Mar 03, 2008, 03:10 PM
AMA 8614

MOving along 16 Days To Go

Here are few pics from hanger flying and trial fitting yesterday. Weight as pictured is 20.1 oz right now (no receiver or battery). I decided to leave off functional rudders, although the plumbing is there if I need to change my mind. One mini servo will drive the steerable nose wheel.Front windsheild will be clear plastic (hopefully). I'm liking it so far. Bob
Last edited by Foamenator; Mar 05, 2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Mistake on Weight Calculation
to remove ads between posts
Mar 03, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Looking good!
Mar 03, 2008, 05:52 PM
Bob,

Great looking plane you got there. 16 days, I think you will make the deadline without any problems, me on the other hand.......I just don't know yet , I could get really motivated & pull a couple all nighters to try and get back in this.........We'll see

JP
Mar 16, 2008, 11:59 AM
AMA 8614

Times Running Out

Well we are just about there. I have two problems... (1) It's too cold to paint and (2). Our weather is supposed to be lousy the next few days for the maiden.

Only piece left to build is the Top Deck to cover the receiver, etc. The receiver and all the servos except nosewheel steering are in the wing mid section. Battery, esc's etc are in the fuse bay. The nose wheel servo is in the bottom bay.

AUW including 6.5 oz 2100 mah lipo is 38.2oz
Mar 17, 2008, 11:15 AM

Mixmaster Looks Good!

Bob,

Your project has come a long way! The design looks solid and very scale like in appearance. I like it! All you need to do is add some Willy Petes under each wing and you'll be ready to mark target!

Concerning the need for rudders or not; my Boxcar flies well without them and tracks good in the turns. As you know, I am using just ailerons and elevator. And the ailerons are very effective with minimal throw.

You are almost there! I am sure you'll get it done with plenty of time to spare.

Good luck!

J3
Mar 17, 2008, 10:03 PM
AMA 8614
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3flyah
Bob,

Your project has come a long way! The design looks solid and very scale like in appearance. I like it! All you need to do is add some Willy Petes under each wing and you'll be ready to mark target!

Concerning the need for rudders or not; my Boxcar flies well without them and tracks good in the turns. As you know, I am using just ailerons and elevator. And the ailerons are very effective with minimal throw.

You are almost there! I am sure you'll get it done with plenty of time to spare.

Good luck!

J3
Thanks J3... I just wish I had one of those big indoor soccer fields to fly in. Bob
Last edited by Foamenator; Mar 17, 2008 at 10:10 PM.
Mar 17, 2008, 10:55 PM
HEAVY METAL JUNKY
Foamentor,

Very cool plane.

You did an outsanding job with this, very scale looking

Can't wait to the maiden flight video.

Good luck

Chuck
Mar 18, 2008, 05:45 AM
You do nice work Bob. Now we need a MAIDEN!

Tony
Mar 18, 2008, 09:18 AM
I have always admired this plane , have to build one . ( on floats of course. )

Good luck on the maiden , I will be paying close attention as I will be maidening a push pull design soon too !!
Mar 20, 2008, 06:08 PM
AMA 8614

The First Flight/Crash

Here are the results of the first flight. Moderate damage but repairable. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836525

We will fly !!! Bob
Mar 20, 2008, 08:56 PM
Well my friend, there is something to be learned from all things in life. Don't be too grieved, it will fly.

Tony
Mar 20, 2008, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Well my friend, there is something to be learned from all things in life. Don't be too grieved, it will fly.

Tony
Bob, I agree with Tony. But we will still be on the edge of our seats waiting to see that video of it flying successfully. Which it will! Nelson (J3)
Mar 21, 2008, 12:28 AM
I was going to look at your video but it was an hour and 10 min download ( slow dial up at home ), that will have to wait till I am at the office ( broadband ).

I am sorry you had problems , better luck next time .
Mar 21, 2008, 02:56 AM
HEAVY METAL JUNKY

Bummer!!!!!!

Foamenator,

Hang in there man, it's that time of year where we stop making good decisions because we want, no...NEED to get a plane airborn

With your excellent build skills I am sure that you will have the Skymaster airworthy in no time

Chin up, calmer days lay ahead brother

Later,

Chuck
Mar 24, 2008, 12:18 PM
I got to see your vid today (30 sec download on broadband ) .

OUCH !!

Attempting a maiden in 25 mph gusts , may not have been a good idea . LOL