This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 17, 2008, 11:44 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Just one of those days...

...when nothing seems to go right. I refer to yesterday.

Brought the Raiden Tech Zero Fighter-25 to the field yesterday along with my little .25-powered combat plane. Despite the assembly problems which I had with the Zero (which are outlined in an RC Power product review), it is one sweet airplane and plenty fast to boot. Takeoffs and landings have always been a breeze. In fact, it's one of the easiest planes to land I've ever owned.

I tried swapping a pair of 2" DU-BRO rubber wheels which I had on hand in place of the stock foam wheels to see if it would handle better on the ground.

Nope.

Despite removing, bending and rebending the struts (which are made of K&S 1/8" music wire), I couldn't keep the thing from either torque rolling left on takeoff, pitching forward on its nose or both. A quick check of the CG showed all was well. Still, it wouldn't handle properly no matter what I did.

I even went one better when trying to straddle the fuselage ahead of the elevator in order to set the high end: I kicked the tail nearly clean off!

My flying buddy who was helping me through all of this provided the CA and kicker.

Landings were just as bad, with the tendency to want to nose over and/or shoot off into the dirt. I chewed up the tips of the original prop and put the very first scrape on the chin of the cowl, this after more than thirty successful flights to this point.

Thought I'd try the combat plane to which I'd added landing gear as well.

All it does on takeoff is ground looping. If I lift the tail and give it a push, it often takes off fine.

Should have hand launched it.

I pushed a little too hard, it came up too fast and banked too far left, right into the breakaway safety fence, ripping the wing in two at the same time.

The stock wheels are back on the Zero and I'll try and track down some corrugated plastic sheeting for the combat plane.

Oh, and let's not forget the crash of my tail-heavy Align Spitfire 400 on its maiden just last week!

The week before that, I flew my modified Blade CP too close to a chain link fence. WHAM! I didn't just hit the fence, I hit the upper steel cross brace.

At speed.

Nearly thirty bucks and an hour-plus worth of work later and she's good as new. For now.

Yup, just one of those days...
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Feb 17, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply