This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 16, 2014, 01:23 AM
I'm looking for something small, cheap, and high-performance.. I've "mastered" the Champ and Delta Ray, and flown quite a bit on a sim.. (I know I know, not the real thing..), and now I want some more speed and climbing ability. I'm looking at the Radjet 800 or maybe a Funfigther from HK. The Mini Radjet isn't in stock.. Anyway, any comments on how the Radjet 800 would compare to a Funfighter? I don't need 100+mph on 4s or whatever, but I would like a sizeable performance increase over the Delta Ray. I'd also like it to be relatively easy to set up. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 18, 2014, 04:34 AM
I am looking for a plane that will fly in a really small space of about 60m x 30m or 65yd x 32yd.

The space is sourrounded by trees. Ony yesterday I got a HK Mini Swift for this purpose, but I found it by far not agile enough to avoid the trees (it needs a lot of space for turns or it will stall) and it needs to be flown relatively fast.

So what I am looking for is a plane that can

1) go relatively slow without stalling
2) take a bit of wind
3) have very small space requirement and be agile enough

Also I can only handstart it because the grass is pretty high here, which means for a landing I'd have to be able to catch it or it needs to be durable enough to be dumped into the grass at very slow speed.

Right now im thinking something along the lines of UMX Gee Bee or Yak. Especially the Gee Bee has alot of appeal to me. Any ideas on this?
Oct 18, 2014, 01:28 PM
Looking for a next plane, heli or drone...I have now "mastered" the Champ, Blade mSR, Blade 120, Blade 130x, UMX Carbon Cub, UMX Yak 54. What would you suggest to me? I am not sure whether I want to go big, fast, FPV or just try out a quad drone?
Oct 18, 2014, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzi
I am looking for a plane that will fly in a really small space of about 60m x 30m or 65yd x 32yd.

The space is sourrounded by trees. Ony yesterday I got a HK Mini Swift for this purpose, but I found it by far not agile enough to avoid the trees (it needs a lot of space for turns or it will stall) and it needs to be flown relatively fast.

2) take a bit of wind

Also I can only handstart it because the grass is pretty high here, which means for a landing I'd have to be able to catch it or it needs to be durable enough to be dumped into the grass at very slow speed.

Right now im thinking something along the lines of UMX Gee Bee or Yak. Especially the Gee Bee has alot of appeal to me. Any ideas on this?
Haven't seen the HK Mini Swift fly but it looks pretty fast for small field. I have a UMX YAK and it does well in very small space and once you learn how to harrier in for a landing will do great on grass. The landing gear is not attached so you can remove it and belly land no problem. Lots of video of guys flying Yak on the umx Yak thread. It's reasonable tough also.
If you are out in the light breeze it's nice to have the UMX planes with AS3X. Makes a big difference.
I haven't heard of too many guys very happy with their GeeBees. There were some problems also that I can't really remember.
My favorite UMX now is the UMX Pitts. Really great flyer in small space except for the part about being a bit more difficult to fix. Not sure about your experience level from your post. If you are still crashing I'd say get the Yak but that Pitts looks like a lot of fun if you can keep it in the air.
Mike
Oct 18, 2014, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmmattil
Looking for a next plane, heli or drone...I have now "mastered" the Champ, Blade mSR, Blade 120, Blade 130x, UMX Carbon Cub, UMX Yak 54. What would you suggest to me? I am not sure whether I want to go big, fast, FPV or just try out a quad drone?
Is there a club field nearby with a landing strip? I started out with mini helis, went bigger, learned fixed wing on the Champ. Own a Carbon Cub and UMX Yak. I really enjoyed going to larger planes. Lot more fun landing and taking off. More power and speed is fun for me also. I went from small planes to a 100 cm. bi-plane the PT-17 Stearman. Had it for months now and never tire of it though I have 5 other larger planes now. Best plane I could hope to own. Get compliments every time out. Absolutely solid and maintenance free, dependable. BTW if the US Army decals don't look too great in Finland you can leave them off.
Mike
Oct 18, 2014, 06:49 PM
10 18 2014 CYLIGHT IN LIGHT WIND (4 min 12 sec)
Oct 19, 2014, 11:04 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:

2) take a bit of wind
For tight turn-arounds at slow speeds (I sometimes fly in an area smaller than yours), I tend to use the following:
1. flat/harrier turns (use ailerons to keep wings level, turn with rudder)
2. split-S
3. with lots of thrust/weight, one can also do Immelmans

I also like small quads (which are gyro-stabilized) in such small places.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM
Extremely Twisted
Does anyone have experience with these 22" depron airframes? I'm looking for a good 3D trainer that I can use UMX electronics in.

http://www.bowker-models.com/22-yak-54/

http://www.bowker-models.com/22-extra-330-sc/

I can't decide between the two.
Last edited by Eagle2Nitro; Oct 21, 2014 at 08:44 AM.
Oct 21, 2014, 08:44 AM
Extremely Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro
Does anyone have experience with these 22" depron airframes? I'm looking for a good 3D trainer that I can use UMX electronics in.

http://www.bowker-models.com/22-yak-54/

http://www.bowker-models.com/22-extra-330-sc/

I can't decide between the two.

Anybody?
Oct 31, 2014, 01:07 PM
Another debate on choice of UMX that can handle strong winds:

- UMX Beast 3D AS3x
- UMX Pitts 1s As3x
- UMX Habu 180 As3x
- UMX Sbach 342 As3x
- UMX Yak 54 180 As3x

Is Beast stil the Wind King? Who is second best? Not crazy about having to fix the body of the Beast so most likey I will pass on Beast.

I can only buy one. Already got UMX Radian and I was able to fly in 15 mph winds but is looking for 2s with Aileons.
Oct 31, 2014, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8
Another debate on choice of UMX that can handle strong winds:

- UMX Beast 3D AS3x
- UMX Pitts 1s As3x
- UMX Habu 180 As3x
- UMX Sbach 342 As3x
- UMX Yak 54 180 As3x

Is Beast stil the Wind King? Who is second best? Not crazy about having to fix the body of the Beast so most likey I will pass on Beast.

I can only buy one. Already got UMX Radian and I was able to fly in 15 mph winds but is looking for 2s with Aileons.
Yep The Beast is a beast to repair. The Yak is tougher. The Sbach a bit weak in the nose. Nothing on your list handles wind like the Beast. The Pitts is so cool and I imagine just as good in the wind because of the 3000kV motor. Sbach probably handles wind secondary to the Beast. Not sure about the Habu.
]Mike
Nov 06, 2014, 02:47 AM
Quote:

2) take a bit of wind

Have you considered the Sport Cub S? I can fly very slow, do extremely sharp turns and, when you fly in expert mode, do quite a bit of aerobatics.
Nov 06, 2014, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaul
Have you considered the Sport Cub S? I can fly very slow, do extremely sharp turns and, when you fly in expert mode, do quite a bit of aerobatics.
Looks like these are on sale right now also.
Mike
Nov 06, 2014, 11:52 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro
Anybody?
Just put together a WMPF Micro McFoamy X and flies really well... No experience with the ones you listed though...

Mark R.
Nov 23, 2014, 07:00 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher

Horizon UMX's

Hobbyzone Sport Cub S yes or no? E-flite UMX Carbon Cub or E-Flite UMX Pitts S1 for a beginner? or any other micros you would reccomend along with that for a beginner with a DX5e?

Quick Reply