with less than 20 flights. Currently flying a Horizon Hobby Champ S+. Fun little plane that is teaching me the basics of orientation and patterns. The different flight modes have allowed me to experiment with loops and rolls, then I can switch back to beginner mode to help recover if I lose it. I'm becoming pretty good with touch and gos as well.

The only problem with this is I can't fly with more than five MPH winds. That said, I'm already scoping out my next plane with a little more power and weight.

Parkzone Sport Cub S2
or
Eflite Apprentice S 15e

The place I'm looking to fly has a grass runway so larger wheels of the Cub should make things easier.

Any thoughts?
Feb 27, 2017, 11:07 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffburns
I'm new to the hobby with less than 20 flights. Currently flying a Horizon Hobby Champ S+. Fun little plane that is teaching me the basics of orientation and patterns. The different flight modes have allowed me to experiment with loops and rolls, then I can switch back to beginner mode to help recover if I lose it. I'm becoming pretty good with touch and gos as well.

The only problem with this is I can't fly with more than five MPH winds. That said, I'm already scoping out my next plane with a little more power and weight.

Parkzone Sport Cub S2
or
Eflite Apprentice S 15e

The place I'm looking to fly has a grass runway so larger wheels of the Cub should make things easier.

Any thoughts?
Jeff,

Both of those are good planes, I own the Sport Cub and our RC Club uses an Apprentice for training purposes...

The Apprentice has the AS3X/SAFE system with similar features to the Champ S... The Sport Cub (if purchased as BNF) only has the AS3X i.e. No SAFE

In my opinion the Sport Cub is more aerobatic than the Apprentice and has the ability to be slightly modified, should you choose that route, to have even more performance.

The Apprentice on the other hand is a little more forgiving in it's flight characteristics.

One thing to keep in mind is that both of these planes require much more space to fly in than the Champ does.

As far as a learning curve goes, I would say that the Apprentice has the edge for being the "easier" of the two planes to fly, while the Sport Cub would allow you to progress further....

BTW I taught myself the basics with the original Champ about 4 years ago, and still have one that gets flown on occasion...

Mark R.

old_coastie
Latest blog entry: bringbacktheumxjug
Feb 27, 2017, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
Jeff,

Both of those are good planes, I own the Sport Cub and our RC Club uses an Apprentice for training purposes...

The Apprentice has the AS3X/SAFE system with similar features to the Champ S... The Sport Cub (if purchased as BNF) only has the AS3X i.e. No SAFE

In my opinion the Sport Cub is more aerobatic than the Apprentice and has the ability to be slightly modified, should you choose that route, to have even more performance.

The Apprentice on the other hand is a little more forgiving in it's flight characteristics.

One thing to keep in mind is that both of these planes require much more space to fly in than the Champ does.

As far as a learning curve goes, I would say that the Apprentice has the edge for being the "easier" of the two planes to fly, while the Sport Cub would allow you to progress further....

BTW I taught myself the basics with the original Champ about 4 years ago, and still have one that gets flown on occasion...

Mark R.

old_coastie
Thanks for the input.
The SAFE system is not a big selling point for me. The Champ S+ has it , but it never worked...resulting in a few full-throttle fly-aways. Horizon Hobby replaced the plane and it happened again on the new one. Once I turned off the GPS (SAFE features) I've had good flights ever since. That said, if the Apprentice is more stable for a beginner, then that's probably what I need.
Last edited by jeffburns; Feb 27, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Mar 05, 2017, 08:33 PM
I just want to go fly!
The pitts is fun and loved my beast as well but my first ever RC was the 1s t-28. Great little non gyro plane.
Mar 06, 2017, 06:15 AM
"The bug has bit"
I Jus hit the buy button on a J3 cub
Mar 06, 2017, 07:30 AM
I just want to go fly!
Don't overlook the basics. Non gyro micros are really fun. Upgraded canopy, motor and prop. Graphics. She's s beater but was my first ever RC plane so gotta hold on to her. Good luck
Mar 06, 2017, 08:07 AM
Lynx Heli Team Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco_Pet
I Jus hit the buy button on a J3 cub
Which brand and size? Thinking of doing the same with either the Phoenix or Hangar9 model.
Mar 08, 2017, 07:30 AM
Lynx Heli Team Pilot
Just pulled the trigger on the hangar9 version......
Mar 10, 2017, 11:51 AM
FPV Lawnmower
man - that new Waco.... great step up from any 1s plane - flies sooooo slow

Quick Reply