Jun 14, 2001, 10:38 PM
Professional Dork

Night Flying With The Sky Scooter

Tonight I finally got around to my first after dark flight. I just taped the lighting system to the belly of the plane. It consists of a 9 volt battery, a small transformer, and a long, thin strip of material that glows brightly (like an Indiglo watch). I let the strip trail behind the plane and flutter. In the air it was a strange sight. It looked more like some kind of creature flying around than a plane. Anybody know of any cheap and lightweight strobe lights? This stuff is too fun!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2001, 06:02 AM
I tried some night flying the other night, without any added lighting on my Sky Scooter (I thought I'd be able to see it in the moonlight). It was a BAD experience, I almost totalled the thing after flying straight into the ground because I quickly lost my orientation. I assume your experience was much more positive?
Jun 15, 2001, 07:06 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Sounds like fun! Does it illuminate the plane any for better orientation ?

It would seem helpful to have a large open area ...a large parking lot with little lighting around perimeter.

How long does the 9v batt last ?

Al
Jun 15, 2001, 07:20 AM
Hey Guys. I've never tried it, but I thought it would work good to use those miniature glo stick they sell at Wallmart to put in fishing bobbers for night fishing. There only about an inch and a half long and I'm sure they'd be pretty light.
Jun 15, 2001, 09:23 PM
Professional Dork
Al,

It didn't illuminate the plane, I had it trailing behind like a tail on a kite. Orientation wasn't a problem... everything came home in one piece. I don't know how long the battery lasts, I've never had to change it. It should last a long time though... doesn't seem to be much of a drain. The best solution would be to tap into the battery pack on the plane and save some weight.
Jun 15, 2001, 09:34 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
with a really quiet plane one could have a few laughs as a UFO ?!
Jun 15, 2001, 11:18 PM
Tttthink of the fun on Halloween also with ghosts and UFO's flying around your neighborhood!!!! I'm liking this!!
Jun 15, 2001, 11:42 PM
characters welcome!
You guys should see Bernard Cawley's LT-25 with lighting setup. Loops, rolls, the whole enchilada and all the leading edges have strip lighting outlining the entire plane.
MAN! Can he fly that thing!!

mw