Feb 04, 2008, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Eflite Piper Pawnee - What are you doing with yours?

I'm surprised to see so little talk about this plane considering how universal it is...

Pictures! Videos! Anybody towed any gliders yet?!!!

to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2008, 07:42 AM
No towing as of yet, but that's the plan when the thermals start getting easier to find.

I have been flying mine from time to time and am amazed at how little power is required to keep her floating.

I'd like to inflict one particular modification, scale gear - for two reasons. First, it'll look better, and secondly - the provided gear is rock hard. Anything less than perfect results in an ugly bounce.
Feb 04, 2008, 08:09 AM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
plane might be a bit on the small side to do any towing, even the larger 80" version may be limited considering the all up weight around 8~9 pounds.

cooper998
Feb 04, 2008, 06:43 PM
I experienced some success towing up an Easyglider with a 48" WS, 25 ounce Herr Cub. Things got dicey when we tried to turn - (was R/E ship), but it hauled it up. Comparatively, the Pawnee is a beast.

I don't plan on towing anything much heavier than the Easyglider. And the Easyglider "scales" nicely with the Pawnee.
Feb 04, 2008, 07:39 PM
Electric Coolhunter
With the general rule of thumb of having a towplane that masses 50% more than the glider, both Pawnees from E-Flite will have some limitations on what can be towed.

Call it a 6 lb glider for the big one and a hair under 3 lbs for the little one.

You can tow bigger gliders, but they you will spend a lot of time on tow and every turn in the air while the glider is on tow can be a chance for more trouble, especially with the glider massing as much as the towplane.

The good news is that you can get some nice long scale tows....everything is a trade off....

I would certainly power up the bigger Pawnee to something like an an E-flite 60 for towing much of anything, though......that is one big model for an Power 46 or equivalent.....
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Feb 04, 2008, 09:04 PM
The sky is my playground.
You could modify and make it into a turbo Pawnee? Just saw this the other day...
Feb 04, 2008, 09:13 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine
You could modify and make it into a turbo Pawnee? Just saw this the other day...
That is actually an Air Tractor...good bit bigger than a Pawnee (not that it really matters...)

http://www.airtractor.com/

another fine aerospace proiduct from Texas!...
Latest blog entry: My 2021 event schedule
Feb 04, 2008, 10:38 PM
I tow gliders with my Pawnee.

Feb 04, 2008, 11:00 PM
Thread OP

Starting small...

If the gliders are light enough, it should be doable I think. I've got some ideas. I'm gonna start off with a Habicht slow-fly glider from hobby lobby that I've been sitting on for a while. its really light and only about 40 inches, but its a start. go up from there.

I plan to put a tow release on both aircraft.

Feb 06, 2008, 08:17 PM
The sky is my playground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
That is actually an Air Tractor...good bit bigger than a Pawnee (not that it really matters...)

http://www.airtractor.com/

another fine aerospace proiduct from Texas!...

Teaxs huh...funny. That's exactly where I saw it...in Beaumont.
Feb 07, 2008, 01:49 PM
2021 EDF Jet Jam June 10-12
That is a much nicer color scheme than what was chosen for the 1/5 scale Hangar 9 release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N726AC
I tow gliders with my Pawnee.

Feb 08, 2008, 11:44 PM
hi guys i have a question about this plane. i bought one a few days ago and when i put the push rods for the controls in they felt that they were to hard to move.. have any of you guys had this problem. i went to the hobby shop today and bought smalle .062 diameter wire and that seems to work perfect with it....
Feb 08, 2008, 11:54 PM
tom
going to try putting a drop box on her

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=783798
Feb 08, 2008, 11:56 PM
tom
try to use this
Feb 09, 2008, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy24
hi guys i have a question about this plane. i bought one a few days ago and when i put the push rods for the controls in they felt that they were to hard to move.. have any of you guys had this problem. i went to the hobby shop today and bought smalle .062 diameter wire and that seems to work perfect with it....

I had the same issue and found two things:

1) The covering needed to be trimmed at the aft exits
2) The plastic guides at the exits were too curvy

Even still, there is a small bit of friction on one side. I'm not certain, but think it may deserve a rework similar to yours. It seems to "hunt" a little when coming in for a landing.

Quick Reply