Feb 23, 2008, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

X-24A lifting body profile build...

Well, not much of a build since I'm done, and was burning through the foam so quick I didn't take shots of the pieces,

I went for the X-24A, I've always liked that one, even though it isn't the one in the six million dollar man, it's close enough

It is literally four pieces, wing, Fuse, two wing tips, everything is so short there was not carbon needed anywhere, very simple. I used two strips of angle cut depron to reinforce the wing tips. It is scaled directly from the side and top views. Simply cut out pieces, angle sand the inboard wing tips, glue on the wing tips, reinforce, slide on the fuse, and glue. Cut and hinge the elevons, and install electronics, and balance.

First flight was a bit hairy since I couldn't find enough stick on weights to balance it where my glide tests indicated, was about 3/4" back, landed ok, and put the correct weight, and it flies like a champ, a little roll oscillation when the wind blows since the span is so short, and it doesn't like to stay upside down for long. Rolls are very very fast, I'm using elevons, and I was worried that since the inboard span of the wing is just 13" my small elevons wouldn't be enough, but they were plenty, loops need plenty of speed to complete or it will roll rightside up at the top. Power off glide is level, but at about a 20 degree decent rate, but pitch control is very effective right down to the flare. Didn't have any Steve Austin Landings

Now to paint it. Grayson motor powers it great. This is the first plane I needed to add nose weight to, 2.5 oz, with a 5 oz 3S in the nose, simply because the full profile wing has so much forward area, but even at 17oz rtf, it is still a very slow flier, and will mush around with the best of them.

If you get it extremely slow with power on and the nose up, it will torque roll very quickly but stops as soon as some airspeed is gained. Full nose up stalls flip forward or backwards past vertical, then recovers nose down, no problems.
Last edited by burkefj; Dec 14, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2008, 07:41 PM
EB-66C Team Member
Nice job WCDAF!( Stands for West Coast DAF ) A true building machine.

J
Latest blog entry: A2D Skyshark at 1/8th scale
Feb 23, 2008, 08:43 PM
Frank,Olivia

Well done how many aircraft is that?

John ,Midori van den Berg
Feb 23, 2008, 08:51 PM
Nice! Steve Austin would be proud.
Feb 23, 2008, 10:15 PM
Thread OP
Thanks.

That's sixteen of my own designs, I've now posted the plans for 10 of them, still waiting for the return of my Avro arrow, and BAC Lightning to scan those in. I haven't scanned the X-13 Vertijet yet, or Mig 21, don't know if anyone is interested in those or not.

Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken1
Frank,Olivia

Well done how many aircraft is that?

John ,Midori van den Berg
Feb 24, 2008, 12:18 AM
Classic jets rule
you are a sick puppy ....can you sneez on me so i can catch it too ...i was going to do one of the northrop liftung bodies HL 1o i think it what i had drawing of
Feb 25, 2008, 12:25 AM
Thread OP
Here are the pictures of the painted,decaled model, finished this morning before I left to run two rifle matches.

Frank
Feb 25, 2008, 12:26 AM
Thread OP
Yes, there were a lot of different versions, the HL10 looks the cleanest, but this one fit better with a profile low/mid mounted wing, the HL-10 I'd have to do a shoulder wing with a lot of lower body, but a 3D version would be great.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
you are a sick puppy ....can you sneez on me so i can catch it too ...i was going to do one of the northrop liftung bodies HL 1o i think it what i had drawing of
Feb 25, 2008, 12:49 AM
Thread OP

Video posted

Here's the video from today, it was really gusty, and you can see when it gets crosswind, the gusts hit the vertical tails and cause it to wobble a bit about the roll axis, and the really narrow span(14") probably doesn't damp things out much, nothing drastic, though.

Ok, the ending shows the influence of my 1970's tv upbringing

Frank

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...41&postcount=1
Feb 25, 2008, 03:22 AM
Well done olivia keeping the X24a in view
Frank a viggen would be nice

Saab juckie
John van den Berg melbourne Australia
Mar 11, 2009, 02:29 PM
Well - It's me again Frank .... and as the weather has been so bad here in the UK - I've been unable to maiden the X-1 or re-test the X-15

SO..... I've built the X-24A (again - directly from your plans)

I've attached a load of photos here to show

1. Basic building
2. Adding Decals and Panel Lines
3. the Small motor I have purchased here in the UK (specs like that of the Purple Peril
4. and two new items that arrived today from Hobby Lobby - Two PURPLE PERILS - so if the X-15 continues to have problems - I'm going to stick one of the PP's into it and see what happens -

I'll post again with Weight/CG.. Information etc.... later.

Martyn
Mar 11, 2009, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Cool, Martyn, you are really getting into these!

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binome
Well - It's me again Frank .... and as the weather has been so bad here in the UK - I've been unable to maiden the X-1 or re-test the X-15

SO..... I've built the X-24A (again - directly from your plans)

I've attached a load of photos here to show

1. Basic building
2. Adding Decals and Panel Lines
3. the Small motor I have purchased here in the UK (specs like that of the Purple Peril
4. and two new items that arrived today from Hobby Lobby - Two PURPLE PERILS - so if the X-15 continues to have problems - I'm going to stick one of the PP's into it and see what happens -

I'll post again with Weight/CG.. Information etc.... later.

Martyn
Mar 13, 2009, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
Cool, Martyn, you are really getting into these!

Frank
OK Frank - here is what I have -

Total weight 17oz

Of which the (in order to get C/G as located in Plans) 14.9 /15" back from tip of nose

battery 2100Mah 3s - 5.8oz right on the nose
Lead Weight - 1.5oz
Total = 7.3 oz

So airframe and electronics - 9.7oz

I will do a thrust test later on today - and see if we have a change in weather here - I now have the X-1 , the X24A, to Maiden and the X-15 to test again. - this time i will take spare props, motors, and Epoxy

Regards

Martyn
Mar 13, 2009, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
Deleted.
Last edited by burkefj; Feb 27, 2015 at 08:01 PM.
Mar 13, 2009, 04:11 PM
Back to Boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binome
OK Frank - here is what I have -

Total weight 17oz

Of which the (in order to get C/G as located in Plans) 14.9 /15" back from tip of nose

battery 2100Mah 3s - 5.8oz right on the nose
Lead Weight - 1.5oz
Total = 7.3 oz

So airframe and electronics - 9.7oz

I will do a thrust test later on today - and see if we have a change in weather here - I now have the X-1 , the X24A, to Maiden and the X-15 to test again. - this time i will take spare props, motors, and Epoxy

Regards

Martyn
First of all, it looks GREAT Martin. Looking forward to a flight review.

Secondly, I have been battling weight on my planes for as long as I've been scratchbuilding. I notice your motor plugs right into the ESC, eliminating cord weight there, but how thick is your cord to the battery in the nose? Isn't the ESC supposed to be closer to the battery than the motor? Or am I doing it wrong?

Do you use epoxy when joining any of that depron? What glue DO you use on depron? I'm sure almost anything would weigh less than epoxy

I thought depron was heavier than bluecore (fanfold foam). That's great and all, but I ended up having to use 3 layers of bluecore on my HL-10 fuselage to get the kind of rigidity I wanted (plus a CFR). I am planning another Edwards AFB alumn for after the expo this weekend, and I think I'm ready to make a break from bluecore.

Barrett

Quick Reply