Feb 21, 2008, 06:04 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Thread OP
Discussion

42% 122" 15kw Extra 260 conversion

Latest project will be to electric convert a 42% scale Extra 260 with same goal as the Katana conversion, thanks for the sucsess and great result with the Katana and its powersystem i was asked to do the same, but now with a larger airframe and new 2,4Ghz radio. I will also continue to test and evaluate the Mejzlik electric props and spinners, also test a new Jeti SPIN300 controllers togheter with Flightpower Lipo and Plettenberg motor.

The model is light build, fuse on pic is only 2,5kg. Batterys will be 14s configuration, i will go down from 15s that i used in the Katana to 14s becas of EU rule/ recomendation. Radio is a new Futaba 12FG 2,4Ghz FASST with the R6014FS 12chanel reciver, i will start test the 2,4Ghz FASST system in smaler setups first and finaly fly it in this plane with HV/ power setup. Total of 12 Futaba 9156 servos will be used togheter with the Duralite SC-12 Powerbox and Flightpower reciver packs.
Last edited by Jocke; May 07, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2008, 06:48 AM
Essential RC YouTube channel
Nice Jocke. Good luck with the project. Will watch with interest. Would like to do a 42% next year. Plettenburg motor prices out of my reach though. Maybe Hyperion Z60 or equivalent. 30% is my limit this year, a big step from the year before. Lead the way sir, lead the way...
Feb 21, 2008, 06:48 AM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Jocke,

Looks like a great project. Who makes the 42% Extra 260 you are using? SD Models?

Tim
Feb 21, 2008, 06:55 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Thread OP
Thank you guys, i apritiate it. Yes the model is as i belive an SD model Extra 260, Troy build models says 42%, so thats what im gonna do

The new Hyperion motors for large scale looks promissing, i have used there motors up to Z4045 with very nice result.
Feb 21, 2008, 08:32 PM
Aerodynamically challenged
Looks like fun Jocke! The new Scorpion 54XX series may be worth looking at too. They're supposed to be out in the spring. Promises 5kw+creamy 3D power!
Feb 21, 2008, 09:10 PM
Team 3DHS
Is it done yet? .
Feb 21, 2008, 11:21 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Thread OP
Sorry not done yet, i think this will take some time to put togheter the motor is now somewhere in Sweden on its way to me, cant wait! Have started to use the FASST 2,4 in smaler parkflyers, love it!(where is the antenna?) nice uppgrade from my FF9 35mHz.

I havent tryed any of the Scorpion motors yet, migt just have to do that, they look interesting, past few monts i have been testing the Cyclon motors.
Feb 22, 2008, 07:01 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Thread OP
Here are some better shots of the controller.
Feb 23, 2008, 04:50 PM
X-Era Motors
Which large hyperion motors are you speaking of Jocke?? I thought the 5045 was their largest motor?! Also, I'd love to see some test pics of that giant cyclon motor Tell us how it compares to the Plettenberg. I'm trying to figure out which motor is best... Hacker A200, Predator, or the Big Boss?!?!
Feb 23, 2008, 05:19 PM
Aerodynamically challenged
I flew a Cyclon geared outrunner...didn't like the prop sizing on their larger outrunners(for 3D work) so I shied away from them. Seem to be a bit on the small side for 3D props. Didn't really dig the required gear lube maintenance about every 40 minutes of flight time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke
Sorry not done yet, i think this will take some time to put togheter the motor is now somewhere in Sweden on its way to me, cant wait! Have started to use the FASST 2,4 in smaler parkflyers, love it!(where is the antenna?) nice uppgrade from my FF9 35mHz.

I havent tryed any of the Scorpion motors yet, migt just have to do that, they look interesting, past few monts i have been testing the Cyclon motors.
Feb 24, 2008, 04:06 AM
WATTSUP.SE
Thread OP
The Cyclons i have been testing is the Nano, Micro, P&F, Premium, Power, the latest motor will be the Power 55, these motors have incredible performance data thanks to the pole design and silver wind, the 55 have 0,014 Ohm, sofar im very impressed by all the Cyclons and the inovative design and peformance.

I had chanse to talk with Mr Fabrice at Nuremberg about the new BigBoss and his new Sigma controllers. Main diffrence with the BigBoss compared to other motors like the Predator 37 and A200 is the fact that its "only" for 12s Lipo max, becas of there safety policy so one needs to get the power from 300-400Amps instead, i wanted to run this plane and possebly other in 14s configuration so test of the Big Boss will have to wait. I think the BigBoss with controller will be avalible in 2-3monts for sale.

The BigBoss have been tested with 15kw contiuos 30min with only the prop for cooling, the fact that the 2,3kg motor can handle that and 20kw burst impresses me, and the 100mm diameter with 28pole design. Another fact to consider it is only ment to be runned by the new Sigma controller with new direct FET technology (se pic) and the A200 and Predator can be runned up to 15s Lipo with diffrent controllers like the new Schulze and Jeti SPIN. Main advantage for the Predator is the low weight (1,9kg) and nice self cooling design, also that one can run it with the folding prop system, the A200 i have limited knowlege of, i tryed to get information on it at Nuremberg without luck, i only know what is written about it in there catalog 2008, but im sure it will be a good performer as there A150, only downside i can see it the weight, but possebly thanks to that it handels heat in a good way and maby high burst power like the BigBoss.

The Hyperion motors for big scale seems promissing from what i have been reading from Davids posts, dont know how powerfull they will be, but they have some catching up to do considering Hacker And Plettenberg have a few motors now from the A80 up to A200, And Terminator and Predator 25 up to 37.
Feb 24, 2008, 11:24 AM
here is a pic of the Z65 lineup
not the greatest pic
they will be 7500 to 15k watts I think

hyperion is making 250amp 15s controller too
Feb 24, 2008, 12:51 PM
Essential RC YouTube channel
OMG! 30x10 carbon prop on that Z65 at the bottom of the pic. Wooooah.

Is that a custom lipo pack between the motors and the brochures? Must be huge capacity.
Last edited by DominicM; Feb 24, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Feb 24, 2008, 03:58 PM
WATTSUP.SE
Thread OP
The Hyperions have a nice look.

Some build being done today, the motorbox, landing gear, also some messurments, will now start servo installation for the stab. Will need to get tailwheel and system for the rudder servos, other than that everything is included.
Feb 24, 2008, 06:30 PM
X-Era Motors
I'm looking forward to test results for the Hyperion ZS65 series. Nippon Dave says early March for results It's funny that the Predator, and the A200 both use very similarly designed stator lamination with cooling holes. The BigBoss does not use this style, but instead has nice large ring bearings so the middle of the motor is hollow.

Quick Reply