Cermark Victor - RC Groups
Feb 14, 2008, 10:39 PM
Build Log

Cermark Victor

I've been wanting to get a nice electric sailplane for a while now and I finally picked up the Cermark Victor.

http://www.cermark.net/List.php?TID=9

I read a nice review of the kit in the March 2007 issue of Quiet Flyer. What appealed to me was the completeness of the kit; it comes with a full hardware set. Cermark also sells a recommended "Power pack" which contains a brushless motor, ESC, carbon-fiber folding prop, aluminum spinner. Total price, kit with power pack, around $270 shipped.

I'm going to build it using four servos to drive the V-tail as a "ruddervator." I've got some Hitec HS-65s spares from my Trex that I will use.

This is my first build ever so I would appreciate any tips or suggestions!
Last edited by glucoseboy; Feb 14, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2008, 10:52 PM
The 3-piece wings are balsa-sheeted foam core covered with Oracover.

The ailerons and stabilizer are hinged with Oracover as well.
Feb 14, 2008, 11:18 PM
The fuslage is fiberglass and comes with a motor mount, servo tray and pushrods pre-installed.

The finish on the fuslage is quite nice.
Feb 14, 2008, 11:24 PM
Also included: servo covers, v-tail setup gauge, and hardware pack, servo extensions, control horns, etc.

And the all-important: Illustrated-Manual!
Feb 14, 2008, 11:31 PM
The motor included in the recommended "Power-pack" is a Cermark 2820-1020 outrunner. It's a small outrunner, 28mm wide by 37mm long. It's 1020 kV and is rated to pull a maximum of 22 amps.

The ESC is the Cermark 30BL which is their 30 amp ESC. It comes with an on/off switch which is handy (although at this point, I'm not sure where I will mount the switch)

The recommended prop is a 10 x 8 carbon-fiber folding prop. Steve at Cermark said that they've recently noticed some of the props coming badly out of balance. He recommended I go with a Graupner prop so I paid the difference and had them swap it out.

the included spinner is bar-stock aluminum. Very nice finish.

I'll use my 3S 2100 lipos for this setup.
Last edited by glucoseboy; Feb 14, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
Feb 14, 2008, 11:45 PM
OK, the first step is to open up the wing where the aileron servos will go. The opening is built-in at the factory, just covered over. First, I marked out the circle with a pen. Then cut the circle out. I left about 1 cm of covering to tack back into the opening with a trim iron. I read that tacking the covering back instead of cutting it to the edge allows for the covering to shrink without exposing the wood. It was very easy to do, just slowly working each flap with the trim iron.

I think I did a pretty good job.
Last edited by glucoseboy; Feb 14, 2008 at 11:54 PM.
Feb 14, 2008, 11:59 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Great Start GB!!

I will be following this closely. I want a sailplane badly! I will be watching, but I doubt I can add much since I have never built a SP before.

GL and thanks for the thread!

Diggs
Feb 15, 2008, 12:21 AM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
The Victor is one of my all time favorite Sailplanes..The power system Cermark sells for the Victor is plenty fast for this beauty..Good move upgrading the stock Cermark prop,I have first hand accounts with there stock 10/8,I lost the entire nose off my Victor when I lost one blade..The Cermark power system is way capable of throwing the Graupner blades,so make sure you balance them with a Dubro,or one of the other balancers.
Feb 15, 2008, 01:02 AM
Hey Flightmare. Thanks for the tip. I've heard that you should always balance props that are larger than 6 inches. I purchased a Top-flight "magnetic" balancer. (yes, I picked up a lot of new tools for this kit!)

OK: Ran into my first challange. The channels for the servo wire in the wing tip panels and the center panel are too narrow to pass the connector through (why on earth did they design it this way????)

Cermark included an extension that has just pins on one end to allow it to thread through the channel. However, it is too short. As you can see, the connection point between the original servo wire and the extension is in the middle of the panel!

Even if I was going to skip using the pins and solder the extension directly to the servo wire, I can't.

I'm going to give Cermark a call tomorrow and see what solution they can offer.
Feb 15, 2008, 03:16 PM
Glucoseboy,thats an easy fix,The stock extensions will work if you plug another 6 inch extension into the reciever..Leave these plugged in at all times,then plug your 6 inch into the stock Cermark ext,but if you are going to buy another set of extensions,you might as well buy the 12 or 16 inch,and just splice them to the servo leads..solder them and shrink wrap then,and the will pull through no problem..
Feb 15, 2008, 03:50 PM
If the servo wires are long enough, another approach to the problem is to slide the three metal connectors out of the connector housing. They're held in with little plastic tabs, so just carefully lift up the tab with the point of your xacto blade, then pull the connector out.

Put a piece of tape around the connectors, and they'll slide thru the channel in the wing. Then you just slide them back into the housing.

FrankH
Feb 15, 2008, 05:40 PM
Soaron: Flightmare, thanks for the tips and the great pictures. I'll give it a shot. Tech support at Cermark basically said the same thing. They recommended either taking the pins out of the plug (ala Soar-on) or just soldering directly.

Question for you Flightmare: So you were able to pull through the servo cable with the servo plug connected? Hmm, the fit is pretty tight at the openings for me.

Also, do you tie a weight to the thread to guide it trough the wing channel? Apologies for the newbie questions, but this is my first build
Last edited by glucoseboy; Feb 15, 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Feb 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
I would go with Franks idea of using the existing pins and shrink wrap.I would solder them too..
I had no trouble pulling the connectors through intact,but if it seems too tight then remove the plastic housing,and pull them through..
If you mean tie a weight onto initially fish the string through?No,I used a vacuum cleaner or shop vac,and suck it through..way easy..
Feb 16, 2008, 09:04 AM
I have this plane, it's one of my favorites. Don't know why we don't hear more about it on the forums, it certainly is a crowd pleaser. So, you've run into the servo connector problem, I see you're getting some good ideas from others. Another problem I encountered with this plane is the included wing joiners are too weak to stand up to anything less than a perfect landing. I reinforced my second wing with two six inch long pieces of carbon fiber strip 3/8" wide. Just make a cut fore and aft of the stock wing joiner, and apply epoxy and slide them in when you do the stock joiner. Also, my aileron servos came loose and I had to reattach them, but the servo covers were epoxied in place. Had to butcher them up and they could not be used again. I used goop to attach the servo covers the next time around, hopefully I can slice the goop a little easier next time to avoid trauma to the covers. Do not spare the epoxy when you attach the servos to the wing and maybe you won't have to go back in there. Definitely set your radio up with flaperon/spoileron, I find flaps on launch to settle my nerves, and spoilerons take out that extra long glide in ground effect, helping you to land it where you want it. I'm not kidding, ground effect is strong with this plane, and spoilerons will tame that. So that's all I can think of for now, hope you enjoy the Victor, I'm flying mine in about an hour this morning.
Pullskinner