Aug 15, 2012, 08:12 AM
C'mon more Energy
Darn dude that sux.
Sock the fues the Timbuckerize the wing so she becomes a 3m DS sled.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2012, 05:33 AM
608 km/h!
Bad luck on the vento Simon! Crashing sucks- even worse when it's not yourself. Hope you can fix it
Sep 03, 2012, 04:35 AM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
It’s nice not to grow up. Rhys and I both made it to the middle slope at Shorncliffe at 5:20pm –in shadows and cold with the 12kt NNE breeze, off angle from the left but the lift was good. I chucked out the light Scratcho and Rhys put up a cheap Hobby King foamie scaley. Amazing value at about $70 including motor (and battery!) and I like the internal control system … simple and effective … but the wings are so warped that it needed almost full aileron to keep it in trim! And with its light weight and flexy wings …. err everything … it floated rather than carved! He got it doing all sorts of acrobatics nevertheless.

It wasn’t long before we were trying to land on the rocky, rotor-swirled ledge between the lip and the fence. Rhys’s first landing was into a tree, necessitating a monkey tree climb rescue. My first landing was a bewdy, softly into the grass, which gave me a confidence that was soon dispelled. The next ones were not so graceful! The final one involved a drop out of the shear falling onto a solid rocky outcrop. It was a bad sound, but the damage to the leading edge is really minor … again a plug for foam cores as it wouldn’t have been a pretty sight for a hollow moldie.

Rhys insisted I have a go of the HK foamie and I resisted. I don’t trust myself since I nearly destroyed Brett’s Bee and Tx aerial having a go at Larrikin the other day. I launched it then couldn’t feel the aileron stick while it arced into the lantana. Then I relaunched, all OK till it glitched … oh crap the aerial isn’t 2.4!! I tore the 36meg aerial out with such alacrity that I pulled the tip clean out of the end. Anyway, back to today … Rhys’s HK foamie flew much better than I expected! Very relaxing after the Scratcho and it also seemed nimble enough. But it was getting impossible to see the planes in the dark. Rhys pulled off a “backside landing” on the path, quite amazing, so he tried to repeat it … similar result except the fence somehow got in the way. Anyway it was all good fun.
Sep 03, 2012, 04:49 AM
Sounds like fun Andrew.

Dad and I headed up to Hollowback yesterday. Wind was N, NE at about 12-15knts. Lift off the North side is pretty crappy but I had my E typhoon with me and Dad has his Valenta E Volcano so we weren't too worried. Turned out to be not real fun at all with the mouldies so we basically spent 4 hours flying our Bees. We did a heap of racing with the leader calling the turns then thrashed around trying to kill each other. Was great fun. Plenty of "landings" as you tried to hug the little lips for extra speed.
Sep 03, 2012, 07:41 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Too funny. Great reports.
Sep 03, 2012, 08:02 PM
sleep hard
Yeah thanks guys. Great to see this thread still has some life in it.
Sep 03, 2012, 08:57 PM
less sleep more planes
Slope Aerobatic vid comp voting is happening again come and vote for your fav
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...622343&page=17
Sep 05, 2012, 04:15 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Did anyone manage to out-and-about in these big winds we're having down here in Vikkie today - and again tomorrow?

Looks like it's all predominantly North-ish, so I can't think of a lot of good places to fly in that (??)

BJ
Sep 07, 2012, 01:37 AM
Secret clown business
After that silliness the other week about 30" planes on the speed speed speed thread, where ZIPPER threatened to do a 30" Zipper, well it sounded like a good idea to me. So I modified the Zipper fuz to take the 30" Atom wing and here it is. It's very light (460g) and makes the Atom feel like a tank in comparison (short nose carrys lots of lead). I flew it for a while this arvo on a small dune down the beach near my place. It's maybe 30' high. The Zipper30 flew just fine in the narrow lift band. Maybe I'll get down the coast next week and chuck it off a proper cliff.
Sep 07, 2012, 03:28 AM
AvB
AvB
Ever seen a dog walk into a strange yard and strut around like it owns the place?? Well that was what the Willow did when I launched it at Shorncliffe.

I’ve flown some big planes at Shorncliffe before (Fazer, Caracho hybrid, etc), and it’s been fun for the adrenaline buzz and the show-off factor. But not much fun for the flying – they had that woody stiff feel, out of their element, like a big performance car in a parking lot. The Willow took to that small lift zone like that cocky dog. Totally comfortable. For a 2.75m F3F plane, I was hugely pleased with how comfortable it felt. It looked big, but didn’t feel big. It was more fun to fly than the Scratcho … huge endless looping, smooth rolls and carving F3F turns. My Vector doesn’t feel that good at Shorncliffe. True to say I’m more in love with the Willow as time goes on and I try it in more situations. It’s becoming my most recommended mouldie for guys who ask what to buy.

And apologies for boasting, but after a few practice landing approaches the Willow dropped gently into the target patch of soft grass, right on the lip. I have a particular spot for landing fragile mouldies and it’s really easy, if the wind’s off angle from the left as it often is.
Sep 07, 2012, 06:51 AM
Auzzie built planks
Nice one gizzo....so it must be call a. Aipper

Got to love those willow's , they do fly amazing for a cheap. Better than some of the high end stuff.

Tim
Latest blog entry: More colours
Sep 07, 2012, 07:42 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB
Ever seen a dog walk into a strange yard and strut around like it owns the place?? Well that was what the Willow did when I launched it at Shorncliffe.

Iíve flown some big planes at Shorncliffe before (Fazer, Caracho hybrid, etc), and itís been fun for the adrenaline buzz and the show-off factor. But not much fun for the flying Ė they had that woody stiff feel, out of their element, like a big performance car in a parking lot. The Willow took to that small lift zone like that cocky dog. Totally comfortable. For a 2.75m F3F plane, I was hugely pleased with how comfortable it felt. It looked big, but didnít feel big. It was more fun to fly than the Scratcho Ö huge endless looping, smooth rolls and carving F3F turns. My Vector doesnít feel that good at Shorncliffe. True to say Iím more in love with the Willow as time goes on and I try it in more situations. Itís becoming my most recommended mouldie for guys who ask what to buy.

And apologies for boasting, but after a few practice landing approaches the Willow dropped gently into the target patch of soft grass, right on the lip. I have a particular spot for landing fragile mouldies and itís really easy, if the windís off angle from the left as it often is.
Andrew - you movie-star you

http://www.falcongliders.com.au/Willow.html

BJ
Sep 07, 2012, 05:52 PM
Auzzie built planks
Mate....
That's got to be worth some type of sponsorship
Latest blog entry: More colours
Sep 08, 2012, 04:57 AM
C'mon more Energy
Wow putting the willow up and setting her down safe at Shorncliffe is heroic seriously no landing zone. big kahoonas Andrew. nice work.
Sep 08, 2012, 07:42 AM
AvB
AvB
No Mick, I was saying to Ezza today, that's what you'd think but the spot I land at is dead easy. There's a spot to the south of the usual spot, across the fence from the bus seat, and you can stand in a hollow right on the edge of the lip, with a good view both ways. It's just a matter of knowing that it's there, and doing a few approaches sliding up the slope from the creek end, pulling flaps and hovering over the lip and into the grass right on the lip. Believe me, it's easy!

PS that's an old video! One of the Bandicoot ones. That day was the maiden of both new planes ... aaah good memories of Bandicoot!

Quick Reply