Nov 26, 2016, 08:42 PM
vbearn
Sorry to be so long in replying.
The best way to describe it construction is a 'stressed skin monocoque' or to put it simply carvel planking as in ship building but using 3 mm Depron sheet!
The wing is fairly conventional construction - spar, ribs and sheeting except the flanges of the balsa/Depron/balsa spar are incorporated into the wing skin itself to give the maximum possible spar depth.
The bottom wing skin with the balsa spar flange inserted in to it.
Name: LHbottom.JPG
Views: 101
Size: 54.6 KB
Description:
The Depron ribs and shear webs added along with the top spar flange and leading edge skin.
Name: LHdspar.JPG
Size: 232.2 KB
Description:
Each wing is now quite rigid and strong enough to handled.
With the tail booms added (they are also hollow Depron) the wing halves can be joined.
Name: WingJoin.JPG
Views: 119
Size: 247.2 KB
Description:
With the aileron servos installed the top wing skin is completed and the fins and tail plane added.
Name: WingTail.JPG
Size: 242.7 KB
Description:
The elevator servo is buried in the centre of the tail plane. The servo wire runs up the RH tail boom. It is flown bank and yank so there is no rudder.
The fuselage is built as a half shell on formers over the plan.
Name: Fuseplank1.JPG
Views: 114
Size: 220.9 KB
Description:
Once it is sufficiently planked it can be lifted and the formers for the other side added.
Name: FusePlank3.JPG
Views: 98
Size: 239.1 KB
Description:
Before the planking progresses too far the motors and ESCs are added.
Name: 2212Front.JPG
Views: 128
Size: 231.7 KB
Description:
Name: RearESC.JPG
Views: 107
Size: 223.2 KB
Description:
The whole wing assembly can then be fitted to the fuselage and all the planking completed once the load carrying wing struts are fitted.
Name: WingFuse1.JPG
Views: 126
Size: 239.6 KB
Description:
The battery and radio are in the cockpit.
Name: BatteryFix1.JPG
Views: 112
Size: 196.6 KB
Description:
All covered by a one piece Depron "canopy" that is held down with magnets.
By no means a beginners plane to build but the resultant structure is very light so only requires quite modest power, about 260W in total (but that's 130W/lb!) and is plenty strong and stiff enough for spirited aerobatics.
I hope this helps.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 19, 2017, 08:53 PM
Nice building and flying!
Up!
Jul 30, 2017, 10:09 AM
Quorneng. How many cm of chord of wing?
Aug 16, 2017, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
vbearn
Sorry to be so long in replying.
The best way to describe it construction is a 'stressed skin monocoque' or to put it simply carvel planking as in ship building but using 3 mm Depron sheet!
The wing is fairly conventional construction - spar, ribs and sheeting except the flanges of the balsa/Depron/balsa spar are incorporated into the wing skin itself to give the maximum possible spar depth.
The bottom wing skin with the balsa spar flange inserted in to it.
Attachment 9556118
The Depron ribs and shear webs added along with the top spar flange and leading edge skin.
Attachment 9556120
Each wing is now quite rigid and strong enough to handled.
With the tail booms added (they are also hollow Depron) the wing halves can be joined.
Attachment 9556153
With the aileron servos installed the top wing skin is completed and the fins and tail plane added.
Attachment 9556163
The elevator servo is buried in the centre of the tail plane. The servo wire runs up the RH tail boom. It is flown bank and yank so there is no rudder.
The fuselage is built as a half shell on formers over the plan.
Attachment 9556170
Once it is sufficiently planked it can be lifted and the formers for the other side added.
Attachment 9556171
Before the planking progresses too far the motors and ESCs are added.
Attachment 9556190
Attachment 9556192
The whole wing assembly can then be fitted to the fuselage and all the planking completed once the load carrying wing struts are fitted.
Attachment 9556198
The battery and radio are in the cockpit.
Attachment 9556206
All covered by a one piece Depron "canopy" that is held down with magnets.
By no means a beginners plane to build but the resultant structure is very light so only requires quite modest power, about 260W in total (but that's 130W/lb!) and is plenty strong and stiff enough for spirited aerobatics.
I hope this helps.
Where is CG ? You mean 32 oz that is 907 gr?
Oct 16, 2023, 09:52 PM

23” version

I started a 50% build today, it will be a 1s twin. I’m thinking about using an rx with an integrated esc and running an external esc from an aux channel - I hope having both exactly in harmony is going to be a problem, if it is I can always just run two rx’s.

Obviously I am taking some liberties with the original plan e.g. not building the fuse by laminating but it scales well to 3mm Depron. The booms are solid- I put a .05x3mm strip of carbon flat stock on the inner boom piece.

Quick Reply