New Precision Aerobatics Extra? - Page 35 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 10, 2008, 07:22 AM
dansmark-260

Downloaded G4 demo

I downloaded the G4 Demo, and it ran fine on my laptop.
I'm going to Hobbytown today to try-out G4 to see if it will
help me in the kind of 3D flight I saw at SEFF.

One of the old-timers at my club wants me to learn pattern flying before skiping right to 3D.
I'm just not interested in pattern, I like 3D... and beyond!
I've already designed and built three 3D planes, and they all seem to 3D just fine.
One is a 60-size (my favorite) called the UFO.

I am putting the finishing touches on my Extra-260 today, but won't get to fly it until tomorrow (got a billiard tournament to play in).

Thanks guys for the help!
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2008, 11:02 AM
dansmark-260

PA Extra 260 troubles

I finally got my Extra 260 finished!

Went to the club field this morning for the 1st flight.
All last minute checks completed... I did my "range check".
NO RESPONCE!
Again, NO RESPONCE!
I walked forward unitll I got a responce... 10'-0"
Crap!
The anticipation was crushed!
What the %&*$# is going on?

Apparently there are issues with carbon-fiber and radio signals!!!
Horizon wants me to send them my radio (5-7 day turn-around).
But this seems to be their "default" responce for most problems.

PA hasn't answered me yet about carbon-fiber/receiver problems.

I came back home and tried radio checks at 30 paces around the plane, and seemed to get a good responce at 2 different degrees (both of which seemed to be in the exact place where there was no carbon-fiber between the systems).
It seems the carbon-fiber "plate" may be the problem in reflecting the signal.

I tried my Pitts radio check, and got a good signal out to 50 paces, and 180 degrees around the plane (30 paces is the recommended distance according to the Spectrum manual).

I didn't bother checking my U-CAN-DO, or any of my other 12 planes because they don't have carbon-fiber.

I will post the responces from both vendors if you guys want them (when I get them).

I think I will end-up having to buy a NEW full-range receiver, and mount the 2 seperate receivers on bottom & top of the plane to make sure there is always a signal received by one or the other of them.

This makes me worry about the receiver losing the signal and rebooting.
I have read many stories of 2-6 second reboot problems with Spectum.
I hope they were wrong!

By the way...
I got my Realflight G4 simlator!
It's great!
I can 3D just fine!
I'd sure like to get a 50 Pitts Special for it though (Problems landing, you see!).

Dan
May 14, 2008, 11:30 AM
Heres, what the FAQ from Extra260.com says:

Will the CF in the FiberFusion construction cause radio interference?

CF is not only used on PA aircraft but on other RC models including up market RC helicopters and sailplanes with much success. The occurrence of radio interference depends a lot on the quality and condition of the radio gear, the compatibility between transmitters and receivers of differing brands and the actual flying site in question. Like all other EP aircraft, there are special considerations for the placement of the receiver, ESC and antenna routing. CF will not directly cause radio interference provided the receiver is kept well away from RF generating gear like ESC, battery cables and motors. We recommend that the antenna cable to be routed so as not to run parallel and in close proximity or contact with any conductive materials and RF generating equipment and to use a reputable full range receiver and not to shorten the antenna cable. For particularly interference prone flying fields, we recommend considering PCM or Spectrum based systems for better radio link integrity.
May 14, 2008, 11:42 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansmark-260
I hope they were wrong!

Dan
Dan,

That is a separate issue. The reboot problem comes from a drop in voltage from the ESC not from signal loss. Signal loss would result in a failsafe mode.

As for your problem, I have not seen any issues result from the CF in these airplanes before even with the 6100 (which I assume you are using). Do you have a different RX that you could put in the extra to range check it again?
May 14, 2008, 12:42 PM
Is this a new rx? Is it binded proprely?

Some guys even use the short single antenna rx inside fuselages that are entirely molded with CF without any issues.

Don't blame the cf... there's something else at work here. I use shortened antennas on all my PA planes and only once had an issue; rx failed, but it continued to fail tests on the bench completely removed from any intereference sources. also CC swapped it with service note "tested, failed, replaced with new"
May 14, 2008, 01:30 PM
dansmark-260

Extra 260 Troubles

Will the CF in the FiberFusion construction cause radio interference?

"Quote from my previous post:
I came back home and tried radio checks at 30 paces around the plane, and seemed to get a good responce at 2 different degrees (both of which seemed to be in the exact place where there was no carbon-fiber between the systems).
It seems the carbon-fiber "plate" may be the problem in reflecting the signal.
"

I don't understand why the signal would be getting through in certain places and not others.
But I will take the receiver out of my 60-size U-CAN-DO to check if there might be some of the same problems.
I also have an AR6100 that I will check with too.

Is this a new rx? Is it binded proprely?

My Spectrum Radio is about 9-10 months old.
Binded properly?... Don't insult please!
I've got 11 other planes that fly with this radio, but I will check each and every one.

I am using the AR6100E Spectrm receiver (brand new) and a brand new .20 size Motor 2908-10T & Welgard 30A ESC w/ BEC.
The only thing that is not new is the battery (11.1v 2100 and these have less than 15 flights).

I hope they were wrong!

There is CF plate (polished to glass-like consistency) in the front of my Extra 260, that MIGHT be reflecting the signal.
The signal MAY NOT be getting through for a range check.

Think about it...
The CF plate slanting downward from front towards the back...
Receiver DIRECTLY behind the slanted CF plate?? (3-5 inches as the crow flies).

I will do more tests on this setup, but I think I will find the reflection of the signal to be the culprit.
Why else would I start gettng a signal at 25-35 degrees off the front-side?

Dan
May 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Dan,

My thought is that I have seen so many people run that same RX in all of the PA planes and CF helis and CF gliders that I would look somewhere else first. But, you are the only one who knows exactly what's what with your equipment. We are just trying to throw out ideas.
May 14, 2008, 02:16 PM
Last edited by aflipz; May 14, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
May 14, 2008, 05:47 PM
They Call him Dead!
Dan,
You have PM
May 14, 2008, 06:00 PM
You brought two too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead
Dan,
You have PM

I thought Dan and Aflipz both had PMS!
May 15, 2008, 09:29 AM
dansmark-260

Extra 260 Troubles

What is PM?

Thanks guys, I'm just trying to understand why I'm having problems...
Your advise and suggestions are taken quite seriously.
You are the more advanced RC'r, and I'm just learning the in & outs of the hobby.

There could be many factors involved.
I will start the elimination process when time permits.
May 15, 2008, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=dansmark-260]What is PM?

...QUOTE]

Private Message, you can find the link to them near the upper right hand corner of this page. right under where it says "welcome (your name)"
Apr 02, 2009, 01:29 PM
looks like a solid plane, might just be my next bird as when is a this guy flying it, just amazing pilot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucU7k7cfj4c

Quick Reply