Apr 22, 2008, 12:45 PM
Roger,
Thanks for the link! I will be following your progress. Looks like it will be a great kit, I would like to know when they will be available to ship to the us so as to purchase one for myself! Do you think that this would be able to launch from a high start? At our club we don't have any towing, although we do have one guy that put a cradle on his telemaster.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2008, 01:44 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
You can always come to Richmond when we tow......or up to Horsefeathers.... TB knows the drill.
Apr 22, 2008, 05:14 PM
Where do you guys fry in Richmond? It would be great to meet a few other people who fly sailplanes, the club that I go to has maybe 2 or 3 guys that fly. Everyone else is on electric or nitro kind of a buzz kill when they show up and start making a bunch of noise.
-J
Apr 22, 2008, 05:36 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
We fly sailplanes at a field north of Ashland....there is a group that fly's in Louisa......I'll PM you with an email address for them.
Apr 22, 2008, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquinn
Looks like it will be a great kit, I would like to know when they will be available to ship to the us so as to purchase one for myself!
The gods of Balsa being favorable, we will cut teh kit tomorrow and get it to Roger same day/thursday.

However there is some doubt whether the Balsa gods are favorable, as the UKs biggest supplier had a boat sink or something earlier this year, and everyone is playing catch up. Plus of course its nearly show season and all the balsa has gone into little Replikits for stock..

If te delivery promised turs up, it will be cut .

As far as the rest of the timescales go, the next thing is to build one, and that lies with Roger. There are bound to be little errors that will need correcting, and parts that got screwed up by human error (mine!) Plus we need to make up a canopy mould and pull some samples off that.

Once the thing flies tho, we should be able to tidy up the loose ends and go into solid production.

For the USA the slightly safer route is to go via Chucks Hobbies, and it should be slightly cheaper too, as we ship in reasonable bulk to him, and often without packaging, so the volume is smaller: he boxes and ships and adds strip etc from there. But you can buy direct at a slight shipping premium. I can probably organize a 'short kit' as well: that may make sense if you can source the hardware locally.

As far as Hi-starting goes, I have very little experience of what stresses it places. Again we should with Rogers proto get some idea of the G loading the thing will take by loading the wing till it creaks..

I would say shipping will start around July or so. It shouldn't take that long, but it always seems to..mainly because of other unrelated things going on!
Apr 23, 2008, 01:41 AM
Registered Slopeaphile
bungee-ing a Moa! I think you'll definitely need to use a bridle from the wings somewhere. Stops the stress high points at the spar / fuselage interface where vintage gliders typically have problems.
Apr 28, 2008, 02:42 PM
Well the kit is cut, and boy did it take a long time..all those little riblets in the wing. Tied up the biggest laser for an hour and a half. Sadly that has smashed my price target and the kit is now on the system at a calculated 127.95. It may end up nearer 135. It filled the biggest box we have, completely.

So it's over to Roger for the build..
Apr 28, 2008, 08:26 PM

Aware of this kit?

A Minimoa 2A, tandem two seater is kitted in Japan. http://www.thermal-kobo.jp/item/inde...=grp01&level=3
1/7.5 scale with 2282 mm span, built up wings and FG fuse. It may be a bit pricey at 33600 yen, retail, but their kits are superb and fly very well also.
Apr 29, 2008, 04:51 AM
That kit looks pretty good.

I guess I didn't fully appreciate that cost is likely to scale with size pretty linearly. Material cost goes up as the cube of the size, but actual cut times are linear or a bit more - either more ribs the same size, or fewer but thicker ones for example.

In this case the major contributors were a half sheet of ply whittled out for formers and crutches, all those little riblets and pre-formed spars, especially the Bass parts. Bass cuts SLOW.

Comparing with an equivalent 50" model, the costs are about double, so it really isn't that bad. The good news is that actual operator time wasn't high: Once loaded up, we let it chew its way through and got one with other things.

Mike said he was happy enough to tie up a laser for that time as long as ultimately it paid for itself! Or if more people want kits like this, another laser cutter of comparable size. They go for about 12000 .
Apr 30, 2008, 07:59 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
The bird has landed safely (or at least the bits have) so as soon as I get the follow-up chores from a 3 day business trip out of the way we'll get inside the box and see what gives............
Apr 30, 2008, 08:32 AM
Can't Wait!!
Apr 30, 2008, 11:06 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
Build is under way. What you see here is simply the upper formers of the rear fuselage together with the spine all glued in place on the rear horizontal crutch. Actual assembly time about five minutes. I owe it to Vintage 1 to point out the knife is there simply to carry out some very minor cleaning up - the laser cutting is excellent.

Note to V1 - it's of no consequence but the horizontal crutch members S6 aren't numbered.

I also have to point out that it's a reflection of my lack of experience/resource in building models this way that this will also be an excercise in How Small A Board Can You Build This Plane On?
Apr 30, 2008, 12:28 PM
You mean on the plan?

They certainly are on the wood!

The next stage - putting some sheeting over that lot to stabilise, is where I really need feedback on whether the sheet parts fit. they need to finish half way over the formers.

You also have to do the tailplane and the connecting snake stuff before you can finish the fuselage - otherwise it will be a fair nightmare to get the snake inner in. Not impossible though.

Once the sheeting is on that rear crutch, you wont be building the fuselage on the board at all. Everything else is 'in the hand' with maybe just a set square to make sure things are dead square.

I have NO idea now much space the wings need though. The final alignment of the gull anhedral break will I suppose need about 50" of space to prop the panel up properly.

The actual outer panels all fitted on a 36" sheet tho.

It's rather a strange feeling to see something that has lived only in my head, come together in real bits of wood. Gulp.
Apr 30, 2008, 02:56 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
You mean on the plan?

They certainly are on the wood!

What I want to know is how you managed to sneak here from your place, no small distance away, while I was having my meal, not only that but sneak into my shambles room and not only that but sneak the numbers onto the crutch members S6 and not only that but, damn, sneak away again too. I'd swear those parts were un-numbered earlier but hell you're right, at least the upward facing one is numbered...............

I'm going out in the morning to get some thinner pins to do the sheeting. That's it for tonight.
May 01, 2008, 07:41 AM
aka : SteveBB..
This is one of those, you just get the feeling will be right. And like all good things, starts with a mention of an idea of a passing thought. I'm looking forward to being there at the maiden of this Roger. This time, I promise I'll turn the camera off manual focus.. (ahem). Just need good weather-not asking for much!

Quick Reply