Aug 12, 2019, 09:30 AM
Slope Slope Slope
Based on that VARMS report it seems that the little directional antenna is unlikely.. which is a shame as that would have been a simpler solution.

It would have been lit up as it would be powered 24/7, but it's output would be virtually non-existant when idle.

If it really is these new transmitters installed late last year, we're pretty well out of luck as they radiate all directions.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2019, 09:46 AM
Blue Sky Mining
I'm actually a little concerned about 36 too. I fly a Speedo on a small hitec 5 ch FM receiver and I've noticed this year that if I point the antenna at it, it glitches. It was much worse last time I flew; to the point where I landed and was planning to replace it but the other rxs I have are too big to fit easily.
The test was done with a JR pcm RX and in my experience they are much better than the cheaper FM JRs and hitec rxs.
Aug 12, 2019, 09:51 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89
Based on that VARMS report it seems that the little directional antenna is unlikely.. which is a shame as that would have been a simpler solution.

It would have been lit up as it would be powered 24/7, but it's output would be virtually non-existant when idle.

If it really is these new transmitters installed late last year, we're pretty well out of luck as they radiate all directions.
The LEDs on the back were changing up and down from full to minimum so I reckon it was doing something.
I must admit I'm surprised that the little spectrum analyser is picking up nothing in our band. Could it be screening out the noise?
Aug 12, 2019, 06:56 PM

2.4ghz at Hollie

If the little spec analyser is not picking up anything and you are in close proximity then it is not transmitting on our band. As for transmitter output power rc transmitter wise most brands output 60 to 100 mw My frsky module in my JR PCM9XII transmitter puts out 80 mw and I am using the Higher db gain antennae on the module. Alas my Tancho locked on last command and bit the dust on the west slope. My Jeti puts out 100mw and still cannot do any good up there. Those NBN CO antennaes are pumping out 160 watts of power and that be the end of reliable flying at Hollie on 2.4ghz. Bloody shame as I have flown there for over 40 years even though I live in Geelong and it be a 80 minute drive to fly there. Cannot imagine what It would be like to be a local glider flier knowing that a lazy day at Hollie flying now be a thing of the past. Are there any other flyable sites up there that we can easily access? West/South West sites are hard to find.
Aug 12, 2019, 08:05 PM
Blue Sky Mining
Bugger. I also fly a JR PCM9XII with modules - 36MHz, DSM2 and FrSky.

Hollowback was a great site in general but especially for maidens with great lift and landing zones on the S / SW. And for me, during daylight savings, I could drop in after work for a quick relaxing fly when the wind was right.

Mt Black near Gordon is a great site in a SE / S for both frontside and DS but without the perfect landing zone of Hollowback - and SE is a rare wind direction. I'll have to try it with the wind further S.

There's another site I had my eyes on a while ago but didn't pursue. Time to follow up.
Aug 13, 2019, 09:15 AM
Slope Slope Slope
Besides Black Mount, next best option for us Ballarat locals is Camperdown realisticly.
But the extra hour each way vs Hollowback does make it more of a pre-planned deal.

As Nick said, a cheeky after work or spur of the moment fly is out of the question
Aug 13, 2019, 10:13 AM
608 km/h!
There are some other huge hills withing site of Hollow Back the would have never been liiked into just because hollow back was already there. Might just need to go and ask some farmers.
I dont think Mount Black will work in a southerly but it does have a North facing slope, its no HB though.
Aug 14, 2019, 06:08 AM
Slope Slope Slope
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18
There are some other huge hills withing site of Hollow Back the would have never been liiked into just because hollow back was already there. Might just need to go and ask some farmers.
I dont think Mount Black will work in a southerly but it does have a North facing slope, its no HB though.
Many of those are laden with trees, rocks, or poor access, hence why they aren't used. I have looked around myself in the past, and most options weren't that great.
Aug 16, 2019, 05:47 PM
getting thorney
Looks like philip island is the place to go now then.
Aug 16, 2019, 08:34 PM
Does anybody fly around Geelong area ?
Driving around it to get to Camperdown there looks to be lots of holes in the ground with almost vertical sides BUT are they out of bounds or just not used ?.
Maude has gone and there were lots of locals flying there in the last century
Also Bacchus Marsh used to have some good sites but that was at least 25+ years ago, bit rocky for landings but otherwise OK.
Aug 17, 2019, 03:34 AM
Have plane, will crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacky
Maude has gone
why has it gone?
Aug 18, 2019, 05:45 AM
Geelong is pretty much dead unless you have access to private farm sites or club sites.

Maude is still flyable.. but there is fence jumping at the lookout.
You may be able to get up the southern side of the fenceline but again.. all fenced off.

Some of the Maude locals like given flyers a hard time.. even though it is crown land.
But they are concerned re damage from jumping said fences.

It's a pity.. as the slope soaring community faded away to a dim memory when the Gliding Club was taken over by foam fliers.
Aug 18, 2019, 06:13 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwalch
Geelong is pretty much dead unless you have access to private farm sites or club sites.

Maude is still flyable.. but there is fence jumping at the lookout.
You may be able to get up the southern side of the fenceline but again.. all fenced off.

Some of the Maude locals like given flyers a hard time.. even though it is crown land.
But they are concerned re damage from jumping said fences.

It's a pity.. as the slope soaring community faded away to a dim memory when the Gliding Club was taken over by foam fliers.
What are the club sites around Geelong? And what what wind direction is good for Maude ?

There's some good looking hills out of Creswick but they all look to be farm land. Some door knocking is in my near future.
Aug 18, 2019, 04:31 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Probably not the issue, but worth mentioning - Steve up here reminded us recently how we had big problems up at Bald Knob, when we started using the aluminium body servos. It was a very real thing. Wondered if it was worth you guys trying Hollowback with some planes that only have plastic body servos, (maybe suss it out with foamies?) and see if it's the same?
Aug 19, 2019, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by batballs
What are the club sites around Geelong? And what what wind direction is good for Maude ?

There's some good looking hills out of Creswick but they all look to be farm land. Some door knocking is in my near future.
Maude is best for Westerly winds.

The big box thorn bush in front of the bird shaped lookout on the map was the spot to stand.
https://goo.gl/maps/ezR1Y2Si5RHiVo5d9

As for club sites.. there is one southerly flying site in the Barrabool Hills.. (again.. on private farm property) and a northerly flying one in Barrabool Hills (farm property) further back towards Geelong.

Most other places in the area have been tried and the farmers are just not keen.

Quick Reply