Cermark Victor - Page 3 - RC Groups
Feb 22, 2008, 09:14 PM
This afternoon, I was flying my ParkZone Typhoon and experimenting with flaps and spoiler settings. Here's what I empirically observed:

flaps down, nose down;

spoilers up, nose up.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2008, 10:51 AM
Oops, you're right. Spoilerons pitch the nose up, flaperons push it down. Sorry.
Feb 26, 2008, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glucoseboy
I picked up some 3/8" carbon fiber strips to go in front and behind the wing joiner. While laying them out, it finally dawned on me why I couldn't just replace the wing joiner with a carbon fiber strip. To my casual inspection the wing joiner was just a simple piece of ply, but behold, there's a slight bend to set the angle of the wing tips. . I know pullskinner mentioned that it sets the dihedral previously but I didn't really comprehend how it actually set it.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get the CF strips positioned properly. The slot for the joiner extends into the wing and I couldn't remove enough material to make enough room for the CF strips to fit.

So, I went ahead and used the joiners on its own with a lot of epoxy. I'm thinking I will reinforce the joint with some packing tape along the joint seam later.

Pulling the servo wire through the channel was a little tricky. I did a dry run pulling the wire and bringing the wing tip and the joiner together (sans epoxy) and the fishing line snapped. So I was a little worried when I did it for real with the epoxy. Of course, using 30-Minute epoxy, I would have had plenty of time to fish the wire out and repeat, but it would have been a little messy (I'm sure I would have gotten stray epoxy on the wing).

One down, one more to go!

HAHA, I did the same thing. I took a dremel to some layered cf and the original ply, destroyed the original. I left one intact, but since I am keen on flying it soon, I just called cermark and they are sending me a new one ($11 later).

I will reinforce it with carbon nontheless!
Feb 26, 2008, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it

I will reinforce it with carbon nontheless!
Cool, let me know how the carbon reinforcements work out.

I'm getting a lot of experience working with epoxy with this build. I must say I like how the bonds are turning out. Just a few stray spots here and there (comes with wearing gloves I guess). No big deal, after all, this is my first build.

I have mounted the v-tail on the fuslage with epoxy. Now working on installing the servos and control horns for the tail. One thing I've noticed is that the pre-installed servo tray seems a bit low in the fuslage for my tastes. I was hoping that I could fit my 3S lipo pack under the tray a ways to push the CG back. Can't do it. I guess I'll position the Rx under there. Hope I can wrangle my AR7000 into a nice position. I'm hoping I can get the CG correct without having to resort to tail weights.
Feb 27, 2008, 03:14 AM
Finished mounting the control horns. The motion on the control rods seem a little "sticky". Perhaps some dried graphite powder will help loosen things up.

I tried mounting my HS65s in the servo tray but the cutouts are a shade too short so out came the Dremel. I think I can get my receiver just under the front of the servo tray. As I mentioned before, the battery will bump up against it. Any other suggestions on where the receiver might go?
Feb 27, 2008, 12:04 PM
I have a ton of hs-55 servos I won on ebay, but for the elevator, I am going with my crown jewels: a pair of micro digital metal gear servos from jr. Make sure that the pair of servos you use are perfectly matched in terms of speed of travel.

I will take pics of the wing joiner tonite, I essentially sanded it down in thickness and used thick ca to glue a strip of carbon fiber to it. I then carved out any excess carbon with an exactly knife.
Feb 28, 2008, 02:28 AM
Question: Did you peel back the covering on the vtail before epoxing it? I am not sure exactly where the epoxy is meant to go.... in between the two parts, and in the center gap? Did you use carbon ribbon around it?

Also, using the factory recommended motor system: I found that mounting the motor flush to the fire wall actually caused it to prevent from spinning freely... any and all advice is appreciated on this one...

thanks!
R.S.
Last edited by la528it; Feb 28, 2008 at 12:15 PM.
Feb 28, 2008, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Question: Did you peel back the covering on the vtail before epoxing it? I am not sure exactly where the epoxy is meant to go.... in between the two parts, and in the center gap? Did you use carbon ribbon around it?

Also, using the factory recommended motor system: I found that mounting the motor flush to the fire wall actually caused it to prevent from spinning freely... any and all advice is appreciated on this one...

thanks!
R.S.
Yes, I did peel back the covering on the joined v-tail before adding the epoxy. I just placed the tail in the saddle and used a pen to mark the perimeter. I then used a sharp exacto knife and gently cut away the covering. I then sanded the tail saddle and the exposed v-tail with sandpaper to rough up things for the epoxy. I put the epoxy on both the vtail and the two "lips" in the saddle where the tail actually touches. I used a lot of epoxy.

re: motor mounting. Haven't gotten there yet. I'll have to check it out tonight.
Feb 28, 2008, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Yes, I did peel back the covering on the joined v-tail before adding the epoxy. I just placed the tail in the saddle and used a pen to mark the perimeter. I then used a sharp exacto knife and gently cut away the covering. I then sanded the tail saddle and the exposed v-tail with sandpaper to rough up things for the epoxy. I put the epoxy on both the vtail and the two "lips" in the saddle where the tail actually touches. I used a lot of epoxy.

re: motor mounting. Haven't gotten there yet. I'll have to check it out tonight.

I see, but you did not put epoxy on top of the two halves... i.e. in the upper middle part of the "V"?

thanks again, I'll slap mine on tonite. Cermark did not ups my wing joiners, though they ups everything else... makes me upset!
Feb 28, 2008, 06:50 PM
Quote:
I see, but you did not put epoxy on top of the two halves... i.e. in the upper middle part of the "V"?

thanks again, I'll slap mine on tonite. Cermark did not ups my wing joiners, though they ups everything else... makes me upset!
When I put the two halves together (to make the V) I just put the epoxy in the the joint. Some did ooze out the top (my epoxy dries clear).

I just epoxied the bottom of the V-tail into the fuslage.

bummer about the wing joiners. You think they could just drop it in the mail.
Feb 29, 2008, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Q

I did not find any issues when mounting the motor flush to the firewall. I used the "long" motor screws with the "inner" mount holes. However, I did notice that they used epoxy to mount the wooden firewall to the metal mount. There was a few drops of epoxy on the firewall side. If they were large enough, they may rub against the spinning can of the outrunner. Take a look inside and see.
Feb 29, 2008, 03:49 AM
Installing the ruddervator servos went pretty smoothly. I first removed the servo arms and installed the servos in the tray. I then mounted the pushrod connectors on the arms. Next, slid the pushrods onto the connectors. The last step is to then center the servos and mount the arms. I ran into a little hiccup here; I dislodged the pushrod tube from the mount for the right ruddervator. I'm going to reattach it using some goop (maybe epoxy). Might be a good idea to reinforce this area.
Feb 29, 2008, 04:31 PM
Quote:
I did not find any issues when mounting the motor flush to the firewall. I used the "long" motor screws with the "inner" mount holes. However, I did notice that they used epoxy to mount the wooden firewall to the metal mount. There was a few drops of epoxy on the firewall side. If they were large enough, they may rub against the spinning can of the outrunner. Take a look inside and see.

that makes sense, I'll scoop anything out again tonite. I took some pics of the carbon reinforced joiners. I had do use microballons for the first time to build the saddle for the V tail... very cool stuff. I was talking about it at the field this morning, and some guy came up to me and told me he had a victor and was very eager to build his as well. This seems like a breakout phenomenon, these things have been around for a while no?

As for the pushrod tube, be very careful, if any adhesive finds its way onto the pushrod, you are in for a lot of headaches.
Feb 29, 2008, 04:58 PM
Hello all,

The UPS delivered my Cermark Victor today and it looks very very nice... I'm so stoked about building it. The plane is made out of quality material, i.e. fiberglass fuselage... Too bad, I won't be able to work on it until I get back from our trip to Europe...

LG
Feb 29, 2008, 05:00 PM
Quote:
I had do use microballons for the first time to build the saddle for the V tail... very cool stuff. I was talking about it at the field this morning, and some guy came up to me and told me he had a victor and was very eager to build his as well. This seems like a breakout phenomenon, these things have been around for a while no?

As for the pushrod tube, be very careful, if any adhesive finds its way onto the pushrod, you are in for a lot of headaches.
So you used the micro balloons to fill in the tail area and build up a saddle or did you use it just to thicken up the epoxy?

Yes, the victor has been out for years. I've heard that Cermark is thinking of discontinuing it. (but don't quote me)