Feb 06, 2008, 03:16 PM
Discussion

Walkera 4G3 CP - 6 channel sub micro sized heli!

The long awaited Walkera 4G3 sub microCP Heli must be getting closer to release
I it will be on display at the Nürnberg toy fair starting February 7th.
I met someone who has had one in their hands but would not say too much.

So it is probably time to give it its own thread starting by summarising the scraps of information and catalog pictures available so far.

On show at Nürnburg Toy Fair

First Pictures

First pictures from catalog

More details...

Please post new Info on the 4G3 here as it tends to get lost in the HUGE 4#3 thread.

Happy Landings
Last edited by fast4buy; Nov 29, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2008, 03:20 PM
Metal Magician
When can I buy spares? I need some small blade grips and such

Dave
Feb 20, 2008, 03:11 PM
Back in the game.
cool, release date?
Feb 21, 2008, 01:29 AM
that's so strange i just talked with walkera to place my wholesale order and they said there were no plans for a 4G3??
what's up with that?
-johnw
Feb 21, 2008, 04:42 AM
Trying To Takeoff
John, they told me that it will be in month or two.
K.
Feb 21, 2008, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by salat
John, they told me that it will be in month or two.
K.
i wonder why they gave me a differen't story?
thanks, john
Feb 21, 2008, 05:17 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
I have been examining the head as closely as possible from the pictures. In my opinion the upper swash and flybar anti-rotation/washout arms/bars may have a problem with wear (the flybar moves up and down for every rotation if there is cyclic input).

I guess I can't turn off the cynical engineer in me, looking for mods to do already!

-Oobly
Feb 21, 2008, 05:22 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Looks like you can move the flybar to blade holder ball links on the flybar which will make it quite adjustable. Nice.

I wonder if it will have enough oomph on a single cell and Losi brushless to do 3D? I REALLY hope so!

-Oobly
Feb 21, 2008, 05:43 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Found this on a South African site:

"Shanghai Model Expo

Walkera exhibited at the Shanghai Exhibition Center, 2-4 June 2007. The Expo was opened by various officials and an impressive aerial rocket display filled the sky and rained multi- coloured confetti over the crowds below signaling that the expo was officially open. The highlight of the expo was the impressive stand staffed by the highly competent Walkera Management and Staff.
On display was the current Walkera product range (Nitro and Electric). New models on show were the re-designed 5#6, new 4#3(Fixed pitch) and 4G3(3D) range of micro helis. The Upgraded nitro model 83 with new Aluminum Head design is available as a RTF unit with the new 703 Digital Radio."

From this page:

http://www.walkerasa.com/news/news.htm

I haven't been able to find any 'real' picture of the 4g3, though...

-Oobly
Feb 21, 2008, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly
Looks like you can move the flybar to blade holder ball links on the flybar which will make it quite adjustable. Nice.

I wonder if it will have enough oomph on a single cell and Losi brushless to do 3D? I REALLY hope so!

-Oobly
It will not have enough power. The 4g3 is bigger and much heavier. The losi was only an emergency solution for the 4#3 because it fits the heli and the weight and power on a single cell is ok.

I think Walkera will have lots of problems to get enough power out of a single cell. Other than that if they don't improve the mechanical precision of the little servos and the head, the ccpm system will work very bad.

I consider the 4#3 already a nightmare. Tons of things that are not the way they are supposed. I could have made a much better heli from scratch in the same time it took me to modify things on the 4#3.

I will pass the 4g3 and save my time and nerves for designing and making first a better 4#3 sized fp (to substitute the 4#3 and satisfiy my wish to fly in the house). Then I will continue with a equal sized CP. After that I will try a semi scale five bladed hughes 500 at the same size (which will be a real challenge and lots of fun).
Feb 21, 2008, 07:33 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by spainman
It will not have enough power. The 4g3 is bigger and much heavier. The losi was only an emergency solution for the 4#3 because it fits the heli and the weight and power on a single cell is ok.

I think Walkera will have lots of problems to get enough power out of a single cell. Other than that if they don't improve the mechanical precision of the little servos and the head, the ccpm system will work very bad.

I consider the 4#3 already a nightmare. Tons of things that are not the way they are supposed. I could have made a much better heli from scratch in the same time it took me to modify things on the 4#3.

I will pass the 4g3 and save my time and nerves for designing and making first a better 4#3 sized fp (to substitute the 4#3 and satisfiy my wish to fly in the house). Then I will continue with a equal sized CP. After that I will try a semi scale five bladed hughes 500 at the same size (which will be a real challenge and lots of fun).
Darn. It has the potential to be either a total nightmare or a very cool heli... Or maybe a little of both

If it ever gets released. Will have to wait and see.

Cool! Have you seen Dave's new submicro project? Interesting pitch mechanism: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810141

-Oobly
Last edited by oobly; Feb 21, 2008 at 07:39 AM.
Feb 21, 2008, 07:44 AM
Metal Magician
Hey Oobly, did you figure out the pitch mech yet?
I just want the 4G3 spares to be released so I can steal the good bits
Dave
Feb 21, 2008, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly
Cool! Have you seen Dave's new submicro project? Interesting pitch mechanism: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810141

-Oobly
Yes I saw that. Using a inner shaft (?) instead of ccpm is nothing new. Seeing how bad all the submicro servos center and the huge amount of play in the gear is, a mechanical mixing may be the only solution to get a small cp heli working satisfactory. I will try the heavier d47 servos instead and move the weightsavings to other parts. Most people say that these are the best servos around in the sub 5g range.
Feb 21, 2008, 07:58 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by small.planes
Hey Oobly, did you figure out the pitch mech yet?
I just want the 4G3 spares to be released so I can steal the good bits
Dave
A bit off topic, but not too much as it deals with a submicro CP heli...

Hehe... can you smell smoke?

I figure it is something like this: Pivot on inner shaft (sticking out the top of the head), arm connected to pivot with a link to the swash on one side and link to the blade holder on the other? Kind of like a bell-hiller mixing arm. Kind of....

-Oobly
Feb 21, 2008, 08:13 AM
Metal Magician
Yes, inner pitch control shaft moves a pitch head up and down which is linked to mixer arms that mix pitch and swash at the blade holders

Dave

Quick Reply