Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 21, 2008, 10:56 AM
Pronoun trouble...
DismayingObservation's Avatar
Thread OP
Discussion

Project Zero 2.0 is now underway!


I'd become active on these boards last spring when I thought I'd share the progress of the repairs I'd be doing to a mildly crash-damaged Raiden Tech Zero Fighter-25. The repairs were a success, but my choice of too small a receiver battery meant a loss of control and a crash which totalled it for good. I liked it so well that I bought another which subsequently became my first review for RC Power.

Sadly, this newer plane suffered much the same fate the other day due to a reversed elevator control. Entirely my fault. It's crash-damaged all right, but it came in flat and in soft desert sand.

Both Raiden Tech and Nitro Models are sold out of the Zero (could my review have anything to do with it?) and after assessing the damage to mine, I've decided to fix it and share once again the progress I hope to make.

Here's what I'm up against starting with the fuselage:

*Separation of the firewall and engine from the fuselage along with some of the surrounding balsa; it wasn't glued in well at the factory in the first place

*Clean break of the right half of the vertical stab at the empannage

*Damage to the servo tray

*The rear wing hold-down popped off as a unit with the wing itself

As far as the wing is concerned:

*Small gouges in the covering on the top side

*Stripped gears in the left aileron servo

*Entire LE is scuffed (nothing I can do about that)

*Some sand and/or pieces of the internal structure are rattling around inside

*Locator tab is broken off

The cowl survived rather nicely with little more than slight crazing of the gel coat. A few dabs of epoxy, a bit of sanding and a repaint with the dope I used on the first plane and it'll be fine.

Cosmetically, it won't be too bad looking. Only visible differences will be the repainted cowl, the patches on the wing, the damaged covering on the underside behind the firewall where the balsa was torn off and the scuffed LE.

I've already started in by successfully epoxying the firewall and the wing hold-down back in place. I've also repaired the servo tray as best I could; lots of those little plywood pieces didn't quite fit back in the way they came off. Thankfully, the servos themselves remained in place rather nicely. Most of what was damaged came about as a result of the receiver battery parting company with it.

Pictures to follow soon!
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Feb 21, 2008 at 11:02 AM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zoom / Shogun Pinions 2.0 / 2.3mm now available ... born2net Mini Helis 12 Jul 09, 2004 12:20 PM
Schreiner F-18 Project - Part #2 TedLarson Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 115 Feb 22, 2003 02:52 PM
Profili 2.0 is available! slopeiron Slope 2 Oct 13, 2002 08:17 AM
Profili & TurboCad 2.0 martin johnson Electric Plane Talk 3 Feb 14, 2002 12:00 PM
FMS 2.0 Beta Mark Fitz Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 13 Jun 07, 2001 08:57 AM