The Great Waldo Pepper Standard J-1 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 06, 2008, 09:17 AM
Build Log

The Great Waldo Pepper Standard J-1

Probably the two best known J-1's around were "Miss Mabel" from The Rocketeer, the one flown by the Great Waldo Pepper. Both great movies, and cool airplanes to boot.

So, a second J-1 is going together in the colors of Waldo Pappers's airplane. This one will differ in that it was OX powered rather then the Hall-Scott engine used on the first p-type. Should be a fun project.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2008, 09:20 AM

Preliminary Sub-Assemblies

The build began with bowing up the wingtips, tail and rudder outlines. The the landing gear and cabane struts were shaped up, and the landing gear assembled and soldered together.
Feb 06, 2008, 09:22 AM

Building the Tail Section

The rudder and horizontal stabilizer was framed up, shaped and sanded, and the hinges added.
Feb 06, 2008, 09:23 AM

Building the Bottom Wing

The bottom wing was framed and shaped, and the final detail sanding done. The first p-type uncovered some fit problems, none of which occured since the corrections were made durring the first build. So far, so good!
Feb 06, 2008, 09:26 AM

Starting the Top Wing

Got started on the top wing late in the day and got the ribs and spars pretty well assembled. Hope to finish the top wing assembly today. More to come!

PAT
Feb 06, 2008, 10:48 AM
Pat

Here is a pic of Hurst Bowers with his Standard some years ago that I thought you might enjoy. Also a photo of the same Standard flown by Don Srull a few weeks ago.

Pat
Last edited by Pat Daily; Feb 06, 2008 at 10:33 PM.
Feb 06, 2008, 06:38 PM
Canvas Falcons Forever
Hi Pat,
It's great to see a Standard getting modeled--and your build looks very very good.
That particular Standard we see in Waldo Pepper has made a few other appearances in Hollywood! What comes to mind besides The Rocketeer is The Spirit of St. Louis and Thoroughly Modern Millie. However, for me, there's only one color scheme, and that's Waldo's.
Feb 06, 2008, 08:46 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
Hey Pat! That's a Hisso, Waldo's bird!
I believe the plane used in The Great Waldo Pepper, The Rocketeer and Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world are the same airplane.
Feb 07, 2008, 09:42 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger_i
Hey Pat! That's a Hisso, Waldo's bird!
I believe the plane used in The Great Waldo Pepper, The Rocketeer and Its a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad world are the same airplane.

It is, once owned by Frank Tallman. Frank and Paul Mantz owned the Movieland of the Air museum where the airplane was kept. It was disbanded after Paul was killed during filming of "Flight of the Phoenix".

If you look close in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, you'll see Frank.
Feb 07, 2008, 11:07 AM
I eat glue
I thought the plane in Waldo was a Jenny, don't recall the swept back wings.
Feb 07, 2008, 01:46 PM
Vintage Nut
Before they joined the circus Axel flew a Jenny, Waldo a Standard.

The Standard has swept wings with inverted-V kingposts, a greater gap and a different rudder. It was used for the barn and street scenes, and in the "changing planes" sequence, where the two types appear side by side for comparison.

Some Tiger Moths fitted with Jenny-style wings and tails were used in crash scenes.
Feb 07, 2008, 02:25 PM
Jungmeister 55
There was also a Bucker Jungmeister fitted with a Lycoming instead of the radial, used in the sequence were Ernst Kessler buzzes the announcer's stand at the show doing a four point roll followed by a spin...great stuff!!!

Gerry.
Feb 07, 2008, 02:28 PM
I eat glue
I think it was Axel's I remember the most, when he dumped it into the lake. Mind you, I was only 13 at the time! Seems like 35 years ago, wait it a tick, it is!
Feb 07, 2008, 10:50 PM

Finishing Up the Top Wing

Finshed the framing on the top wing, got it all shaped and sanded and the ailerons hinged. The Center section was modified for the cutout, and the joinery set up. At this point it's ready to mount the servos and then cover.
Feb 07, 2008, 10:55 PM

Framing the Fuselage

The fuselage frames were built up and joined. Then the firewall and motor mount were assembled and fitted into the fuselage. The Axi 2808 fits just like the 2409, but needed a slightly larger firewall to mount. Lengthwise, it's identical.

From here it's time to mount up the servos and set up the controls, fit the cabane mounts and bottom wing reciever tubes.