Feb 07, 2008, 11:58 PM
Thread OP

All the Big Pieces

Of course when there's this many big pieces done you just have to put it all in a pile and take a couple pictures.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2008, 01:05 AM
Keep off the Grass!!

Welshmen Know More Than......

The visual beauty of Wales up that way instills a mind with the art of perception, Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Dave
Before they joined the circus Axel flew a Jenny, Waldo a Standard.

The Standard has swept wings with inverted-V kingposts, a greater gap and a different rudder. It was used for the barn and street scenes, and in the "changing planes" sequence, where the two types appear side by side for comparison.

Some Tiger Moths fitted with Jenny-style wings and tails were used in crash scenes.
Found my old dusty VHS of the film I recorded when I lived up in Mynitho (Pwllheli) years ago.

NBG! Better hunt down a DVD!

Another cranky beaut from your "Catalogue of Good Aviation Taste", Pat.

The unfortunate Axel's "customised" wire wheeled Chipmunk looked an interesting subject....

Ade
Feb 08, 2008, 09:32 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldguy
I think it was Axel's I remember the most, when he dumped it into the lake. Mind you, I was only 13 at the time! Seems like 35 years ago, wait it a tick, it is!
The airplane dumped into the lake is a Tiger Moth.
Feb 08, 2008, 07:44 PM
Vintage Nut
So is the one crashed into the flag poles. It was supposed to come down among balsa poles rigged for the purpose, but continued into hardwood poles and did itself mucho damage.

IIRC, the builder/pilot/crasher of the modified Chipmunk was Ezra.
Feb 09, 2008, 09:37 AM
North East England
I love those 'bare bones' shots, Pat. I'm always impressed with your construction techniques - just the bare minimum of wood required to do the job.

Steve
Feb 11, 2008, 10:14 PM
Thread OP

Installing the Rudder and Elevator Controls

The servos were mounted in the standard fashion in the front cockpit for easy access. The elevator cable control unit was assembled and mounted in the rear fuselage and all the control cables run in. The elevator will be driven by a pushrod to keep input nice and positive. then the tail planes were taped in place and the cables connected up to mark their exact exit locations for reference after covering.

At the rate things are going, it won't be long before it'll be time to cover!

PAT
Feb 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
Speaking of "Bare Bones" shots, the Yanks Air Museum in Chino, CA have finished the restoration of their J-1 and left it uncovered. Pretty!

They also have a Jenny in "Bare Bones" and another one covered.

Gerry
Feb 13, 2008, 12:19 AM
Very nice Pat, gotta love those "skeleton" shots. In a way, it's a shame to cover all of that effecient wood structure up, but then the end results will no doubt justify that small sacrifice.

Watching with interest!

AmpAce
Feb 15, 2008, 08:55 PM
Thread OP

Fitting the Plastic Parts

Since this one will be OX equipped, the front cowl had to be reworked a bit to elininate the indent for the Hall-Scott engine. Otherwise, all the parts were trimmed to fit and painted.
Feb 15, 2008, 09:01 PM
Thread OP

Covering Goes On Next

The model was covered with yellow Litefilm. The highlights were done with Insignia Yellow, and the entire model dusted with Gunship Gray. Then a light coat of Krylon Clear Satin was sprayed on the model.

All the plastic was glued in place with the exception of the upper cowl since it will be releived for the engine detail. The next step will be to get the control cables hooked up, then it'll be time to rig the wings.

PAT
Feb 15, 2008, 11:34 PM
Kansas is windy.
That's beautiful Pat. About the dusting of gray- you did this to knock down the yellow color a little, or for another reason? Just curious.

Phil
Feb 16, 2008, 10:31 AM
It flew once before...
Pat ,

Beautiful as always

Watched the movie not long ago ...its got me thinking

-John
Feb 16, 2008, 12:09 PM
Thread OP
Phil, The gray dusting is to give the model a bit of a "dirty" look. These old birds lived a hard life and rarely were the victim of a good scrubbing down. Will also be adding some grimey black oil streaking on the belly.

PAT
Feb 21, 2008, 09:25 AM
Thread OP

Rigging the Wings

Got the J-1 up on the jig and rigged the wings yesterday. From here, it's getting down to the details.
Feb 21, 2008, 12:20 PM
Sweet Pat.............just plane SWEET!

Dale

Quick Reply