What do you use to hold your plane whilst starting - RC Groups
Jan 28, 2008, 02:43 PM
Discussion

What do you use to hold your plane whilst starting

Do you use

a your mate
b 2 screw drivers pushed inthe ground
c yourself

I need to find a model holder that spikes in the ground or make one.
Any ideas with pics please

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2008, 03:05 PM
God is good
Here's what I use . . .
Jan 28, 2008, 03:24 PM
... and here's mine. It's made from 15mm copper tube with "Yorkshire" fittings for the connections -- they have solder in them, so you just heat them up with a blowtorch or over the cooker to make the connections My spike was turned from brass by a friend, but if you don't have that luxury you can simply flatten the end of the tube. Foam pipe insulation protects the model.
Jan 28, 2008, 03:34 PM
great stuff, down to the local plumbers merchants then.
Jan 28, 2008, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundthebend
great stuff, down to the local plumbers merchants then.
For just starting and no runup or loads, I use a spike in the ground and a rope around the tail..
Jan 29, 2008, 01:18 AM
rwp
rwp
rwp
Here is one already built

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAR03&P=7
Jan 29, 2008, 12:17 PM
S.A.D. member
When a table (like in VP's post) is available, I'd use one. Otherwise - a big screwdriver stuck in the ground and a tie-down (made of rope).

Ivan
Jan 29, 2008, 02:26 PM
ARFs Are Me
Here's what I use. It's the safest, most reliable holder that I know of.
Jan 29, 2008, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
When a table (like in VP's post) is available, I'd use one. Otherwise - a big screwdriver stuck in the ground and a tie-down (made of rope).

Ivan

I use the same except with a large tent spike. Works great!
Jan 29, 2008, 05:11 PM
Quote:
a big screwdriver stuck in the ground and a tie-down (made of rope).
What he said
Jan 29, 2008, 10:05 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
I use my left hand.
Jan 30, 2008, 01:34 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
I use my left hand.
Extremely dangerous for the pilot and surrounding mates! It is a classical "How NOT to do it".

Ivan
Jan 30, 2008, 01:54 PM
Intermediate Multi
I like this approach. The starter is stationary, and you hold the plane with both hands:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...14&postcount=6

Tom
Jan 31, 2008, 11:36 AM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
I use my left hand.
Same here (Sorry, Ivan ). I only fly .40 size and my hand is big and strong enough to hold on to get her going. After that I adjust throttle waaay down to almost stopping and use the back of my ankles on the front of the stab to run it up and final adjust the trim (I do not wear nice shoes or pants).

When and if I go to bigger planes that my hand can not firmly hold securely (like the difference between grabbing a softball and palming a basketball) I would go with a tie down.

Addendum: That should read "nice shoes or nice pants" above, for all you that may have read it as "no pants".
Last edited by Tweener; Jan 31, 2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Addendum
Jan 31, 2008, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweener
Same here (Sorry, Ivan ). I only fly .40 size and my hand is big and strong enough to hold on to get her going. After that I adjust throttle waaay down to almost stopping and use the back of my ankles on the front of the stab to run it up and final adjust the trim (I do not wear nice shoes or pants). ...
I used to do that until one day, having adjusted the throttle down to idle after the engine fired, I threw my electric starter aside so I could move to the back of the model. Well, the starter's cable snagged the throttle lever on my transmitter and opened it up to WOT while I was still kneeling in front of the model and holding it with one hand

Long trousers were no match for the prop, and I ended up with 8 stitches in my thigh.

Next week I had my copper-pipe restraint