Feb 15, 2009, 07:04 PM
AMA 8614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong X
Foamenator

You left us hanging.
Did you get her flying properly?

Mike
She's still awaiting repair mainly because she had enough electronics in her for two planes.
Mar 03, 2009, 02:42 PM
design n fly junkie
foamenator are the drawings still available I dnd the plans but still need the top and side views. Please help I had a HL 337 and it had 2 flights on her when she lost a servo signal wire in the right wing. Stuck full up. Had a nice foam storm for a few seconds. I would like to build your version of this plane. Tankx twolftoo
Mar 04, 2009, 06:23 PM
AMA 8614
Quote:
Originally Posted by twolftoo
foamenator are the drawings still available I dnd the plans but still need the top and side views. Please help I had a HL 337 and it had 2 flights on her when she lost a servo signal wire in the right wing. Stuck full up. Had a nice foam storm for a few seconds. I would like to build your version of this plane. Tankx twolftoo
The only actual plans I used were the plans Tony drew for me. They are back at post #1. The fuse in the plans is too narrow to look scale like, so I used a three view to eyeball the proper width. Take a look at the plans and let me know if you have any other questions, and I will answer as best I can. I also have a few pics I didn't post, that I can send you if it helps clear up a particular point. The plane really turned out nice, and if I had followed my own rules for getting it ready to fly, it would not have crashed. I still plan to get back to it someday. Bob
Nov 10, 2009, 03:04 AM
I have been visiting this since 2008 and would love to build it pleeeeease give us a build log followed the SE5a one and what a pleasent build.
Jan 15, 2016, 01:44 AM
Working on this build as a tribute to my father who flew these in the Illinois ANG years ago. Any advice on the size of landing gear (main and nose)?

Thanks.
Jan 15, 2016, 08:46 AM
I also scratch built a Cessna O-2 but used Depron with a bit of balsa reinforcing.
53" span it weighs 32 oz with a 2200mAh 3s.
Copied the Vietnam 'black ops' version.
Name: Complete2.JPG
Views: 149
Size: 152.5 KB
Description:
No undercarriage as I fly from a rough grass field so its hand launch belly land. It is also 'bank and yank' with no rudder.
A pair of Emax 2822s with 9x6 counter rotating props means full power can be safely applied in any situation!
The Tx has been set up so the front motor can be cut. It flies pretty well on just the rear.
The Cessna O-2 in calm weather (2 min 26 sec)

Sometimes (but not often) a scratch build flies really well from day one. This was one them!
Jan 15, 2016, 12:23 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
I also scratch built a Cessna O-2 but used Depron with a bit of balsa reinforcing.
Attachment 8604966
No undercarriage as I fly from a rough grass field so its hand launch belly land. It is also 'bank and yank' with no rudder.
A pair of Emax 2822s with 9x6 counter rotating props means full power can be safely applied in any situation!
The Tx has been set up so the front motor can be cut. It flies pretty well on just the rear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhzDGAeBis
Sometimes (but not often) a scratch build flies really well from day one. This was one them!
Nice flying and video!

Ken
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Jan 15, 2016, 01:02 PM
treefinder
sweet! great smooth flyer and really cool fore/aft twin sounds!
Jan 15, 2016, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Attachment 8604966
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhzDGAeBis
WOW! Quorneng - what a fantastic looking and flying model! The O-2 has been in my project folder for a while now. After seeing your build and video it has definitely moved to the top! Mine will be much smaller and a less detailed build but thank you for the inspiration - I hope it flies as well as yours! Your model also looks very scale - did you enlarge any of the flying surfaces? I was thinking I could leave them true to scale...
Jan 15, 2016, 04:20 PM
Nice plane! I already have a 60" wing with twin boom & V-tail. May be I could just build a fuse with tandem motors and tri-cycle LG...Not exactly 337 but should be an interesting project
Jan 15, 2016, 06:47 PM
SNice
My O-2 was built from this 3 view blown up to the correct size.
Name: O-2sections.jpg
Views: 151
Size: 233.8 KB
Description:
Nothing was changed even the wing section is scale NACA2142 root to NACA2109 tip but it is very light for its size and power which does help!
Mar 23, 2016, 08:49 AM
RC Enthusiast
Quote:
I also scratch built a Cessna O-2 but used Depron with a bit of balsa reinforcing... Sometimes (but not often) a scratch build flies really well from day one. This was one them!
Very nice! May attempt to build one similar to yours soon. Thanks for sharing.
Latest blog entry: Funder & Lightning Videos
Oct 09, 2016, 11:52 AM
Hi !
I'm really loving this design of yours. Could you please elaborate more about its build process?

And how did you make the engine cowl so nice and smooth? And how about the wing airfoils?
That little firewall on the top is superb!

Thanks!
Last edited by vbearn; Oct 09, 2016 at 12:02 PM.
Oct 09, 2016, 04:54 PM
Just for information it was also used in a similar military role by the Rhodesian Air Force 1976 - 1980 (now known as the Chimurenga War) and was known as the Lynx. Was also armed similarly.
The USA applied sanctions against Rhodesia during this period and likely these aircraft were obtained through South Africa as civilian application use.