Mar 27, 2008, 06:49 AM
more balsa please!
[QUOTE=erich]YOU CUT UP RON'S BOOK? You got a lotta guts messin with the indoor bible that way.

I made a copy of the page in the Hotel Business Center. I would never cut up the book. I did end up drawing it out on the back of the page I had copied. That is why it has the plans. I'm sure it's going to be heavy since it is covered with copy paper.

I'm planning on finishing that up tonight. I"ll add the motor holder in the rear. I'm just planning on it being a glider too, but wanted to make the molder holder for experience. Guess I need some string to tie that on. I'll be using paino wire, hope that works.

Next I may start on one of the mini's. You seem to really be enjoying yours. I'll focus more on keeping it lite also.

Darvin
to remove ads between posts
Mar 27, 2008, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
To tie on the Harlan motor bearing on the ezb's and pp, just used sewing thread, hardened with ambroid. You'll like the minis, especially if you build em light. Still can't figure how that mini-bipe makes such tight turns. And does it without dropping a wing (wings).

Back to the cabin build. Made most of the odds and ends. Traced prop outline and cut out some prop blanks. Mad prop spar, by flattening offset edges of sq. 1/16" stock, for the blades then rounding off the rest of spar. Added tissue reinforcement at hub. Made the rear motor peg, something easy for a change. Thinned down some 1/16" sheet stock to about .050 for the wing ribs. Got all wing ribs cut. Made some extras just in case. Next, the wing.

erich
Mar 27, 2008, 08:19 PM
more balsa please!
I got the motor hook made and installed. Then glued the rest of the parts on. I cheated a little and used CA to speed the process up. I made the motor hook out of .032 paino wire. In case your wondering, you won't find that desing in Ron's book. There is one close, but I had to modify it to get it to fit. I wrapped it with regular thread. Ron recommended silk thread, but I did'nt find any at WalMart. Is'nt WalMart supposed to have everyting you need?

I had to add what I though was a lot of clay onto the nose to get it to balance. Once that was done I gave it a toss. I was shocked how smoothly it flew. It only drops a few inches when flying across the room. I wanted to take it outside, but it was raining. I could take it into the pook area, but there's lots of kids and families there now. I can see I'm going to have to use that as my flying area in the early morning hours. I just hope I don't loose one in the water.

I did'nt add the propeller yet. I have a prop from a gullows kit. I think the prop wire is a little bent though. At least it seems that way to me. I'll have to try to straighten it again. I have some tan rubber. But not sure if I want to use it up on this. I hate to wast it. Also I'm not really sure how to measure it. I'll have to sleep on that.

Tomorrow I start on the mini.

Well, here are some pictures of the progress. Enjoy.
Mar 29, 2008, 04:04 AM
Thread OP
That does look like a lot of balancing clay! But whatever it takes. Yea you'll love flyin that mini. The best thing is it needs a lot less room. Can be a little aggravating, to build, at times, but definitely worth it.

Got to get on to building myself. Next up the cabins wing. Going to be a pleasure working on something a little more substantial then a mini or ezb.

erich
Mar 29, 2008, 07:07 AM
more balsa please!
I've got all the pieces for the mini laid out along with the plans. I'm not really clear on a few things. It talks about the different colored wood. Red, green, or black. My kit has 1 red piec and 3 black. It also does'nt seem like it has enogh bals for the motor sticks. It came with one piece 12 inch long. I'm starting to think I should have started with the EZB or the Slowpoke that I have.

On the plans it looks like the wing ribs are curves, is that the case? If so, how do you get the curve into them. I read in Ron's book about cutting curves ribs, but not makign curves from straight sticks. I could'nt tell from your build photos.

I did add a motor to the SRPSM last night. It was so heavy that all that clay you saw on the nose, had to be added to the rear to get it to balance. The rubber that I had was too small (about .040 x .035). So it was underpowered. It was neat to expeiriment a little with winding though. I had bought a 10 x 1 winder. After putting 700 turns on the rubber the prop would spin for 1 min 5 sec. I think that is amazing in itself.

Hope your build is coming along nicely.

Darvin
Mar 29, 2008, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Yea the kit seems to skimp on a few things, can't see how you could possibly make 3 minis out of the stuff. The green piece is used to make the ribs for wing and stab. Black sheet is for prop spar I believe. And the red is used for wing and stab spars. I just used the heaviest sticks for wing spars. Some of the sticks are marked black on the end, those are the heaviest, one of them gets used for the rear motor stick, the front motor stick is the biggest (size wise) and in my kit a very light stick. You need to make a curved template for the ribs. I used 1/8" thick piece of ply. In the plans is a drawing of the rib arc, use that to make the curve in your template. Then just cut out the ribs from the red piece using the template and a new razor blade (needs to be real sharp). Seems a little daunting at first. But after you get into it for awhile, it won't be. Once you break a few ribs and spars, you'll see the world keeps on spinning. Have fun.

erich
Mar 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
more balsa please!
Well, I'm glad you posted that info. There is some sheet balsa and I had forgotten about it. I was talking about the sticks. I think there is 2 pieces a little thicker. So.... I will be cutting out the curved ribs. That makes more sense. I'll probably try to get on that this afternoon. I'm working now. Or supposed to be. But once I get back to the room will see what I can get done. The family is driving up tonight to visit so probably won't get much done.

Thanks for the info about the ribs and including a picture. I'll probably just cut a piece from Balsa to use as a guide.

Darvin
Mar 29, 2008, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Darvin

I used carboard for a template on the first plane, which was a little easier to make then the ply ones.

Cabin progress:

Laid out the wing plans, copied from book. Aligned some little balsa blocks. Then set out to sand LE an TE pieces to the tapers shown on plans. Took awhile as the tips taper to quite a thin thickness compared to wing center. Used a slightly stiffer piece for the LE. Sanded down just the outside of LE and TE. That way there is a nice and straight area for the ribs to glue to. Cracked LE slightly and bent it to shape dry. So now, need to cut the ribs and get them glued in. That's next.

erich
Mar 30, 2008, 02:11 AM
Thread OP
Have added the ribs. The center rib is 1/16 x 1/16 the rest of them are 1/16 by about .050. Tilted the outer ribs slightly out. These ribs NOW seem gigantic, compared to what I been using on the PP's. Let the whole thing sit for about 3 hrs. Once unpinned...the wing, stayed together, no loose ribs on this plane.

erich
Mar 30, 2008, 08:27 AM
more balsa please!
I got some ribs for the mini cut yesterday. Wow, I need tweezers to pick them up. Guess I'll be getting some of those today. I made the form piece out of basswood. I think I should have used some aluminum or something as I've already shaved a little off of it. They turned out good by beginner standards I think. I'll post some pictures tonight. I also figured out all of the wood. Only 1 red stick was marked, but thanks to my handy micrometer I've found out that they are all the same (or very close). So, should be able to get the wing done tonight, minus covering. I'm still thinking I've jumped off into the deep water. Coming from the SRPSM to this is quite a step.

Darvin
Mar 30, 2008, 01:31 PM
Thread OP
It's definitely another world of modeling, working with wood that weighs practically nothing. Sounds like your making progress though. When you get that clear covering on, it'll really start looking good.

Now to get some work done too.

Speaking of covering. Covered the wing with tissue, using 3M 77 spray. Worked a lot better then elemers and water. Sprayed the stuff up into the air and caught some of the spray as it fell. Made a wooden holder so as not to get the spray all over myself. About three sprays and catches was all it took. After getting the glue onto wing top surface, laid the wing on work bench then with a piece of tissue, about 1" over size all around, laid that on top of wing. Patted down spars, then ribs (gently). Trimmed with a new (sharp) double edged razor. And the wing is done (well almost). Am probably prejudiced, but it looks pretty good to me. Hope to add the dihedral shortly. A little anxious to see what the completed wing looks like.

erich
Mar 30, 2008, 02:23 PM
Spraying up into the air three times and then letting some fall on the frame is exactly how Ray Harlan told me to do it. Kevin
Mar 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
more balsa please!
erich,

Nice looking wing the tissue seems to have went on really smoothly. Also I may not have noticed the tapered wing spars if you did'nt point it out. Makes sense to save weight, Boy I have got a lot to learn.

Here are the pictures from yesterday's progress. I got 8 ribs cut and the small ones for the stabilizer. Even though the plans called for 4 ribs, I cut 8. I'm counting on messing up a few before it is over. I think I should have cut them long and then trimmed them to size, but I'll see how it works. I'm going to go get some tweezers to move them around with. I can barely pick them up with my fingers. I have to slide a razor blade under them and sometimes they get nicked by the blade.

Darvin
Mar 30, 2008, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
What your talking about doing with the ribs is what I did. Made the rib stock way overize then cut them all down to fit. Have found the better way (which is what your doing already) is to make the rib stock slightly oversize (about 1-2mm), so most ribs fit with just a little sanding. This is what I did on the last pp, and it really saved a lot of time, not to mention stock. I had been cutting off about 1/4" or more on every rib. I put a small piece of masking tape on the razor blades, to help with the grip. Am going to try doing it your way (some wood) on next rib job. Usually slide my small steel rule under the ribs, to pick em up, or a t-pin, it is a little bit of a problem. Tried tweezers, I ended up crushing them, but my tweezers are maybe a little to big for this kind of work. Looks to me like your doing great, you even have a cutting board of some kind, cool.

erich
Mar 30, 2008, 07:15 PM
What I do to handle small parts is stabing them with a new X-Acto blade in the knife handle. I've been criticized for doing it that way but the stab is just enough to pick up the part, not even any real penetration into the wood. Kevin

Quick Reply