Jan 30, 2008, 07:30 PM
Manuel Hdez. Casas
Thread OP
Help!

Deweyville Special

Somebody knows the airplane De weyville Special?
I need photographies

Thanks

Manuel Hernández
Last edited by maheca; Jan 30, 2008 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2008, 08:31 PM
**** 37130 ****
A very nice example by G MAN from West Michigan.
Jan 31, 2008, 04:33 AM
My Deweyville from a long time ago. - minus cowl at the time.

Alas no longer with us due to my pulling up while inverted at low altitude - not recommended.

Irvine 60 up front

john
Feb 20, 2010, 01:25 PM

deweyville special

i have one of these great planes... it has flown and is now stripped ... w/out the engine and the struts are off and being re-built... and... it is available... for local pick-up only... i am going to put it on rc universe..

bill w
Last edited by billw_2360; Feb 20, 2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: mis-spelled words and i forgot the pics...
Feb 20, 2010, 02:07 PM
actually the more i look i think id like to keep it and try to put it all back together but... i have the manual... but no plans at all... anyone know where i can get plans??

bill w
Last edited by billw_2360; Feb 20, 2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling errors...
Feb 21, 2010, 04:04 AM
Hi Bill,

I have a set you could borrow if you cannot get a copy from someone in the USA/Canada. I live in the UK.

Let me know if you need mine

John
Feb 22, 2010, 12:46 AM
Just finished a Deweyville that i built from plans that actually were from John!

Just waiting for warm weather to maiden. Alot of fun to build, had to vary some components from the original but i am pleased with how it came out. Even if i had to make 2 cowls before i was satisfied

Hope you like it!
Mar 26, 2010, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John38
Hi Bill,

I have a set you could borrow if you cannot get a copy from someone in the USA/Canada. I live in the UK.

Let me know if you need mine

John
thanks i actually found the booklet and the one page plans... so i will strip it down and start over...
Mar 26, 2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trax540
Just finished a Deweyville that i built from plans that actually were from John!

Just waiting for warm weather to maiden. Alot of fun to build, had to vary some components from the original but i am pleased with how it came out. Even if i had to make 2 cowls before i was satisfied

Hope you like it!
i lvoe it... any chnace you could take some pics or a few more pics so i could look at some of the things you did to yours... thanks bill w
Jun 03, 2010, 11:57 PM
Canberra Girl
I have a Deweyville still in the box. Picked it up on a trade along with a bunch of Royal .40 Engines.
Dec 03, 2010, 12:04 PM
Always Ready!
I thought about picking this up and converting it to electric... but I already have too many other projects in the queue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Orline-D...item4aa6ae0bc6
Dec 03, 2010, 12:54 PM
Canberra Girl
The kit sold new for about $70.00, at least that's what the price tag on mine says. It looks like mine was originally sold in the mid-90's... but I am told this kit hasn't been made since the 1985 or so.
As an electric it should fly great. The high wing and because of the airfoil, makes it a floater.
I see there's only one bidder and he is bidding 10 bucks and that's an insult to the plane. I got mine for about $175 in trading stuff. From everything I have heard, it is a collectible, but many people who sell these Orline kits think they are plated in gold and want $300.00 or more for them. I wouldn't go more than $100-175. Mine is not for sale. I've built the Deweyville and have a Orline Buccaneer hanging in my living room which I built in 1989. Both planes are a fun build, but you may find the die-cutting more of a crunch and punch. I sanded all of my wing ribs down by 1/8 inch top and bottom and glued thicker rib caps. Made for a much stronger rib and nicer looking when covered.

I found my old Buccaneer in a garage sale about 2 years ago. I was lucky to get it back. It was a mess when I bought it for $8.00... I built five of these in the 80's. Sad to say, this one will never fly again. The wood is so dry from being kept in an attic. I do have the plans so another wouldn't be hard to build.
I had to replace several fuse cross pieces. When trying to take the old covering off the wing I found the wood under the covering was splitting. The guy who had this cut the main spar for some reason and epoxied the ends together. The stab was falling apart and the rudder was hanging by something that looked like a plastic hinge strip.

Attachment 3636418 Attachment 3636420

Good luck bidding on the Deweyville Special on eBay. It was and is a nice early flight period looking plane. Even with the trouble of having to do a lot of filling and cleaning up of the die cutting, it's not a bad kit to build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFb8CohFkRs < link to one powered by a OS 90 four stroke.

Just an afterthought. When I built mine, I used a larger corner block to reinforce the engine mount.

Rosie
Last edited by Propbuster1948; Aug 29, 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply