Jun 07, 2009, 10:03 AM
Thread OP
congrats on the maiden kal. i am glad you are enjoying the viper
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2009, 11:27 AM
DS JUNKY
Viper 500 makes a great sport plane. If you wanted it to be a responsive machine however I would modify the ailerons to be full span so you have good roll authority at all speeds. The plane tracks very precisely (it is a pylon racer) and is very easy to hustle around at speed. I know many guys complain about how difficult and squirly it is to fly the F5D pylon racers, as well as difficult to see for some. I own a 160mph Avonik D99 and a 120mph VIP and those planes take some real concentration to fly especially if you are flying low and popping turns. This plane is a breeze to fly in comparison to a F5D pylon racer.

If you set one up to go 150 you'd have a fast and fun plane to mess around with. With an electric power system and a tail wheel you can fly it like a sport plane whereas if you had equipped with a 150mph Nelson or Jett as they do in AMA 428 you would have no partial throttle and would have to start and launch the plane making it difficult to do as a one man operation. Make sure you beef up the landing gear however. You will be blowing the landing block all the time if you don't.
Jun 09, 2009, 01:32 AM
Z06kal:
Nice conversion, as always. I have a power system waiting for this one. The tail wheel is REALLY needed for sport flying. At field, there was an e q500 crashed during maiden take off because of lack of tail wheel.
BTW, what happens with the giant GP? Have you flown it? I copied your offset motor mount and it works perfectly. And cheap!
Tai
Jun 26, 2009, 06:17 PM
Thread OP
---
Jun 27, 2009, 02:37 AM
Chillaxin dude!
ordered a Turnigy 3248 1100KV motor for mine. Going to try and re-prop to give me a better take-off acceleration. I think the inrunner with a 7" prop is a bit too small for oomph off the line. But good when it's up on step... I have also ordered 2 of Don Stegall's Smasher 500 kits (glass fuse/composite tail, Foam/carbon/balsa wing), but they will be stinkies. Might get a third fuse and convert it to accept the Viper wing and electrify that one....

http://www.houseofpylon.com/Q500/Smasher/Smasher.aspx
Nov 18, 2012, 08:44 AM
Thread OP
Hi , I. Am going to build another e viper. Who makes the best high c rated batteries? I am looking for 65c rated lipos.
Nov 18, 2012, 10:37 AM
"Have that removed!"
I've had great results with ThunderPower in my Sunracer and my F5D Viper. Also just bought some Gens Ace "Pete" series for a couple of my Rifles. The Gens Ace have only a couple of flights each, but seem to be working superbly as well.

Tim
Latest blog entry: Latest blog entry
Nov 18, 2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster
ordered a Turnigy 3248 1100KV motor for mine. Going to try and re-prop to give me a better take-off acceleration. I think the inrunner with a 7" prop is a bit too small for oomph off the line. But good when it's up on step... I have also ordered 2 of Don Stegall's Smasher 500 kits (glass fuse/composite tail, Foam/carbon/balsa wing), but they will be stinkies. Might get a third fuse and convert it to accept the Viper wing and electrify that one....

http://www.houseofpylon.com/Q500/Smasher/Smasher.aspx
This motor is a great combo with 5S 2700's and a 9 x 9 apc E prop. Should turn in the 15-16K range and be in the 125-130mph range. I flew a Lanier Predator with one on 4S and it as around 110mph on a 9 x 7.5 prop. The current was in the low 40 amp range with that set-up. Never pursued 5S with it but tested on the ground and it was pretty hot on the 9 x 9 and 5S. If memory serves, was pulling just over 60 amps static.

The Smasher is a great airframe. Should really haul with an e power system.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Nov 18, 2012, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaboy92hatch
Hi , I. Am going to build another e viper. Who makes the best high c rated batteries? I am looking for 65c rated lipos.
I really like the NanoTech 65-130C 2700's. I use the 4s packs in EF-1 and they work well.

Think I need to put (2) of them in series in a Q-500 and that would be fun. Shoot for a 9 x 9 @ 18-20K and hang on.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, IN
Nov 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Unfortunately the Smasher deal never came off.. I ended up going with Dawgonits from Matney models... But racing IC Q500 (Aussie version). I think a composite fuse is a better solution for electric - less stuff internal to get in the way of batteries etc, plus they are tougher Joe..

The secret with the E-Q500 is to keep them as light as you can - don't overbattery.
Nov 19, 2012, 03:48 AM
"Unfortunately the Smasher deal never came off.. I ended up going with Dawgonits from Matney models... But racing IC Q500 (Aussie version). I think a composite fuse is a better solution for electric - less stuff internal to get in the way of batteries etc, plus they are tougher."

Are you buying the composite fuse or makeing?

"The secret with the E-Q500 is to keep them as light as you can - don't overbattery."

What size/weight do you recomend?

Thanks, Eric
Nov 19, 2012, 04:23 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Buying the fuse & cores from Matney Models:

http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html

He does a fuse that takes a Viper wing too.

Best success I had with the Viper was using 6S 2200 30C zippy packs,100A ESC, Turnigy SK3548 1100 motor & a Bolly Cf prop (9.25"dia - unsure of the pitch). But started racing glow just to be in the club pointscore. Also quicker to turn around the IC model (was a pain taking the wings off to swap packs. Model was till overweight for the class.. but made the runtime for a heat.
Last edited by BulletMaster; Nov 19, 2012 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply