May 01, 2008, 02:12 PM
A buddy at the maiden will be well good I think. Long way to go yet.

I am off air till Sunday probably..heading off to the first show - Rougham, near Bury in Suffolk, if anyone wantst to drop by for a cuppa and a natter.
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2008, 03:02 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
Well, Stevepilot, where were you when I needed you this afternoon? - finally got the weather/wind right to put the long-awaited maiden on the Salto Everything I hoped it would be.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=153
Last edited by Roger Lombard; May 01, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
May 01, 2008, 03:21 PM
aka : SteveBB..
Sorry mate.. did you get my e mail? Still off work convalescing and car less for the moment. Hopefully the latter will be rectified tomorrow or saturday. Tell you what diazapam is a hell of a good way of relaxing!
May 01, 2008, 05:25 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
Rear upper fuselage is now planked. Vintage one the sheeting is very slightly incorrect but to be honest I'm not sure its worth worrying about. There was about 1/16" too much at the front and as you can see from the pics we're a bit short at the rear. However if it had been exactly right, nevertheless to have got it to fit snug at the rear would have required bending the sheeting more than I think it would have liked. I wet the outer surfaces only and it wasn't too difficult but it only took a couple of minutes to make a filler for that gap at the rear. You couldn't laser it because the edges have to be chamfered internally.

Note to other inexperienced modellers who may follow me. Once you get the structure off the board and you may be tugging to get pins out or whatever be aware that there are three unsupported members at the front and the rear end isn't too robust at this stage either. The more observant of you may notice that the front upper spine forward of F5 is missing . I'll put it back when the rest of the front is ready to go on.

Also, again to the inexperienced like me, watch how much CA you're sloshing about building the upper half or when you come to fit the lower (b) formers you could find you're going to have to do some clearance work which will change what would have been a few minutes work into about half an hour of muttering to yourself. Ask me how I know this And it was the more frustrating because vintage one's design really does (so far ) just fall together with great accuracy - it was me, not him, who gave me the extra work - self inflicted injury
May 01, 2008, 08:25 PM
Ok, that is one thing to correct then. I didn't expect perfect sheeting but it should have been better than that, and will be.

There is 3/32" of sheeting anyway BECAUSE there will always be the odd bit that doesn't snug up, at which point the good ole sanding block comes into play - plenty of meat and no chance of wearing through. Any splits and gaps get the V shaped sliver and PVA here as well

Don't worry about the snapped spine part, It's only there - as is everything else rearwards of the ply crutch - to support the sheeting which is all the strength anyway. You will have to be a shade more careful to get the front and rear assemblies lined up, that's all.

Good building speed I must say. You will have to berak off and make a tailplane soon..

May 02, 2008, 03:26 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
If you want to make it closer deduct 1/16" from the forward vertical height of SH1 and add 1/8 - 3/32" to the rear vertical height.

If it looks like good building speed that's more of a commentary on your design than my ability. I only work on it in short bursts. I'd say that if you set out to focus on it you could knock seven bells out of the build in a week-end, particularly if you were using cyano wherever you could. I like to use it where I want a fast "tack" but my expertise at fastening myself to the component limits my enthusiasm for it.
May 02, 2008, 03:50 AM
I found PVA to be faster than I thought.

With yer typical eggcrate by the time you have slotted that last piece in, the first bit is dry, and anyway, you need a break.

So wheny ou get to the wings, just put it all together, and by the time the last pin is in, the first pin will be coming out. Saves pins ;-)
May 02, 2008, 07:51 AM
Very nice work guys. I can't wait for the end result!

J
May 02, 2008, 08:31 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn
Very nice work guys. I can't wait for the end result!

J
You and me both!

Having said that, it was while I was removing one of the 1/8" ply formers that I realised what a great dis-service vintage one is doing to some traditional aeromodellers here. There are, no doubt, those who would have regarded the evening as well spent to retire to the workshop or basement with a beer and spend a happy hour or two with a fret saw cutting something like this out from the raw ply.

Me, I would sooner eat my own fingers than do that so, as long as I'm not alone in how I feel, I guess that our preference is well met by what he's done. I'm not a regular balsa basher but this is actually satisfying to me. Cutting the bits out - no doubt a joy to some, would bore the off me. Plus it would eat the hell out of my flying (and fishing) time.
May 02, 2008, 10:13 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
OK vintage one - small query.

Fuselage instruction 7 says "..............add lower balsa parts S2 and upper balsa parts S3. S3 is the rear upper spine part number. I think you meant to say S1. I'm showing you a picture with the parts S1 in place and I'm 99.999999% sure these have got to be what you mean although they are a tad short and I've tried to show you photographically that everything is snugged up properly and square.

I have to go mow the lawn anyway so I'm going to take a break.

Btw I ran the snakes into the rear fuselage just to check everything and another extremely minor point is that because (I guess) the laser cut in ply is finer than in balsa the snake holes in the ply formers are a tad tight. I ran a 3.5mm drill through them and they're fine now, as are the holes in the balsa formers which were a good snug fit as lasercut.
May 04, 2008, 05:49 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
Time for a progress report. Good news about the current build but a Sorry Story Of Great Stupidity to follow...............

Front and rear fuselage sub assemblies now joined to make the whole. It's a bit like getting a piece of flat pack furniture to go together so what I did was to glue the major coupling members F15 to the front end first. Carefully check they were aligned and leave the glue to set before coupling to the rear part. No problems and I then re-inserted with a couple of gussets the front end of the spine that I broke off earlier.

All lined up well. Then assembled the hatch cover. Vintage one there are a couple of minor fit details here which I'll email you about separately. No big deal. As a testimony to the thoroughness of the design the hatch has four gussets. They're laser cut. Laser cut gussets, how cool is that . Mind you it took me about three times to long to find them in the balsa forest of cut sheets as it would have done to make my own

Decided it was time for an assembly photo and the bedroom floor came to mind as a good clear space. No tasteless comments please. I then decided that as a contrast it might be interesting to include some pictures of the part built fuselage from the original 200% kit that started this thread before Vintage One decided he was going for a ground-up redesign. It would be an interesting contrast between two kit designs as near as wotsit fifty years apart.

Now here's the Learning Point. Before you decide to sit on the bed to contemplate the position of the new fuselage and how to best photograph it...........BEFORE you do that............take a moment to remind yourself where you put the other fuselage. Otherwise, ask me how I know this .... you will lower yourself onto the bed to the accompaniment of a sickening sound of multiple balsa fractures

What an unspeakable

I suppose it would be repairable with about thirty gussets but the pressure is now really on for the new one to fly!!
Last edited by Roger Lombard; May 04, 2008 at 07:11 AM.
May 04, 2008, 06:57 AM
aka : SteveBB..
Looking very good so far Roger, but least said about you breaking your backbone on a balsa fus the better , Get well soon. The damaged one looks like one of my better landings.
May 04, 2008, 11:32 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
Got the snakes installed in the fuselage but before starting the mega sheeting and sanding job I decided to give myself some light relief with the tail feathers.

Here's the tailplane. Note that not only is the trailing edge/hinge face slotted to take each tailplane rib but they've even lasercut the slots for the hinges if you decide to go for centre rather than top-mounted hinges. My jury is still out on that and the decision is likely to be driven by considerations of ease of covering. My skill in covering is even less than my skill in building. Only decision reached so far is I'm thinking "antique" solartex.
May 04, 2008, 03:38 PM
Ay up it's warped
I must say I am amazed at the speed of the build Roger. The Old Moa looks from the photograps easily repaired with bashing it at this early stage

"I decided to give myself some light relief with the tail feathers." Can I make the tasteless comment at this point?
May 04, 2008, 04:23 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
Lol! I thought as I wrote it that someone might pick that up and I should have known it'd be you

Quick Reply