Feb 16, 2009, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Hi Toni,
Have you had a chance to fly the viper anymore? Mine is packes away.

Joe
to remove ads between posts
Feb 16, 2009, 07:14 PM
Chillaxin dude!
Joe.... na, it's still sitting in the corner... I had to work over the weekend, so no playtime for me. Might try and get it repaired today or tomorrow.

looks like your having fun with your new hotliner.... sweet looking ship!
Feb 16, 2009, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
The zoom is fun but I need a heavier set up so it will go faster. it does OK but slows pretty fast.

Joe
Feb 17, 2009, 08:55 AM
Chillaxin dude!
all repaired (except the endbell on the motor). Man the glue on the Viper is super cheesy! They put the undercarriage block in with a non-hardening PVA I think. All epoxied now though

Also got to reset the tailplane incidence....
Feb 17, 2009, 09:01 AM
If you could let us know how much shim it takes for the tailplane incidence.
Have seen threads that say 1/16"

Thanks John.
Feb 17, 2009, 09:14 AM
Chillaxin dude!
John...

yep, will keep you updated. Just trying to decide if I will setup by old fashioned method, or go and buy an incidence meter for a bit over $100 AUS.
Feb 17, 2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the gear and wheels info BulletMaster
Feb 18, 2009, 03:49 AM
Chillaxin dude!
well... she flew again today.... I think it might take me a little while to get comfortable with this one... But it does look good in the air... Solved my spinning into the ground problem (ironed the covering down properly). Sum total of previous damage : some epoxy + an APC prop (plus slightly dented spinner).

And the 1/16" spacer at the back of the tailplane (both sides of the V) seems to be pretty close. Tracks reasonably straight now.
Feb 18, 2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks BulletMaster,i'll start with 1"16 go from there. Got a Jett 40 for mine should be
able to haul it fairly well.

Thanks John.
Feb 18, 2009, 06:38 AM
Chillaxin dude!
flybaby... I think there is a fair variation in the kits. Best bet is to block the fuse on a flat bench until the wing is level (ie trailing edge height to bench = centre of leading edge height to bench). then get a rectangular bit of wood/plastic/CF (must be parallel and square) that fits between the V-Tail and measure front and back height to bench. This is a good way of setting the incidence. I'd check yours before putting the packers in.
Feb 18, 2009, 09:22 AM
Aileron controls Q500
Feb 18, 2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks BulletMaster will do.
Feb 22, 2009, 08:54 AM
Chillaxin dude!
woohoo!! another flight today... starting to get used to this bird now... Had a few ex-pylon guys checking it out too.... good positive comments from them. Even though it is heavy, a few guys remarked how light it seemed to fly. Just had a bit of a moment when I had been waiting for a while to let the jet guys have their flights, finally a break, so I went up. Ya think they could give me 5 minutes of airspace to myself... nope... inconsiderate b***ards! So I landed quick smart and went off fuming. Serves me right for trying to fly on a Sunday I guess....
Mar 01, 2009, 06:39 AM
Chillaxin dude!
ok... took the Viper out again today. I was helping one of our club members with his F3D pylon + his F400 pylon.... awesome! Got my mate to have a look at the Viper (wanted him to have a fly, but he is mode IV and I'm mode II). Basically was trying to get an idea of speed/performance comparisons with the current generation of Q500 planes that he sometimes races. Hard to do a comparison, but he said that it was definately in the ballpark... woohoo!! So now it's practice time for me... time to start flying from the centre of the triangle... totally different experience to flying from the sideline. Starting to get a bit keen on the whole Q500 thing.
Mar 18, 2009, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Hi Toni,
How are you likeing the e Viper? I need to break mine out fix it and start flying it again.

Joe

Quick Reply